Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instantly loved up?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

In the midst of all these threads about girls finding it difficult to meet nice men and 'he is just not that into you', I would like to hear stories on how it went well for some couples from the get-go...

For all the loved up ones, do you have heart warming 'it was right from day one' stories to tell us...

SS

(No bad stories please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't know if there was ever a flashing blinky sign of a moment.

But from almost day one, I knew if we could swing it (we're from different continents) I'd met my future husband. (So I proposed to him 5 weeks after meeting and we were married just over a year later)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, i know the moment i seen him.

well okay, i may have been full of rum and the beer googles were on but sure it all worked out in the end - eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Im curious how - was there no BS about this 'who calls who first' etc etc Did it all just fall into place?

I think people needlessly complicate relationships by deciding that men and women are "different" and it's "impossible to understand the other sex".

No.

Just, no.

People have interests in things, sometimes you share them and sometimes you don't. It'd be pretty boring to be with someone who has the exact same interests as you, because if so you'd never have a need to broaden your horizons. But it's also nice to have someone who you can talk to at length about what matters to you most - it's important to have a mix.

People like it when people are nice to them. Be nice to your partner, your friends, to strangers on the street. Don't be a gob sh*te and people will be nice to you back - your life will be much simpler.

Headgames are for people who want drama. If you want drama, go for the whole ridiculous "who should call who first" crap. Otherwise, just do what feels right - but don't fall into the trap of laziness where you just don't make contact because you're too busy. Make time for people.

Honestly, as humans, our needs are simple - to have a laugh, to feel appreciated. It's not a question of women and men or women versus men, it's just a question of whether you're any good at getting along with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Xiney, it's amazing how alike your post is to the text from some psychology text books, and yet people keep going out and buying the various dating strategy guide books, that are TBH the worse pieces of literary garbage there are, and wondering why following the advice in those books didn't work. Glad to hear you'd the sense to keep things simple and found someone to be happy with.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Met my Gf on our first day in work together. Both of us were the new guys, havent looked back since!

I did most of the chasing as i think she thought I was a jack the lad :rolleyes:
    But won her over after a while!

No bulls**t I liked her and I told her so

farohar wrote: »
    Xiney, it's amazing how alike your post is to the text from some psychology text books, and yet people keep going out and buying the various dating strategy guide books, that are TBH the worse pieces of literary garbage there are, and wondering why following the advice in those books didn't work. Glad to hear you'd the sense to keep things simple and found someone to be happy with.:)

I have various theories on why people feel the need to fill up their lives with drama.

I think people need to spend more time developing their interests than attempting to model their lives off of those showcased on television :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Mr HS is a straight down the line kind of guy. When I met him he made it clear he was interested. He'd arrange a date to meet and that was that. It was the first guy in long time who didn't play stupid games. He's still exactly like that; if he has something to say he just tells it straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I met my wife in work, although when I first started working there I was seeing someone else. After that relationship ended I started picking up on signs that she was interested in me, we started dating and it was just perfect from the first date.

We got engaged within a couple of months and were married just over a year after starting to date. I'd had two long term (3 year+) relationships beforehand and I never felt as comfortable in them as I did within two dates with my wife. I knew inside the first two weeks that I was going to ask her to marry me, and luckily she said yes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Im curious how - was there no BS about this 'who calls who first' etc etc Did it all just fall into place?

yeah, i dont beieve in playing games or these rules things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Gwenneh

We knew the moment we laid eyes on each other. It was something of an awkward situation; neither of us were looking for someone new, I was engaged and he was aware of that fact so being very cautious.

Nevertheless, we knew; despite the fact that we lived 3500 miles away from each other, we made it work. We met for the first time in March, had a long-distance relationship until that July (only seeing each other two times in between!), were engaged in October, and were married the following February. That was several years ago now and I've no doubt the choices I made were the right ones.

Sometimes, you just know.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Yep, I knew from the start that it was all good. Mind you, I was 18 and didn't have much of a base for comparison - but eleven years on it still feels all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Oh yeah, My Oh used to drink in the pub I worked in, I was only 15-16 at the time, and I used to tell my friends "He wants me!" And they used to be laughing at me, "yeah right". He was a fine bit of stuff...

