Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tainted Petrol - Consumer Rights

Options
  • 28-04-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Anyone out there know how to get petrol quality tested?

I suspect that I may have purchased a tank of bad petrol.
    Tank was on empty light for around 10 miles and filled it to the brim.
    After 20 mins of motorway driving the car started to shudder/misfire/lose power and exhaust emission warning light was flashing.

There have never been any previous problems with the car.

Since it's now undriveable it has to be towed to a garage to get checked out.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has ever experienced anything like this and can advise how to get petrol checked or what the consumer rights are in this situation.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I suspect that I may have purchased a tank of bad petrol.
    Tank was on empty light for around 10 miles and filled it to the brim.
    After 20 mins of motorway driving the car started to shudder/misfire/lose power and exhaust emission warning light was flashing.

There have never been any previous problems with the car.

Since it's now undriveable it has to be towed to a garage to get checked out.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has ever experienced anything like this and can advise how to get petrol checked or what the consumer rights are in this situation.

Thanks.

Sounds like a coil could have gone. Can happen any time.

If the tank was nearly empty then sucking the muck that's in the bottom of the tank through the fuel system could have caused the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 popinfresh101

there are strips you can get that you put it in the petrol and it changes colouer if the petrol is bad you will need to be able to get the strip to the boutom of the thank as the good petrol will flot on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gloriahoneybird

Thanks for the replies.
    I aggree it could be just coincidence and maybe something else has broken.

Although the fuel light was on I had only driven about 10 miles before filling the tank so I doubt it was sucking the 'muck' if any at the bottom of the tank.

Does any one know where you can get the strips to test the petrol?
    Is it litmus paper (to test acidity/akaline)?
    Do garages normally do this test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

If its "dodgy fuel" you'll need to get it tested by a lab.
    You have good rights under the 1980 sale of consumer good act - see consumerconnect.ie for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

The only place in Ireland that routinely tests petrol and diesel is cutoms and excise within the State laboratory. Pretty sure that they do not offer a public service though. You could chance calling any of the Public Analyst labs who may be able to arrange this. Dublin is Patrick Dunnes Hospital or Galway on the Hospital grounds.

Grit will fall to the bottom of the tank and you will not find it in a sample. Water content is a possibility but can you prove that it was not from another fill. Unfortunatly you just have to take the hit.

Generally petrol is difficult to mess with, but diesel on the border area is a major problem. I do some work for the State labs and they have told me that a large portion of the diesel on the border areas is washed diesel. Not every fill may be poor but a portion of the junk still remains in the holding tanks if they ever got a bad batch. High acid content is the major issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gloriahoneybird

Thanks for all the advice!
    Good news the problem with my car was due to an ignition coil. Have been driving for over ten years and never experienced this problem with any car!

It was completely unrelated to the petrol, just a coincidence.

Advertisement