Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instantly loved up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

OK stick with me on this one! I am 42 and lived in the UK for most of my life, I then joined the army at 16 and travelled extensively. Since I left in 1997 I have never been able to settle in one place for more than about 2 1/2yrs. I was living in the south west of the UK and my ex said just before xmas 2005 that we should split.

She still called me on the phone and we also still met for shopping/sex/drinks etc, she said she loved me but couldn't live with me. (strange I know) Well she basically threw me out of her house, but did support me as much as she could by giving me the train fare to cornwall for the weekend so I could stay with a friend. I then managed to get a place in a homeless hostel and she paid for my coach fare back.

I went to Ireland to visit some mates who had moved here a while ago. As I was a DJ they asked me to do a gig at a nightclub here. While I was in the pub having some drinks before the gig, I met a nice lady who was with her friend. She thought I was a bit flsh with my chinese silk shirt and bleached hair, (toned the hair down now, still wear the shirts though!) Anyway eventually her friend said here's her number call her!

So I did and we got on like a house on fire, in fact she used to call me mobile for hours every night, and we just started to click. Then one night I said I have a few week's when I don't have to sign on, and I will get my money early. So then I called her bluff and said I could come over. I was very surprised when she said she would send me the money for the plane fare! But she said she really wanted to see me.

She said she would be wearing blue tracksuit bottoms, and a red t shirt. When I got to the airport I couldn't see her. So I changed my money and went to the Vodafone shop for some credit. But the thing wouldn't go onto my phone and the guy said I could either try later or have a refund and try somewhere else. I said I was supossed to be meeting someone and needed to call them. I had a text bundle but it was only for UK numbers. So he said I could use the shop's phone.

I called my g/f ans she said she had just passed me! She was being bold! She wasn't wearing what she said so she could walk away if she didn't like the look of me! Anyway we found eachother and went back to her place. I wasn't planning on sleeping in the same bed as her, but we got on so well, it just happened. The rest is history as they say :D

Well I got thinking, 'what do i have in the UK? - nothing, my parents have passed away, my brother & sister don't speak to me, (lonnnggg story!), so why not move? When I got back to UK I went to my ex and said it was over and I was moving to Ireland to live. She tried to stop me and even told me the bus was cancelled and I would have to stay over at hers. But I had enough money to get a cab back to the hostel so that took the wind out of her sails. She was gushing at the bus stop and actually if I am honest so was I inside. I didn't look back as I didn't want to show my true feelings.

But really if I was honest we were using eachother, she would call me and say she was coming over and meet here for a drink etc. We should have split completly and that would have been better. When I came back to Ireland, (sounds like I lived here already!) I had my 40th birthday, my ex called me and told me that she was pregnant but she was going to tell me for my birthday. Yes I was disapointed as i do not have any children, but I don't think I am finacially or maturely stable enough to have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Met my bf just after christmas this year, seen him in the pub and we made eye contact i thought he was sooo cute. Within about 2 mins he was over talking to me, got on great but at the time i was thinking that you never meet anyone decent in pubs etc so at the end of the night my friend had invited him back to her apartment and yes i slept with him...I was gutted cos i thought that was it now ill never hear from him, but the following day we spent the whole day together and it was just so comfortable!! Anyway, roll on the Wednesday of the following week and he txt me asking me out, i couldnt believe it. As others were saying, theres no bull****, no games we just get on so well, have such a laugh and for the first time in years im in love again and i actually cant believe my luck. Im sooo happy :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm DJ Spider, that story is different to the previous one you posted on how you met your gf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

irishbird wrote: »
    hmmm DJ Spider, that story is different to the previous one you posted on how you met your gf

Yeah thought that myself....maybe he was referring to a different relationship....

BUSTED! LOL OK the lady I am with now I did meet at the nightclub, but didn't realise she was one of the ladies who replied to my txts! :eek: If you want the full story look here http://tinyurl.com/5jdt68 :D I actually couldn't remember where I posted my story, so I used the one on my Yahoo 360 page! Must go back and update it!

But at the end of the day, I'm happy, she's happy and that's what matters. She still hasn't told her brothers & sisters the truth, but who cares! :D:D:D I think these days with the internet, mobiles and TV people are not writing letters, or going to bars to make friends, it is so much easier to use technology.

