Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Boardeaux 6-1 IBM Tues 29th Apr - 21.00pm @ Wesley

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

i dont know how to get to this poxy place...easy enough from m50?

Yeh instead of taking a left turn at that roundabout off the exit for 3 rock you just go straight through it. Wesley is on the right then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wesley College - From M50

Take the M50 southbound to the Sandyford/Dundrum exit.
    Proceed through the round about at the base of the exit towards Dundrum.
    Wesley is on the right hand side at the first round about you meet.

Wesley College - From Town

Head for Dundrum village.
    Take the Dundrumm By-Pass and take a right onto the Wickham By-Pass towards the M50.
    Wesley is on your left hand side at the next round about.

These **** turnouts are gonna cost us any challenge for the league. How come Keith can't play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

lift from town martin??

6-1

They had 9 men.

• Advertisement

Right, we won handily against 6 men but we were awful at times. Going forward we can have no complaints. Sometimes we over complicated, but in general we were fine there. Midfield let it slip in the 2nd half. They went gung ho and we didn't compensate. We didn't push up enough in the 2nd half at the back as well. Partly my fault, had a bit of an off night with the talking tbh. We went to **** with all the changes as well. I know we were 11 v 9 but goal difference may matter and rotating players constantly meant we lost shape and hence lost a goal.

But anyway it was a difficult game to play in. We were always gonna win so we can't take too many positives or negatives from it. And I scored my first Boards goal. Yipee :D

It was 9 men dude.:)

Anyway.

We looked good going forward, and I have to say, the last time we played against a depleted team we fúcked it up, so that was nice.

Yeah, it was a game we were never really going to lose, having said that, they had a couple fo good players, and with the squad so threadbare yet again, they might have troubled us with a full team. We got lucky I suppose.

Another thing, it's these kind of games that I'm going to let the lads who don't start every week get some game time, see if they can force their way into a starting role. That's the only way I can see of doing this, with the disastrous "training" at weekends. So yeah, the changes meant a few mistakes happen, but rather them in a game like this, than a tight top of the table game.

Templeogue drew with The Full Irish tonight, just like we did in our first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is that little shitebag French lad still playin for them Des?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is that little shitebag French lad still playin for them Des?

Did we have them in our first season? According to this we didn't

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Boardeaux

We did play them in the winter league just gone though:confused:

I do remember the french lad though:D

DesF wrote: »
    Did we have them in our first season? According to this we didn't

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Boardeaux

We did play them in the winter league just gone though:confused:

I do remember the french lad though:D

Ah right. Coulda sworn it was them. And they had 9 men for that game too.

Anyway, good win tonight. Well done!

• Advertisement

Just reading that Wiki page is bringing back some memories:)

From the picture, seven of the lads in it are still involved, plus a couple more not in the pic.

I want you back man, Jules is still keeping the armband warm for you:D

Awww shucks :o

I really don't know when I'll be back at this stage but I really do want to get involved again whenever it is. Seems like a solid bunch of lads now.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Awww shucks :o

I really don't know when I'll be back at this stage but I really do want to get involved again whenever it is. Seems like a solid bunch of lads now.
    Yeah, we have a good decent core of really talented players now, and we started asking for proper committment for the start of the Winter season 07/08, which, to be fair, is still there.

Still have the large squad though, which is fine given we'll be hitting June/July/Aug pretty soon and lads will be on holidays and whatever.

I'm delighted with how it's gone tbh, never thought I'd see it go this far after them nights in the Phoenix Park not knowing anyone's names.

I love it.

Actually that reminds me Des. I'll miss only two games from holidays. One in last week of May and one in July. Also we have a game the night before one of my exams in two weeks. Might have to miss that. Depends on where I'm at at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Alright Neil - how's things going over there, you playing any ball? Always room for a founder member so give us a heads-up if you're coming back (I'll get a vice-armband made up for ya :p), we've come a long way and we're not far off being a very good team now and a couple of solid players like yourself is all we need.

