Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows tapping window

Options
  • 28-04-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Girl in work here constantly being woken up and annoyed by crows tapping on her windows
    Anybody got a (humane) way of stopping this happenning?

Cheers
    HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I think I heard that if you get a large cutout picture of a bigger bird of prey it will deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Had a similar problem here with them tapping on a piece of timber outside trying to either nest or get at the starlings who usually nest there. So annoying, fixed the timber a bit so they gave up on it but god they were loud.

There are sonic deterrents not sure how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Would this affect her dogs?
    She has 2 dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

the reason why they are taping ye window is a reflection (like a mirror)to them thinking that theres another crow!(females or males)ye window must be sparkling clean.Get a bar of soap and run a few lines on the window which stops the reflection.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

a decoy owl works a treat!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Heres two silhouettes to print they might be worth trying.

gerky wrote: »
    that might make the crows randy when they see that:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

davey180 wrote: »
    that might make the crows randy when they see that:p:D

Pin ups:D

These type of raptor cut outs work well with some birds I don't know if they'll work with crow but sure their worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I heard somewhere at some stage (!) that birds like the putty around the window panes and they pick at it ....
    Not sure whether that's true !

ValerieR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ValerieR wrote: »
    I heard somewhere at some stage (!) that birds like the putty around the window panes and they pick at it ....
    Not sure whether that's true ! ValerieR
    It's the linseed oil in it that the birds like. I used to pick new putty out of my folks glasshouse myself as a kid thinking it was plasticeen. :)

It's the linseed oil in it that the birds like. I used to pick new putty out of my folks glasshouse myself as a kid thinking it was plasticeen. :)
    or play doh!
    250px-Play-doh-pot.jpg
    :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jax2girl

Hi all

In desperation at this stage because of grey crows attacking 4 windows in my house, it starts at about 7 in the morning and goes on all day, when i scare them from one window they move to another room my windows are all scored they have eaten / pecked the black seal around the windows. They have carried mice and worms to the sill and there is blood on windows and sills as well as lots and lots of bird **** they peck and peck.

I have tried everything humane and am now considering other methods as a last resort. I am a nervous wreck and they are really big and aggressive. I feel like i'm in an alfred hitchcock film!!!!!

This has been going on for a week now and I have had several nightmares where I woke up screaming - please help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try the sonic detterrents the one specifically for birds dont think they effect dogs or cats those ones.

There are pidgeon spikes you can put on a window as a last resort the birds wont hurt themselves because they will see it and not want to land on the window but this should only be used if you know no cat or small child etc would be at the window sill. It just stops them from wanting to land on it.

Window boxes might be another option with some thorny plants in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jax2girl

will try anything at this stage, will look for sonic thing.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Crows and magpies like to collect shiny things, is she leaving jewellery or money on the window sill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

No, she actually got blackout curtains as she thought the birds were seeing something in the room that attracted them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Couldnt resist, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YLwGzhyoA
    1min 13sec in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Try the sonic detterrents the one specifically for birds dont think they effect dogs or cats those ones.

Please don't use anything like this as it deters/scares all birds including the songbirds we are all trying to encourage to breed at this time of year. A sonic deterrent is grossly unfair to all birds!

I founds CDs suspended above the pane of glass did the trick at my house many years ago.

bandit197 wrote: »
    1min 13sec in.
    alright funny video but to show how to get rid of them is not good imo.

• Advertisement

bandit197 wrote: »

1min 13sec in.

Brilliant video, love D'Unbelievables,,,,

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's only one solution

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There's only one solution
    #

The Legendary Worzel Gummidge, ha ha i just bought two dvds of him last month. Havent watched them yet...

gversey wrote: »
    #

The Legendary Worzel Gummidge, ha ha i just bought two dvds of him last month. Havent watched them yet...
    put the dvds on the window sills and it might work:p

his face might scare everyone from knockin

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

There is only one way I'm afraid. Crows, especially grey crows are very habitual. It happened where I worked and they did it every day for about 3 years and the amount of poo they left behind was awful. They were poisoned all different types of ways but survived. When the milkman came each morning they would peck open all the milk and there would be milk everywhere outside the building. They peeved everybody off! They got shot in the end.... I know it seems terrible but they are considered vermin. maybe you should ask around locally for a local hunter and ask him/her to "take out" your greys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

The silhouette thing of the birds of prey are really worth a try, I imagine you'd need to print them out fairly big to scare off crows though! I had a pair of swallows in my workshop for two days last week, they flew in while the doors were open, tried everything to coax them out but no go - I was afraid they were going to nest there, which I didnt want as I have to close up at night - in desperation cut out a shape of a large bird out of black card and stuck on a white wall - they sat looking at it for a couple of minutes, made a lot of chirping noises and then scarpered!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Unfortunately grey crows are quite clever so I doubt a printout or even a silhouette of a bird of prey will deter them. It might work for a few hours or even a couple of days but greys are quite clever and are scavengers and if they see another bird on what they believe to be their territory they would be inclined to push their way back. Nevertheless it's worth a try, anything is if you think it'll work. However I still believe there is only one way......

found a irish site
    http://www.dazer.ie/other-products-page41942-0-7201.html
    and this
    owl
    402443070_3140d6bb1f.jpg?v=0

A mini scarecrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barking

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Thanks for the silhouettes!
    had tried the birdwatch ire site and they had nothing,
    am having problem with rooks(?) eating the cats food and terrorising the dog.
    would love to get them to move house
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

gerky wrote: »

Advertisement