I was down in the Big Tree one night, and I got talking to him and there was a definite buzz between us...He brought me home that night, And tbh I couldn't get rid of him after that.:) He told me he loved me after 3 weeks...

After almost 13 years together, He still makes me laugh, and I still get the flutters when I think about him. we are best mates, I trust him and love him...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No there was none of that - people seem to overcomplicate these things nowadays. You'd need a manual with all the rules there are now!

It was good from the start with my hubby, within a few months I knew he was the one - and we're married 25 years now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I met my oh in work, I was there 3 months or so, he smiled at me over the lunch time poker session, the following night on a work night out we very drunkenly snogged and that was more or less that. Two techie geeks who were crazy about one another. No messing, no bulls**t just us. I've never been happier. Games are for kids and if he's right why mess about pretending he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We both knew we liked each other from our first meeting, thanks to a mutual friend. He asked for my number, texted me, we met up for coffee in the afternoon and finished the "date" about 12 hours later a couple! Weird thing was he told me he never thought I'd show up :)

He told me he loved me within a week and I felt the same way, been together almost 3 years now - never been happier. We are still finding things we have in common and are lucky that way but there are lots of things that irritate me about him and vice versa. I don't know if I'm especially tolerant (doubt it) or if people are not willing to put up with stuff like that, but it's all part of it. You take the good with the bad for your friends and family members - why not with BFs and GFs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

16 years ago I met a girl that swept me off my feet, I didn't know what hit me. After a few weeks i acted the maggot, but the truth is that I was terrified, things were going way too fast. She moved to the states. I've generally been the local bollix since then.
    Fate threw us together again last christmas. I know she's the one, she's the girl I've been judging others by ever since. She however is wary, a couple of failed relationships on her side and I've a lot of miles on the clock. This story isn't finished yet but I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

8 years ago i met my OH (Now my fiance) across a crowded nightclub, before that i had only gone for one night snogs etc etc and was loving the single life. Met him and totally changed (for the better) :D

Now still madly in love, and never looked back. He's perfect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

2 stroke wrote: »
    16 years ago I met a girl that swept me off my feet, I didn't know what hit me. After a few weeks i acted the maggot, but the truth is that I was terrified, things were going way too fast. She moved to the states. I've generally been the local bollix since then.
    Fate threw us together again last christmas. I know she's the one, she's the girl I've been judging others by ever since. She however is wary, a couple of failed relationships on her side and I've a lot of miles on the clock. This story isn't finished yet but I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Well as some of you know I was with someone who just wasn't that in to me (fair enough, not his fault) and was dumped at the start of this year....a week later I met the most amazing guy. I knew instantly this was the man for me (have never said that before about anyone) and he feels the same way. It's almost 4 months now and we're both completely loved up and most importantly on the same page. I honestly think this is the one for me, have never felt this way about anyone before where I just feel that we're perfect for eachother. Anyone that knows us thinks the same.

Couldn't be happier, big shout out to the guy that dumped me in January because if he didn't I wouldn't have met the man of my dreams :D No issues, no drama, no mind games....it's great.

Fast forward 6 months when he breaks my heart probably. Ah no, this one's a keeper :) Best feeling in the world!

Reading that back I'm a sap. Boo :pac:

Just goes to show though that everything happens for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

awh i love all your stories, so there is some hope for me yet!

geminilady wrote: »
    awh i love all your stories, so there is some hope for me yet!

Definitely chick! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

There will be,it sounds like a cliche, but sometimes it just takes time.
    Or if you can't wait, hang out by your supermarket :D

I think I may have told this story here before, but here goes.

About 8 years ago I was working part-time in a supermarket near my house. One evening when coming home from work I met a group of lads, who for kicks were saying hello to random people seeing who'd say hello back (better than bricking yer gaff I guess, they were however slightly stoned, so not totally pillars of society, anyway). Me being afraid ****less of a big group of lads decided to say hello, and my OH was amongst the group. I didn't notice him instantly but as I got to know the guys and hung out with them several times he caught my eye, and I'd find myself thinking about him.

I started however to go with another one of the lads. However that ended up with a car crash-esque break up 2 years down the line, but even whilst going out with x guy I kept thinking about my current guy.

I knew that I loved him when one day, I met up a group of friends for a picnic and a kick-about in a park in town, and he was there with his then girlfriend. She was really alternative, not the sharpest pencil in the box mind, but very pretty, cool, and she was a good friend of my best friend's, so it was a no-go zone and I thought he'd never be interested in me as I'm not as cool as her, etc, etc. I just knew that I loved him though. I saw him with her, and it clicked, I'd been thinking about him all that time but never knew that I'd been thinking of him in a relationship-y way. I saw him with her, I saw how caring, how sweet, how great he was and just thought, that should be me.

A while later, after he broke up with her, we'd met each other at various different parties and nights out and exchanged numbers. A text message and a dance at a pub later, our lips met, and we've been with each other ever since..and that was nearly 5 years ago.

We've been through the best of times, we've been through the worst of times, in our own personal lives, but in all of it we've stuck with each other, helped each other out, been nothing but open and supportive, and I really can't imagine my life with out my man.

And how do I know he's the one? Well as someone's mam once put it to me, if you can fart in front of him, then you know yer on to something :)
    (Not that me farting is a regular occurence. Ladies don't fart :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Well as some of you know I was with someone who just wasn't that in to me (fair enough, not his fault) and was dumped at the start of this year....a week later I met the most amazing guy. I knew instantly this was the man for me (have never said that before about anyone) and he feels the same way. It's almost 4 months now and we're both completely loved up and most importantly on the same page. I honestly think this is the one for me, have never felt this way about anyone before where I just feel that we're perfect for eachother. Anyone that knows us thinks the same.

Couldn't be happier, big shout out to the guy that dumped me in January because if he didn't I wouldn't have met the man of my dreams :D No issues, no drama, no mind games....it's great.

Fast forward 6 months when he breaks my heart probably. Ah no, this one's a keeper :) Best feeling in the world!

Reading that back I'm a sap. Boo :pac:

Just goes to show though that everything happens for a reason.

Ah Clare thats so cute... Am delighted for you ;)

Ah Clare thats so cute... Am delighted for you ;)

Aww thanks SS ;) Was trying not to sound like a complete sap but I failed! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

never really fallen for anyone, so i guess i'm still waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

And how do I know he's the one? Well as someone's mam once put it to me, if you can fart in front of him, then you know yer on to something :)
    (Not that me farting is a regular occurence. Ladies don't fart :) )

lol, sorry, just think this is funny. i fart in front of everyone. not loudly or on purpose, but i'm just not paranoid about bodily functions. i don't think this makes them all 'the one'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

y'never know :)
    Meh, at the end of the day, what does the "one" really mean, as long as you're happy. And hey, polygamy isn't a crime, right... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heh, actually only posting here because i'm desperately trying to avoid the last section of my thesis (due tomorrow at 3pm, joy) but here it goes.

My girlfriend was originally in the year ahead of me in college, was away on erasmus for a year and then thanks to a few things had to repeat in my year. She caught my eye when she first started attending lectures in my year, but me living on campus, always being out etc. meant that any time we talked I was usually hungover or somesuch and felt like an absolute tool because i was in no fit state to have a conversation and couldnt be in any way smooth or suave or anything.

So roll around the day before paddys day of last year, and I happen to go out with my brother and a friend of his for a few in town. Run into her and a few of her friends, all of one of her friends bail and i invite her and her friend out with us. Long story short, we shared a very drunken kiss that night, I walked her to a taxi, and the next day we arranged a date for the day after paddys. I nearly scuppered things there and then by being too afraid to cancel the date, and instead simply turning hungover to shreds. She still says that what saved my ass was the fact that about five minutes after we parted ways i texted her apologising and swearing I wasn't normally that useless ;)

Since then, she's been instrumental in getting my life back on track in a lot of ways. I used never actually attend lectures, and started more and more simply because i wanted to see her. thanks to this, i started to enjoy my course again, have worked harder at it and brought my marks around a lot.

We've now been going out for a year and two months, and I love her to bits. We're travelling for 3 months together in the summer, and I can't wait. As much as she annoys or frustrates me sometimes, or I her, I can't think of anything except waking up every morning for 3 months with her beside me :)

anyway, there's my being a sap bit. Slán ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

y'never know :)
    Meh, at the end of the day, what does the "one" really mean, as long as you're happy. And hey, polygamy isn't a crime, right... :P

Polygamy may be illegal, but polyamory isn't.;)

Advertisement