Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic art auction

Options
  • 28-04-2008 12:45pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't think this has been mentioned here before, so what the hell.

Thomas Denton is organising a charity fundraiser comic art auction to take place on eBay this friday, to raise money for the Candlelighters.

There's a fairly impressive roster of artists contributing, but I thought it was particularly impressive to note that Ireland's best-coiffed webcomic artist DeclanAdam Murray is among them. So do your bit to support cancer research and Irish webcomic hairdo greatness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Declans much better than Adam.
    I hope this goes well for tommy. He's put a lot of effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

seems Time Warner are trying to out do Disney in "we will sue you over anything" game - the comic art auction has been stopped by Warner Bros for the use of copyrighted characters - bit much when you have a look at the amount of fan art/commissions being sold via ebay and deviantart every day thou having said that I saw alot of press pop up online for the auction and kinda assumed the guy running it had checked with DC in some way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, it's a shame to see that the auction appears to be scuppered, although it looks like a few people are working to get as much publicity on the situation as possible, so there might be a reprieve yet.

It's one of those very odd situations where the reality vs the legal positions almost have nothing to do with one another - legally speaking, what is the status of artists who sell sketches or commissions of company-owned characters? Are there channels through which charities can request exemptions? Does it make a difference whether the artist has at any point been an "official" artist on one of that character's titles? And how does it apply to original artwork printed by a publisher but returned to the artist? Are they allowed to sell the original? Are they allowed to sell copies of the original?

(I don't expect answers to those questions any time soon, but it would be nice to see them addressed seriously outside the context of someone getting sued for selling a painting/sketch/picture. If anything it's a part of a bigger looming legal nightmare regarding the theory and practicality of ownership of image rights, along the lines of whether you're allowed to take a photo of someone in a public place without their explicit consent and so on...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a shame to see that the auction appears to be scuppered, although it looks like a few people are working to get as much publicity on the situation as possible, so there might be a reprieve yet.

It's one of those very odd situations where the reality vs the legal positions almost have nothing to do with one another - legally speaking, what is the status of artists who sell sketches or commissions of company-owned characters? Are there channels through which charities can request exemptions? Does it make a difference whether the artist has at any point been an "official" artist on one of that character's titles? And how does it apply to original artwork printed by a publisher but returned to the artist? Are they allowed to sell the original? Are they allowed to sell copies of the original?

(I don't expect answers to those questions any time soon, but it would be nice to see them addressed seriously outside the context of someone getting sued for selling a painting/sketch/picture. If anything it's a part of a bigger looming legal nightmare regarding the theory and practicality of ownership of image rights, along the lines of whether you're allowed to take a photo of someone in a public place without their explicit consent and so on...)

its a big grey area with regards to fan art - know lots of artists who make a living just doing fan art at various anime cons in the states.

Its not 100% clear if they stopped the auction do to the use of the characters being used in the art work or because of the use of superman in the promotion and logo for the auction.

Advertisement