Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing new diesel car from the UK?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of bringing in a new diesel from the UK, the deal NOW looks better than the anticipated POST July price of the car in Ireland, even after the prices here have dropped. The saving may be around 2-3K. Is there any downside to this that I am missing? The UK car would also have a better spec.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

You'll probably have to pay VAT & VRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Out of interest what car are you thinking of bringing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

MPH Speedo as oppossed to KPH

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Moanin wrote: »
    MPH Speedo as oppossed to KPH

If saving €2k to €3k on a similar car here, I'd get over that pretty quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The main problem with buying a new car(anything less than 6 months old qualifies as "new") in the UK is that you have to pay VAT twice. You pay VAT over there, and as well as paying VRT here which you do on any import, because it's a new car you have to pay 21% VAT too when it's brought in here. You can thank the SIMI for that idea.

The mph speedo is hardly a drawback, since all mph speedos have the markings in km/h too(it's never the other way around though, which is a pity for anyone living near the border).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

bazz26 wrote: »
    If saving €2k to €3k on a similar car here, I'd get over that pretty quick.

All very fine but you may run into trouble when trying to sell it in the future

Advertisement