Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a recording studio in back garden

• 28-04-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I have a 4 bed semi detached house in Beaumont and my back garden is 15 metres long by 10 wide. I want to build a recording studio out the back with possibly a living space also i.e. bedroom with en suite and living room. There is a house on each side and also at the end of the garden, so soundproofing would be important. I'm not sure if all this is possible so I'm looking for general opinions on if it's feasible, planning, soundproofing, etc. Also I'm wondering if there's any architect/technician that would do plans for a reasonable price.

So some questions:

- Is it possible to get enough soundproofing to not disturb neigbours?
    - What's the best material for soundproofing - blocks, timber frame with rockwool, or other?
    - I want minimal heating - how does passive heating work?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

<SNIP> offer a rom outside product that a pal of mine uses outside for a recording studio. Maybe they can help -
    i think their site i<SNIP>

Read the charter before posting stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

<SNIP>offer a rom outside product that a pal of mine uses outside for a recording studio. Maybe they can help -
    i think their site is <SNIP>

Nice one thanks. I'd be very interested to hear more about your mate's studio ie how well it works, materials he used, if he has soundproofing issues, etc. Does he have neighbours close by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blocks will be better for sounding proofing than timber frame,
    and this will need planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A <SNIP> will not need planning and they can soundproof.

Mod edit: Defiantly reposting a company name that has already been deleted is taking the piss. Have a week off. That should give you more than enough time to read the charter.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    . Also I'm wondering if there's any architect/technician that would do plans for a reasonable price.

'doing the plans' would be the easy part.... being granted planning permission will be the hard part.....

will this recording studio be a commercial venture?? if so then it will be incrediable difficult....

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    'doing the plans' would be the easy part.... being granted planning permission will be the hard part.....

will this recording studio be a commercial venture?? if so then it will be incrediable difficult....

No it's not a commercial venture, will just be used as a hobby for myself and a couple of mates.

A <SNIP> will not need planning and they can soundproof.

Mod edit: Defiantly reposting a company name that has already been deleted is taking the piss. Have a week off. That should give you more than enough time to read the charter.

Muffler has already dealt with the flaunting of the rules.

But also your information is wrong. The job described in the OP will require planning. No matter who does he sound-proofing

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MollynOlly

sydthebeat wrote: »

I did planning for a friend recently doing the same.
    Planning should be fine, if you stick to the required square meterage.
    Also, if you describe the usage of the space on planning application as 'ancillary to the use of the house' and say that it is a space for gym/office to the rear, you should be fine. Someone from council came out, and advised this to my friend. and this is in the planning reg guidelines.

The construction used is: double blockwork, then cavity, then double blockwork externally and internally.
    I think my friend is using 2 sliding doors on entrance too and on the internal room for recording. This was for commercial use.

Hope thats helpful.

MollynOlly wrote: »
    The construction used is: double blockwork, then cavity, then double blockwork externally and internally.
    I think my friend is using 2 sliding doors on entrance too and on the internal room for recording. This was for commercial use.

Hope thats helpful.

Nice one thanks. I was thinking of timber frame with a double cavity and rockwool or some sort of sound insulation in between...you think this would be feasible? Would the double blockwork need any filling in the cavity?

Nice one thanks. I was thinking of timber frame with a double cavity and rockwool or some sort of sound insulation in between...you think this would be feasible? Would the double blockwork need any filling in the cavity?

Probably just insulation..
    Whichever way you plaster it on inner walls, you could use something for acoustics on the inner leaf? I'm not sure what but just an idea.
    i would trawl the net for suppliers to studios ..some in town that sell equipment and fit out studios, you could pick their brains on how to do it..

• Advertisement

Also, if you describe the usage of the space on planning application as 'ancillary to the use of the house' and say that it is a space for gym/office to the rear, you should be fine. Someone from council came out, and advised this to my friend. and this is in the planning reg guidelines.

Hope thats helpful.
    Are I reading that correct in that you (or your friend) lied on the planning application. Say it is ancillary to the use of the house does not make planning easy, it possibably makes it void (if used commercially)

The previous example is better, timber frame and rockwool isn't great for low frequency sound. It will stop airbourne sound, but most sound travels through the structure. Have a high mass structure is the simpliest and most effective way to sound proof. Blockwork walls are the best. Go for a 440 wide cavity wall and it should be ok, maybe some sort of acoustic lining to improve the sound qauility inside the studio.

Mellor wrote: »
    Are I reading that correct in that you (or your friend) lied on the planning application. Say it is ancillary to the use of the house does not make planning easy, it possibably makes it void (if used commercially)

The planning was for retention, when I came on board, and a rep from council came on site and gave this advice.(I don't recall if my friend told rep that is was a recording studio or a shed at the time.Don't want to imply anything of council,Mellor)
    How does it make it void? ..interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I did planning for a friend recently doing the same.

Hope thats helpful.

there's the lie

permission is not granted for structures alone - the USE of a structure is also subject to permission

your friend above does not have permission for the commercial use . and it would only take a call from a displeased person to alert planning enforcement to take another look and prohibit that use .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    You are a wealth of information. Good post.

Nice one...something for the bedside table :)

there's the lie

permission is not granted for structures alone - the USE of a structure is also subject to permission

your friend above does not have permission for the commercial use . and it would only take a call from a displeased person to alert planning enforcement to take another look and prohibit that use .

there's not much chance of that, its on alot of land, not overlooked by neighbours. Thats the chance my friend was willing to take.

there's not much chance of that, its on alot of land, not overlooked by neighbours. Thats the chance my friend was willing to take.

op take note !

op take note !

Well listen, that's been my experience, the advice was given by the council to carry it out that way...a friend asked me to do it and i obliged, and it sailed through planning. Now whatever legalities you must follow about posting here in order for everything to be legit is fine, but don't suggest that I am lying. I have no motive to sway another person or give out wrong info and Ciaran has contacted me privately as he found my post helpful.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well listen, that's been my experience, the advice was given by the council to carry it out that way...a friend asked me to do it and i obliged, and it sailed through planning. Now whatever legalities you must follow about posting here in order for everything to be legit is fine, but don't suggest that I am lying. I have no motive to sway another person or give out wrong info and Ciaran has contacted me privately as he found my post helpful.

Theres no suggestion that YOU were lying, but the point SB was making is that if an 'untruth' is told as part of a plnning application then, theoretically, it can negate and invalidate the planning permission. The fact that your client is using the building for a use which does not have permission really means that the initial application was meaningless. the advice you got from the council official was bad, erroneous and unprofessional to the extreme.

• Advertisement

No body said you lied,
    You quoted my post and asked how would in invalidate it, SB responded.

As for the advice from the council being bad. You did say that they might of not been aware of the intended use. so their advice might not have been relating to the job at all, but to a gym or similar.

Advertisement