Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slabbing and insulating what options?

• 28-04-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Ok getting to the stage where i need to start slabbing and insulating! I must talk to my engineer but would like to hear what others are doing; for the down stairs joists what insulation is to be used and a foil back plaster slab 12.5mm or 15mm?

Upstairs in the pitched roof rockwool/fibreglass or kingspan board and foilback or normal plasterslab?

Dividing studs what insulation and what sort of slab?

I am putting the insulated slab on the internal side of all external walls is the aeroboard version as good as the kingspan?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i would recommend 'slabbing' out and wet rooms with WBP 'marineply' rather than plasterboards, in the case the walls are ever tiled.

'aeroboard' (polystyrene) drylining hasnt as good thermal performance as 'kingspan' (polyisocyanurate)......

whatever insulation you use needs to comply with regulations. This really should be decided before construction begins, and allowances made to suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

contact xtratherm or kingspan insulation direct, and ask for the technical dept. Describe the building methodology - floors, walls and roofs and they will specify the exact products needed to comply with building regulations.
    Forget about about older 'white' aeroboard products, as you would need extraordinary thicknesses to comply with Part L.
    Reducing cold bridging is also very important, as is airtightness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

its also evry important and not very often mentioned but if you have a cold attic space avoid using thinner high performance insulations between the ceiling joists as they make the timber into a cold bridge. Its better to use insulation between and above the slabs or using insulation backed plasterboard below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Incidentally I have a rep coming out this week from an insulation company and would like to get some BTDT inputs..

1. What insulation if any, would you use between ground and first floor, my partner likes the idea of rising heat from the living space to the bedrooms but I'm worried about noise transfer.

2. Again in the stud walls on the first floor, I've been advised to insualte the bathrooms for noise, what have others done? Would you insulate all stud walls?

I understand what I'm working towards on the outer perimiter of insulation against the "outside" cold.. It's just the internal insulation I'm unsure off.

Thanks
    bam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

To insulate a ceiling/ FF;
    Mass is key to sound transfer, and air tightness between the two areas is also paramount.
    Typical well soundproofed timber floor;
    Timber floor finish - laminates/ semisolids etc on
    proprietary foam roll on
    cork amt insulating layer such as regupol
    on joists
    infilled with dense rockwool (sound) insulation
    2 layers plasterboard staggered joints skimmed
    all service opes well plugged

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/sw59440.asp
    the details described here are more suitable for seperating different dwellings - apartments

• Advertisement
Advertisement