I hope you all find what you are looking for and have a happy and long life

DJ Spider
    :D :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Met my girlfriend on boards actually !! I posted up a picture of myself in the KYN thread and she gave a little "Hello ;)" to my photo, i was with someone else at the time she posted it but I didn't see it until that relationship was over. So I said I'd send her a pm, its nice to meet new people and I was a little flattered too :o We hit it off instantly and had conversations that went on for hours but one of the unfortunate things about our friendship was the physical distance as she is living in Cork and I'm in Dublin. We didn't let distance get in the way of being happy and we've been seeing each other since last february, but have been a couple for the past nine months now and I couldn't be happier :)

Love ya babeh !!

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Well as some of you know I was with someone who just wasn't that in to me (fair enough, not his fault) and was dumped at the start of this year....a week later I met the most amazing guy. I knew instantly this was the man for me (have never said that before about anyone) and he feels the same way. It's almost 4 months now and we're both completely loved up and most importantly on the same page. I honestly think this is the one for me, have never felt this way about anyone before where I just feel that we're perfect for eachother. Anyone that knows us thinks the same.

Couldn't be happier, big shout out to the guy that dumped me in January because if he didn't I wouldn't have met the man of my dreams :D No issues, no drama, no mind games....it's great.

Fast forward 6 months when he breaks my heart probably. Ah no, this one's a keeper :) Best feeling in the world!

Reading that back I'm a sap. Boo :pac:

Just goes to show though that everything happens for a reason.

It's true! they're the most sickenly, adorable couple I've ever come across..:rolleyes: Ah no, but they're LOVELY so ya can't even ask for a bucket..:p Clarebear , I only jest, You know I love ya chick!;):D

So you see Crumble Froo, love conquers all! Damn technology, but you persevered and look what happened. All the best and don't forget us here in cold, wet, windy Ireland :eek:

Cazlou wrote: »
    It's true! they're the most sickenly, adorable couple I've ever come across..:rolleyes: Ah no, but they're LOVELY so ya can't even ask for a bucket..:p Clarebear , I only jest, You know I love ya chick!;):D

Ha ha ha biatchslaps on their way for you Caz!!!! :p

Crumble Foo that's really great. And sounds like it's been worth all the hassle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well when people ask me when we met it's always a tricky one to answer. truth be told we kinda knew each other from my ex. he is friends with him but my ex never brought me out with his mates. (he kept me a secret for 4 years) but i knew of my OH. didn't think he was good looking but one day i saw him from their apt balcony and i just thought wow he looks good two months later when cork beat waterford in semi final i went out with him and my ex to get over another guy (very complicated i know) and on the dance floor i leaned up (he is 6,4 and im only 5ft) to say something and he snogged the face off me. we spent all night talking and he went to work with no sleep a few hours later. when he left me he never asked for my number and i wasn't bothered really as still getting over this other person so when he txt 3 days later i was happy. took it handy and never looked back since. 20 months later. he is the one for me. even when i get a txt from him 20 months later i still get the feeling of when we were first dating. it's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

We were friends from the first minute we met, and I was definitely all love-eyed by the end of that first evening, but it took us a good 9 months to actually begin dating because we are both terminally shy. We are still best of friends, lovers, partners and now sponses, 10 years later, and we haven't had a single row in all that time. Loving every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Met my girlfriend on boards actually !! I posted up a picture of myself in the KYN thread and she gave a little "Hello ;)" to my photo, i was with someone else at the time she posted it but I didn't see it until that relationship was over. So I said I'd send her a pm, its nice to meet new people and I was a little flattered too :o We hit it off instantly and had conversations that went on for hours but one of the unfortunate things about our friendship was the physical distance as she is living in Cork and I'm in Dublin. We didn't let distance get in the way of being happy and we've been seeing each other since last february, but have been a couple for the past nine months now and I couldn't be happier :)

Love ya babeh !!

:pac::pac:

Love ya too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

All of these stories would do the heart good :) Any more???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

We met one night and got talking, went to the cinema the next day (he suggested it, was happily surprised!).

He came over the next night, took the day off college the day after to spend more time with him, spent the weekend together and that was it really. The longest we've gone without seeing each other since is 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I first spotted him in college and thought that he was cute, then a few months later he tried to chat me up for the societies week (he was auditor of one of the college societies). I said no as I had my Masters to think about that year. The following year I ended up dating his friend but on our first date he turned up and again tried to chat me up, 3 weeks later we were dating and while we had a lot of ups and downs since we are very happily married now (1 year 5 months today :D). He first proposed after 7 months...

The longest that we were apart was 2 days until he had to go away to India to his brothers wedding (I wasn't well at the time), he proposed for the final time when he got back and we got married 3 months later, though we had been on the phone for an hour every day (thank you Skype!)

