Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conversion

• 28-04-2008 11:31am

Hi all,

I'm doing some research for a friend regarding a Camper Conversion that he wishes to pursue.

He bought a Leyland there 2 years ago with the hope to convert it, time and basically time pondered this project. It was originally a Mobile Library, it's year is 1992 and the engine is a 5880 c.c.

My question is, would this vehicle be deemed to large to be classed as a Camper Van?

I don't have exact measurements at hand to post here, though I do have a couple off pictures of the same vehicle and if someone was so kind to help me and needed to look at these as to draw a conclusion, I be only to happy to P.M them.

Again, thank you in advance..

James..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As far as I'm aware, there are no size limitations on a camper conversion. Just look at some of the huge yokes that come over from the US.

The only criteria from the revenues point of view are the usual camper criteria like interior height, cooker, bed, sink etc.

Some insurances do draw the line at a 6000 cc engine though

Peasant, thank you for the reply.

All is not lost it seems.

He's trying to get the ball rolling on this as to have it ready for Electric Picinic and has a mechanic/carpenter lined up to do whatever is neccessary for certification.

Again, thank you..

James..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

There is a section about self build Motorhomes on www.campsitereview.com might be useful.:)

Hi all,

Didn't wish to post a new thread.

I have a question regarding the above vehicle.

As mentioned earlier, the project was somewhat hindered and delayed for over 2 years. Where the vehicle was parked up for that time, my friend who owns the vehicle got a mate off his who is a mechanic to give it a look over, which he did, he took it to a CIE bus garage to where he could examine it thoroughly with a mate off his who worked there.

After looking at the vehicle, they said that it wouldn't pass a DOE test, due to that fact that the underside off the vehicle was very rusty due to being parked up for the 2 years on a grass margin.

Now, this is where my mate asked me if I could ask people in the know, You!

Is it compulsory for the same vehicle to undergo a DOE test?

I know it is probably the case, though I think what is hurting him more is the fact that the vehicle is somewhat worthless now, and after paying €7000 for it, I know it would hurt me.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards & Much Thanks in advance.

James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Currently motorhomes are not subject to vehicle testing, neither DOE nor NCT. Most insurance companies on setting up the first policy do want to see an engineers report though.

But leaving that aside ...your friend wouldn't seriously consider taking his family on holidays in a vehicle that is likely to break in half any time, would he?

• Advertisement
Advertisement