Yeh I think we played some good football tonight though agree we did overcomplicate it at times. 6-1 against 9 is no great result but we played some lovely football and I felt the dip was more down to widespread rotation than a bad l'et's take the piss' attitude that we had last time scored 6 on that pitch. Attitude was very good from start to finish right across the board - everyone was hungry for more and lads made the right decision for the team in almost every case so you've gotta be pleased with that.

Yeh our attackers could've taken an extra touch at times cos we had the space tonight, but our players like to play that flowing football and that's the right approach when you're against 11 so that's no biggy cos it'll be the right approach for the next game. Every player got a very decent runout tonight so you can't argue with rotating things tonight cos that was the right thing to do so it's a good thing that everyone had run. They did go gung ho but to be honest the right answer to that was to push up and say let em cos we were having more than enough possession to score double digits if we were a little more clinical.

Great showing on the wing from Lepo showing what he can offer more of as an attacking full back, and good to see some great linkup play by Eddie rewarded with a couple of well-taken goals. Great game at centre-half by Dan too so all in all a good night at the office and gets some decent momentum going.

DesF wrote: »
    I'm delighted with how it's gone tbh, never thought I'd see it go this far after them nights in the Phoenix Park not knowing anyone's names.

I love it.

Ah those were the days eh?!

Fair play to yourself for keeping on top of everything and the lads who are still around from then. It's a great achievement to get a team going from absolutely nothing. Make sure it keeps going though!
    Alright Neil - how's things going over there, you playing any ball? Always room for a founder member so give us a heads-up if you're coming back (I'll get a vice-armband made up for ya :p), we've come a long way and we're not far off being a very good team now and a couple of solid players like yourself is all we need.

Ha ha well I hope you still have that Nike one. I stroked that from work fair and square! :pac:

Yeah playing in the state amateur league over here. Pretty good standard. Some teams paying their players (not us though :mad:). Won the cup last year which was great. Missed the last five weeks through injury so dying to get back.

I see you're still chipping in with the odd spectacular goal every so often. Good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Nice win lads. Scorers?

LoBo wrote: »
    Nice win lads. Scorers?
    Martin, Gav, Lepo 2, Eddie 2

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Didn't think the post-rotation defending was quite as bad as it's being made sound lads. We went 3 at the back, they were 4 back 4 up towards the end. Banking on quick kickouts from their keeper. As i recall their goal was the only real shot in anger they had in after the changes in the second half (although i may be wrong) and it was a very well taken goal... by their best player. He shot as the keeper was unsighted by the defender and the ball went in right at the bottom of the near post. It was more of an opportunistic strike than a give-away goal.

On reflection Cathal, you are right.

I wasn't saying the defensive changes were to blame for anything more than a bit of uncertainty further up the field.

I didn't communicate properly with the midfield.

And yeah, I went 3-4-3 to try to get more goals, no harm in it, and no harm in conceding one under the circumstances.

• Advertisement

I just think that the defence is the most fragile part of the team. And the less messing about with it the better. Obviously last night was the perfect time to give players a run. And I'm not criticising that. But I really think we'll win or lose the league on our defending. Everywhere else we're sorted. But at the back i'm not so sure. Something for all of us who play back there to work on

Challenging headers at set pieces would be a good start tbh.

We lost a goal last week from it, and again this week from corners and frees there was feck all challenging in the box.

It baffles me.

Yeh that's one of our big problems. We just need to go man for man and do everything you can to make sure your guy cant head the ball

Agree with Murtagh that both teams were setup completely different by that stage and it had a bearing cos they were trying to bypass midfield and lump it up to 4 on 3. Our wingers were staying up by then so we had almost 5 attackers.

And by that stage in midfield we were rightly more focused on getting free in space to take a pass then to worry what they were doing. 9 on 11 - if he gets it he's under pressure, if we get it he's under bigger pressure. After 3 or 4 nil I did let a few 50-50s go that if there was anything depending on it I'd have been straight through him and worry about if the ref thinks I got the ball first after - we had a crazy amount of possession so that shouldn't have been needed to make a difference.

The point on getting a consistent back four lineup is a good one, but in 4 seasons I don't think we've ever started the same 11 2 weeks in a row (defo not 3), and that ain't cos Des is paying homage to Rafa. So the reality is our defence, like everywhere, will be subject to change on availability so if we don't take these chances to get lads match-fit, when they are inevitably called upon they'll be rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads we won, by 5 goals, end of story. too much talk about it, however, spose its good to talk about a win and not be happy. shows ambition, but lets not overdo it on the negativity :o:o:o .

you learn far more from a defeat than a win however and its them games that we lose that our weakness become obvious. our defence is not settled yet, i have missed 3 games, martin has missed 2 games, simon has missed, so has geoff, keith etc etc etc, see where i am going. lets get a settled back 4 and take it from there. the defence is always the first to be unsettled when we are stuck. lads, 7 points from 4 games, could be better, should and would be 9 but for a dodgy peno, so lets make sure we get say 7 from our next 3 games or better and we should enter the top 3.

no lets move on to tuesday and as i keep saying, do the real talking on the field:p

1 game Ed.

lads we won, by 5 goals, end of story. too much talk about it, however, spose its good to talk about a win and not be happy. shows ambition, but lets not overdo it on the negativity :o:o:o .

you learn far more from a defeat than a win however and its them games that we lose that our weakness become obvious.

no lets move on to tuesday and as i keep saying, do the real talking on the field:p

Ed, that's your opinion - others differ to it. If you don't want to discuss it that's perfectly fine but if others want to discuss they are entitled to do so.

I think your view is quite short-sighted but can see where you're coming from. Yes, you can learn more from a defeat, but that doesn't mean you can't still learn from a win - that's what we're trying to do here. There's been plenty of talk of positive things from this week's game here, but we've identified things to work on - as we don't have training sessions, if a lad reads it on here and it sinks in for next week, at least that's something. Last season we won a game 6-0 but our attitude was terrible. I got the same short-sighted response to trying to highlight areas for improvement after that game. We did not win the league last season. To win this league with our squad we will need to extract every last ounce of potential and we can only do that by being aware of our weaknesses in winning and defeat and addressing those.

Discussion on here has highlighted a few things for the squad to think about - challenging more competitively for headers (I would say on our corners too); defence pushing up and focusing on attack against weaker teams; need for a consistent back 4 where possible; improving retention at throw-ins; taking a touch before making a pass in attack rather than trying the killer ball too early; improving vision to look for cutbacks instead of focusing on wide attacks all the time; need for Des to better communicate ongoing changes; need for better talk on the pitch (improving). There's a good few items there but all are incremental rather than fundamental changes and we're more than capable of addressing them and winning this league. These are things a team would normally address in training sessions - as we don't have that option, this forum is as close as we get, and though it doesn't reach the full squad it helps crystallize what needs to be talked about before the next match when all the squad are there, and for that reason I think it's productive discussion.

Oh, before Murtagh sees Lepo's thread and comes back it with links to Bobby from king of the hill and Tintin just thought I'd beat him to it and call out the comparison - we're 3 good look lads in fairness :D

Firstly, the lookalikes thread. Come on Des and Ed. How is that going to offend anyone?? Tut tut I say. And Ed trying the "talk about it on the pitch" line again. Come on Ed, do you think your mentor Fergie uses that in his team talks?? :p This is the only place we can discuss what goes on. I'm a huge believer in dissecting the teams performance. It does no harm and the discussion that follows can be enlightening. If we trained twice a week there'd be no need for these discussions. But seeing as we don't it's useful enough. Though of course, not everyone reads the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

to be honest martin,me, you and jules talking on ere is going to make no difference what so ever. putting post on here is not going to stop us conceding goals. its not going to put the ball in the net either. we all know what needs to be done. its up to us to make these clear when the team is picked and we are talking before the game.speaking of fergie, im pretty sure he does use it, you think he posts his team talks on the internet? dont think so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement