Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping

Options
  • 28-04-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good spots to camp (in a tent) in Wicklow? I want to be able to light a campfire so from what I see that rules out Wicklow national park and most official campsites. I'm taking my three young kids with me and would like to be able to do some fishing and light hiking. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I seem to remember on thread on wild camping in this forum sometime last year. Try a search and see what pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'd love to know about this too.

Does anyone know what the situation is with farmers (in general)? Do they hate campers? Is it possible to find ones who allow it / pay something in return for permission? Has anyone got experience of this?

At the moment it seems coillte land is the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i too am interested in this.
    friend wants to go up to wicklow and camp like we used to.
    when we were teenagers we went to a forest beside a river,perfect,but probably illegal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

these guys seem to allow it in rathdrum.

Hidden Valley Caravan and Camping Park
    Rathdrum
    County Wicklow
    Tel: 0404 46080; 0404 41647

also u can fish but you'll have to get a permit locally for trout etc. salmon and sea trout not allowed this season

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/caravan-parks/camping.php?id=20

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thesocial

Hi All, this is exactly what I am looking for. My boyfriend has never been camping but he loves mountain, forest, lake areas so I am looking for somewhere to camp one night only near a stream, lake or river - even better if we could swim there! no problem with code of ethics I used to be a scout leader so know how to make a place look as if I wasn't there ;) Thinking of Wicklow area and remember in the car driving down from the sally gap looking down on the stream seeing a few tents there in the flat field beside but not sure if they were offically allowed there. Would consider Waterford or Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

there's a spot down from knockree hostel,enniskerry, straight in front and down the valley. it'll bring you to a river. you can camp there, its on the wicklow. we camped there a few times over the years. last time was about 5 yrs ago though. we never had any bother. river is clean, has some fish in it,plenty of wilderness around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Plenty of people camp in front of the river near Knockree so it shouldn't be a problem from an access point of view. But it may not be as secluded as you want it to be.

A word of warning though, keep an eye out not to camp too close to any skangery looking types. I've heard of people getting hassle from drunk camping skangers there before. They tend to leave their rubbish behind them as well. On the other hand, most people I know who've camped there never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thesocial

thanks guys, this is where I am heading this weekend so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

:mad:
    whitser wrote: »
    there's a spot down from knockree hostel,enniskerry, straight in front and down the valley. it'll bring you to a river. you can camp there, its on the wicklow. we camped there a few times over the years. last time was about 5 yrs ago though. we never had any bother. river is clean, has some fish in it,plenty of wilderness around.

The place you are talking about is privately owned and since Easter 2011 all camping has been stopped. This is unfortunately because of the amount of knackers now coming out there and thrashing the place.

it is patrolled nightly and even if you make down there you will be moved on by either the security team or by the guards. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Magic Star wrote: »
    :mad:

The place you are talking about is privately owned and since Easter 2011 all camping has been stopped. This is unfortunately because of the amount of knackers now coming out there and thrashing the place.

it is patrolled nightly and even if you make down there you will be moved on by either the security team or by the guards. :mad:

You wouldn't happen to be the said land owner/associate by any chance, giving the pulling up of old posts and only registering to get the info out? If not thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement

FrostyJack wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to be the said land owner/associate by any chance, giving the pulling up of old posts and only registering to get the info out? If not thanks for the heads up.

Hi FrostJack,

Boy do I wish I owned a spot like that - no I am not the landowner but I do take heed of the signs that are posted up now and when on approach there last summer I was stopped by two security guards who explained that there is no camping in the valley anymore because of all the anti-social behaviour.

In this i support the landowner and as a result of this in the last year the valley all along the Glencree river is clean and tidy making it more beautiful to pass through.

Just letting all other responsible campers know . . . .

Hi Patrick,

We got the same treatment last year when me and my mates decided to camp beside the river. We were approached by four people and a pack of dogs and told to get off their land - it was private. They put out our fires with our beer!!! THEY THEN STOOD OVER US AND MADE US PACK UP AND LEAVE - There were two jeeps sitting behind them too so it seemed like they had some back up.
    Worst nights camping ever - wouldn't bother with this spot again.
    Hi FrostJack,

Boy do I wish I owned a spot like that - no I am not the landowner but I do take heed of the signs that are posted up now and when on approach there last summer I was stopped by two security guards who explained that there is no camping in the valley anymore because of all the anti-social behaviour.

Hmmm having read all your posts your story has changed from 2 guards stopping you when you were approaching to jeep loads of Blackwater security with dogs up rooting you in the middle of the night? I believe my hunch was right. You should have just left it at one post :D And no I am not Sherlock Holmes :p

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Hmmm having read all your posts your story has changed from 2 guards stopping you when you were approaching to jeep loads of Blackwater security with dogs up rooting you in the middle of the night? I believe my hunch was right. You should have just left it at one post :D And no I am not Sherlock Holmes :p

Moved once in May while actually camping - Tried again in July - stopped on approach - and now this coming season - have gotten permission from someone else nearby for St Patrick's weekend!!! Roll on Summer:rolleyes:

Moved once in May while actually camping - Tried again in July - stopped on approach - and now this coming season - have gotten permission from someone else nearby for St Patrick's weekend!!! Roll on Summer:rolleyes:

Meth%20lab.jpg?1311625897

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Is that you "hostmanx" :confused::p

(Apologies if not)

Advertisement