The thing that I learned from our relationship was that if someone is meant for you they will not pass you by. We had quite a few breaks in our time but we remained friends, we still are and he can always make me laugh. The song that reminds me of him is "Shes all good love in the once" by Robert Palmer. In fact when I heard it the other day after not hearing it in many years I started to cry as I always wanted to feel that way about someone and now I do with my hubby (we were staring into one anothers eyes at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My bf knew we'd be great together just after we met on St Patricks day through friends. I didn't think anything of the kind. He chased me (in the shyest, most laid back way you can!) for about 4 months. We'd meet up for drinks or dinner or if we met up at mutual friends houses he'd chat loads to me and as I got to know him more and realised that there could be something there. Just as I was getting to this stage his working holiday visa ran out. He was supposed to go back to NZ and that'd be that. He decided to throw caution to the wind and renew his visa (thank god he was in a situation where he could). He was in NZ for three weeks and I missed him so much I realised it really was something special and to give it a go.

We moved in together after 6 months and now over a year later I've moved over to New Zealand with him. All I can say is I'm really glad he decided I was worth staying in Ireland for and he renewed his visa! I agree with the other posters, it's hard to explain, when you know, you know!

EDIT: This thread is lovely, but we really are all such saps at heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Met my boyfriend online years ago when chat rooms were the in thing. At the time when you logged into this particular chat room it showed where your ip address was logged. We noticed that we were both from Ireland so started yapping online. We talked online for about a year, then started phoning each other. I was very young so wasn't inclined to meet up with anyone off the net. We used to have such fun on the phone. He made me laugh so much that by the end of the phone calls my cheeks would actually hurt. Eventually he persuaded me to meet him and I was smitten. We didn't even kiss the first time we met but I knew I was mad about him. I was still too young for a very serious relationship though and he knew it. We talked online and on the phone even more after that and met up a few months afterwards. He bought me the most gorgeous present the 2nd time we met. Our social lives took over a small bit after that and we didn't talk as much but I phoned his house one day to find out he was in hospital. I didn't want to go in incase I bumped into his family but he rang me that night and said I was the only one he wanted to talk to while he felt like crap. After that he was off work for a while so we talked even more. We met up in my local as soon as he felt better and we've been glued to each other ever since. Everyone that knows us say that we're the perfect couple. We very rarely get sick of each other. We have such a laugh together. We're together 7 years now. We must have started talking to each other about 9 years ago. It's scary really that it's been that long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Well as some of you know I was with someone who just wasn't that in to me (fair enough, not his fault) and was dumped at the start of this year....a week later I met the most amazing guy. I knew instantly this was the man for me (have never said that before about anyone) and he feels the same way. It's almost 4 months now and we're both completely loved up and most importantly on the same page. I honestly think this is the one for me, have never felt this way about anyone before where I just feel that we're perfect for eachother. Anyone that knows us thinks the same.

Couldn't be happier, big shout out to the guy that dumped me in January because if he didn't I wouldn't have met the man of my dreams :D No issues, no drama, no mind games....it's great.

Fast forward 6 months when he breaks my heart probably. Ah no, this one's a keeper :) Best feeling in the world!

Reading that back I'm a sap. Boo :pac:

Just goes to show though that everything happens for a reason.
    Aw that's excellent Clare. I remember your posts about being dumped and I was very struck by how heartbroken you were, so when you started talking about a boyfriend really shortly afterwards I was wondering if you had got back with him or something. Yeah, if ever there was proof needed that things happen for a reason... well that's just a perfect example. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I met my girlfriend through a couple of friends. But we didn't go out untill two years into our friendship. But I'd always liked her but didn't know how to send the message (Apart from a few drunken texts) and apparently she was the same. So we were both there liking each oher but too afraid to do anything about it till one night when 5 or 6 of us were all going out and *apparently* we were flirting with each other like mad! (I was informed by a friend)
    So her girl friends started talking and eventually persuaded her that I really did like her and that night SHE asked me out.
    And the next day we met up in town and to this day it was the best day of my life and I'll never forget it. Although our first kiss was ruined by a mate :rolleyes:
    We've been together for one year and 4 months now and I've only just turned 18 :pac: Madness!
    I'm always being slagged because apparently we'll end up married! But to be honest if things stay as good as they are now I wouldn't be complaining one bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

If you ever need self-validation
    just meet me in the alley at the railway station

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

This thread is wayyy too uplifting for a miserable old bastard like me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

The very first time I saw my boyfriend I was in my friend's car, we were driving along and i was in a daze staring out the window and i saw 2 guys standing on the footpath chatting!! I had never seen him before in my life but when I looked at him I knew I would be with him it was a really wierd feeling!! I told my friends and they thought it was hilarious!!!!! (I was going out with someone else at the time!!)
    So I starting seeing him everywhere from then on, he even turned out to be the best friend of a girl who I worked with boyfriend!!! We were working in a bar and they came in all the time... I never really spoke except for hello!! I was really shy and they were all messers!!
    The relationship I was in ended and I stopped working in the bar! I totally forgot about him untill one night myself and a friend decided to head out!! It was really spontaneous it was a Sunday and we would never go out on a Sunday night but for whatever reason this particular night we did....!! I definitely didn't regret it because I met my boyfriend that night!!! :D It was really wierd, we knew eachother to say hello but that was it... but when we saw eachother that night our eyes totally met and we just walked towards eachother and kissed!! It was the nicest kiss I ever had!!!!:o:)
    He didn't have a phone at the time so I wrote my number down for him!!!He left me sweat for 2 days (my friends were so sick of listening to me in the 2 days I wouldn't be suprised if they hunted him down and made him ring me!!! hehe) but he did call, we went out and our first date was great!!! As was our 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc!!! I knew he was the one before I even knew who he was!!! lol!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pythia wrote: »
    We met one night and got talking, went to the cinema the next day (he suggested it, was happily surprised!).

He came over the next night, took the day off college the day after to spend more time with him, spent the weekend together and that was it really. The longest we've gone without seeing each other since is 2 days.
    Did you two meet at a Beers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tallaght01 wrote: »
    This thread is wayyy too uplifting for a miserable old bastard like me :p
    Join the club Hurrumph! :D

I dunno I would always be suspicious of instant loved up. I have often, but not always, found that those who fall in love quickly can be the type that falls out of love just as quickly. Men especially younger men are prone to that. If I had a daughter I would tell her to beware of any guy who tells you he loves you in the first month. Usually a bad plan. The more attractive he is the more of a problem it is for some reason. Possibly because he may have more options?

Peoples memories are seductively selective too. I've seen that one in particular with my female mates. The amount of times they've met the "one" would make the lad in the Matrix' head spin. Of course if it goes south he wasn't the one and the next one engenders the whole "I've never felt like this before" bit. Until such times when or if that goes south too. At the times I've dared to point this out to my women mates the grief I got.

I think love at first sight as a romantic notion is more a woman thing tbh. It's purely physical too. Your body is telling you through loads of subtle feelings and triggers that this guy is a good bet for you. If he also has the emotional thing going on then it hits even moreso. You can't "just know". You don't know the guy at all at that stage. No clue. So you make a decison based on the physical and patterns based on what you want, not on reality. If the reality is close enough then game ball. I've seen too many trying to jam a square peg into a round hole for years though.

You see tallaght01 while you are well trained, I am the master of miserable old bastardism tm. I do classes up to black belt second dan. Paypal accepted....:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah now here blokes don't have the market cornered on thinking that love at first sight is a steaming heap of bullshít.

It's lust and infatuation at first sight/ first meeting sure.

People get hung up on what the person is projecting and what ever way they translate that to fit what they want or what they think they want.

3 weeks in, 3 months in they are in love with who and what they think the other person is as they don't know them yet.

Ok fair enough and cool for those of ye who have had relationships which sparked, blossomed and grew to the stage that you knew the other person in all weathers and ye grew to love each other but there are far more many relationship where people don't do or behave exactly as it says on the tin or where people assumed things and didn't bother to read the tin properly in the first place or that the infatuation faded as they had to deal with the messiness of life and not the romantic ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

my current bf came to my debs and from the minute we got together i have neer been happier. we are madly i love and i dont like been apart from him, we always have a good laugh.. i do think he's the one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Met my b/f on a night out nearly 5 yrs ago and been together since! He moved in a couple of months later (more of a financial solution really, cos my other housemate was moving out and we were looking for someone else...so why not him :D) I remember both our parents being not very thrilled and telling us it was way too soon but they're eating their words now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

we met on a sunny day in the park....awhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Met my BF at a wedding also. My friend from collegue was getting married to his friend!

The brides uncle (who was quite a bit older than me) had taken a shine to me and was following me all over the place and asking me to go for dinner with him. Couldn't get rid of him, so the bride introduced me to this other guy in order to keep the other fella away. She told him that he was not to leave my side and explained the problem. After about an hour, she came back over to us and he completely bolted. Turned out he'd been dying to go to the toilet for ages but didn't want to leave me alone.

Anyway, he came back and hasn't left my side since. That was almost a year ago and we are still sickeningly in love!!

Advertisement