Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride-on Lawnmower Flooding

Options
  • 28-04-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,
    I bought a second hand ride-on John Deere (LT155) recently, twice now when I tried starting it, it starts spluttering and dies, after this when trying to start it, petrol starts coming out the exhaust with no kick, the spark plug is new, the last time I took the spark plug out and left it over night to dry itself out, the next day when i got it started, It blew about a 1/4 of a pint of petrol out the exhaust but it worked fine after that, now the other night the same thing has happened again, it's in the garage now again with the spark plug out, so hopefully it will start this evening, Does any one have any idea what could be wrong here, could it be getting too much petrol in the choke position or something?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Faulty carb.......does it have a brigg and stratton engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murphn1

I'm not 100% but I think it is, I'll have to check it later when I go home, is there much to checking out the carburettor or should I take her back to a dealer before I even start.
    Thanks,

if its under warranty, take it to the dealer - don't go at it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

On the off-chance that somebody might have a used ride on for sale I am looking for one.

It doesn't matter if it's running or in need of repair.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dubred1986

Faulty carb.......does it have a brigg and stratton engine?

HI, curious as to why you ask has it got B+T Engine. About to buy a Husqvarna( 15HP B+T engine in it) - is this a common prob with B+T Engines?

• Advertisement

no, B&S engine.......Briggs and Stratton - they are the one of the worlds best and well known makers of small engines for garden care equipment. They are good, reliable engines and if you do run into trouble with them - service and parts backup for B&S is second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dubred1986

thanks for that - turns out the model has a Kohler engine not a Briggs. Any info on Kohler?

Kohler is another well respected brand of small engine.
    Just as good as a B&S any day - you'll have no hassles there imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murphn1

Thanks for the help here, Got the carb cleared out, the guy was saying that there is some sort of a float shutoff in it that can some times stick with dirt or something, causing the carb to flood up, he has also put a shut off valve on the fuel line, so now when I turn it off, I just switch off the fuel as well just to make sure it does not flood anymore, not sure if the shutoff will help or not though, seeing that this is not gravity feed, with a fuel pump on the side of the engine, Anyway it's working fine now so I'll use the shut off valve anyway just in case.

Thanks alot.

no worries........that guy sounds like he knows his apples.
    Fair play..........happy mowing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement