Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tackle for trout - midlands

Options
  • 28-04-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, Im in Laois and im wondering does anyone know where the nearest place is that i can go to buy live bait for trout fishing. Im looking for maggots not worms?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Maggots for trout? Planning to groundbait?
    Worms are far more effective (for trout), and are more socially acceptable among game anglers.
    But if it's maggots you want try these:
    finlays tackle shop monsteraven
    Laois Angling Center Clonoghil House, Coolrain, Portlaois

Forgot The Tackle Shop, Mountrath, Co.Laois
    Also there used to be one in Stradbally. John Harrison ran it, don't know where exactly, but the locals would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yes tbh you should use worms as coolwings said, preferably on a pennel rig and a single worm, works great on a few waters I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Do you have a compost or anyone you know have one? Dig there and you will get 100's of large juicy worms and the trout love em,way better than maggots,I find that the trout dont see/sense the maggots and ground baiting is frowned upon or banned by many of the angling clubs.If you gang hook the worm,it presents the worm more naturaly,then a worm ball,tie two hooks in tandem and hook the work at either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

my asking is i was digging for worms on saturday and i got myself a good few and found a big yellow grub in one piece of clay and took it on. fished all day on worms and not as much as got a nibble. I put the grub on the hook and cast in and within 5 minutes caught myself a master trout.

I am no expert (as you can already see) but i presumed this was a maggot. One innch in lenght and about a quater inch thick. it was yellow and looked like an australian withcity grub. Is this in fact a maggott or am i barking up the wrong tree?

ps- whats groundbaiting? - excuse my ignorance

• Advertisement

Sounds like you found yourself either a dock grub (shorter fat juicy) or a leather jucket (longer skinny greyer) they live in grass and blackbirds are masters at finding leather jackets which hatch into daddy longlegs later in the year.
    The dock grub looks very like a extra large caddis grub which is a main trout food on the stream bed.

Maggots are baby/larvae of bluebottles. Smaller say 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Groundbaiting is throwing or catapulting handfuls of free maggots in to get the fish attracted and feeding in front of you. Common practise for coarse fish like roach where ALL the catch is returned.

But trout will swallow those small maggots on the spot, leading to deep hooking of small trout which then die from mishandling during a lengthy unhoking process.
    That's an unnecessary waste of younger fish. That's why the game anglers usually ban groundbaiting on game waters. If it's not specifically banned by club rules you can count on getting a bad reputation if you do it (while trout fishing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

coolwings wrote: »
    Sounds like you found yourself either a dock grub (shorter fat juicy) or a leather jucket (longer skinny greyer) they live in grass and blackbirds are masters at finding leather jackets which hatch into daddy longlegs later in the year.
    The dock grub looks very like a extra large caddis grub which is a main trout food on the stream bed.

Maggots are baby/larvae of bluebottles. Smaller say 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Groundbaiting is throwing or catapulting handfuls of free maggots in to get the fish attracted and feeding in front of you. Common practise for coarse fish like roach where ALL the catch is returned.

But trout will swallow those small maggots on the spot, leading to deep hooking of small trout which then die from mishandling during a lengthy unhoking process.
    That's an unnecessary waste of younger fish. That's why the game anglers usually ban groundbaiting on game waters. If it's not specifically banned by club rules you can count on getting a bad reputation if you do it (while trout fishing).

Thanks coolwing it was a dock grub that i found. very effective i thought and thats exactly what im looking for. Thanks aswell for telling me what groundbaiting is. i definitly wont be doing that. Its the grubs im after so for fishing. The big yellow juicy fellows. Are the possible to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Maggots are frowned upon by game anglers due to the fact that the trout find them hard to digest and the maggots can burroe into the flesh of the fish.
    Most club waters have banned maggots on this basis.

Advertisement