Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Diving Locations

• 28-04-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on where to go for a diving holiday at the Start of November this year. I'd like some where hot any part of the world were the diving is good.

I've gone to the Bahamas and the Red Sea and was thinking of Thailand but November doesn't look like such a good time to go.

Any idea's please let me know.

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭elcowboyspace

personally I dont think you can beat egypt for the red sea on value and quality of diving. A friend of mine was in thailand last year and did quite a bit of diving. Although it wasn't in november but he did say that dives sites are second to none over there. Cheap too!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Red Sea
    Truk Lagoon
    Maldives
    Scapa Flow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

personally I dont think you can beat egypt for the red sea on value and quality of diving. A friend of mine was in thailand last year and did quite a bit of diving. Although it wasn't in november but he did say that dives sites are second to none over there. Cheap too!:D

Yeah Thailand does look like a good place to go and I will do at some other stage. The Red Sea was great but I still think the Bahamas is better. Crystal clear waters and lots of sharks and wrecks close by. :D

bigfeller wrote: »
    Red Sea
    Truk Lagoon
    Maldives
    Scapa Flow

The Maldives looks interesting, didn't think of there. Of I go to google some info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

If your priority is HOT then I would suggest Sudan, where water temps should be about 34degsC that time of year.

Visibility would be 20-25m, 50m vertically.

Then of course you have the wreck of the Umbria, and Conshelf. Plus beautiful reefs.

With water that temperature you can forget about seeing a great many sharks, other than Grey Reef.

Other posters have mentioned Truk. Temps would be 30degsC in Oct/Nov. Visibility 15-20m.

Hard choice?

Seadeuce

• Advertisement

seadeuce wrote: »
    If your priority is HOT then I would suggest Sudan, where water temps should be about 34degsC that time of year.

I'm going to give the Red Sea a miss this time also I think Sudan maybe a bit to quiet for my liking, and there's a rumor going round that there's no alcohol there. :eek:

Thanks for the location.

Anyone know anything about the Cayman Islands. I found this little video clip and it does look good

http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=189

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

bigfeller wrote: »
    Truk Lagoon

Great place to go wreck diving, but some of the shore based stuff is a little "sporty". The liveaboards are mostly fine, but you do get a higher proportion of people doing silly things and getting bent...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

missed this thread sorry. was in cayman islands in january diving. grat diving. we stayed in cobalt coast on grand cayman, divetech is their operator, diveshop right on site. nice warm water, good viz, lots of turtles. not a lto of wrecks, it's all wall diving, but if you swim away from the wall and look back and see the wall going down to a few thousand feet it is impressing.

night life on the island is quite. we didn't go down to georgetown at night, but we were on a dinner +two beers kind of holiday.

island itself is nice, some parts are not so pretty but they are the more locl area. seven mile beach is very very nice.

been to hawaii too, i preferred hawaii for diving, plus Maui is a biiger, nicer and livelier island

mossym wrote: »
    missed this thread sorry. was in cayman islands in january diving. grat diving. we stayed in cobalt coast on grand cayman, divetech is their operator, diveshop right on site. nice warm water, good viz, lots of turtles. not a lto of wrecks, it's all wall diving, but if you swim away from the wall and look back and see the wall going down to a few thousand feet it is impressing.

night life on the island is quite. we didn't go down to georgetown at night, but we were on a dinner +two beers kind of holiday.

island itself is nice, some parts are not so pretty but they are the more locl area. seven mile beach is very very nice.

been to hawaii too, i preferred hawaii for diving, plus Maui is a biiger, nicer and livelier island

Cheers mossym!

This holiday will be mainly for diving so I'm not to worried about the night life for this one. I'll be going to hawaii next year so I don't want to go there now :pac:

Cayman Islands is looking good so far. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if only for pure diving, look at bonaire. best shore diving in the world. it's in my top 3 places to go. only for it's too quiet i would have gone there instead of caymans.(caymsna was my honeymoon, so i needed some fancy hotels and places to eat, and couldn't make it all about diving)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wildgazelle

Bonaire!!!shore diving capital of the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just back from the Philippines and that was pretty good diving. I'd go for 3 weeks rather than 2 as it takes time travelling from one place to another...rather slow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mcic

Larianne wrote: »
    Just back from the Philippines and that was pretty good diving. I'd go for 3 weeks rather than 2 as it takes time travelling from one place to another...rather slow..

Any place in particular in the Philippines you can recommend? I'm heading there soon and am a bit overwhelmed with all the different dive places. They all look pretty good, but I'm looking for cheap, relatively easy to get to, cheap, good diving, and cheap. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

been to thailand and its good for diving. went on some trips from phuket. if your not wanting to travel that far i'd suggest malta. it has some great spots. blue lagoon and blue grotto. when the ferry ships from malta to gozo(just a few miles away) are being replaced they have stripped one or two and sank them. i think there is diving organized for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

In November I wouldn't recommend Scapa. We did it last September and managed to get a force 10 one day on the way back.
    Red Sea or such like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

mcic wrote: »
    Any place in particular in the Philippines you can recommend? I'm heading there soon and am a bit overwhelmed with all the different dive places. They all look pretty good, but I'm looking for cheap, relatively easy to get to, cheap, good diving, and cheap. Any ideas?

I went to three different places when I was there. First I went to Moalboal which is on the island of Cebu. Then I went to Alona Beach which is on Panglao Island just south of Bohol. I finished off in Puerto Galera,Mindora.

How long do you have in the Philippines? Travelling to each place can take time as you need to get plane/boat/bus and then tricycle etc. And there's just so many places to dive, I think you're best just picking 2/3 places and go there and try not to fit it all in.

Out of where I went I found Puerto Galera the best of them. There is a lot of dive sites there and could spend at least a week diving the different ones. There is an interesting canyon dive and a few wrecks as well.

Sabang is the beach area which is nearest to the majority of the sites. That's where I stayed. There's not much of a beach there and it's full of sex tourists. Most people looked at me funny being a girl travelling on my own in a place like that, but they never bothered me. It's about 4 hours from Manila. You get a bus and then ferry directly to Puerto Galera. If there's people travelling with you that aren't into diving, White Beach is another place you could stay and still dive the sites but it's more geared for families and less old men with poor Filiopino girls.

Malapascua is also meant to be good to dive but never made it there! Next time...!

Advertisement