Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What 1 thing would you change to improve overall motoring in Ireland?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Only 1 thing.

I'd add another motor racing circuit closer to Dublin, Mondello is in the middle of no-where and the circuit isn't the best, far to short and narrow, you can lap it in under a minute is a really good car... not much fun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

... and that would "improve overall motoring in Ireland" how exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

well thats just one thing i would like to see in ireland as someone who likes to drive.

I know I said only 1 thing but a close #2 would be better signage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

grahambo wrote: »
    Only 1 thing.

I'd add another motor racing circuit closer to Dublin, Mondello is in the middle of no-where .

Ah boards.ie
    Where everywhere outside Dublin is the “middle of nowhere” :rolleyes:

It's easily accessable to most of the country so that's more important tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

More speed cameras. Like have them everywhere.

Only joking. Driver education as it might actually improve overall road safety.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Proper road markings with well maintained line painting and cats eyes on all roads would be a good start.

• Advertisement

thats just what i would want...

I'm asking you what you would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

more/better public transport, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Road users to understand the importance of using indicators properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Better public transport.

Decent and cheap trains and trams.

Would cut down on people drink driving and people NEEDING a car to get to work. Might get rid of some of the car parkyness of the M50 too.

I live in Holland at the moment, I wouldn't dream of driving from one side of the city to the other, but long distances a car is miles better and fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Hood mounted gatling guns would solve a lot of my problems.

• Advertisement

+1

they would solve alot of probs for alot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Nice one, only one problem, very hard to drive to work/home/holiday when your in prison:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Complusory Drivers Ed in every school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Change the teching and testing system so that people will have spent a bit of time behind the wheel before they're inflicted on the driving public, with it also allowing for advanced learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1 thing: Improve the roads. So many of our so-called national routes are utter death traps. See the recent thread on this subject for evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

what would i do ?? knock it all down and start fresh , complain all you like but it would be good in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Get a proper automated road tax database/fine system like in the UK and give the guards more of those number plate reading yokes so they can do something worthwhile instead of doing those goddamn checkpoints.

Also, get the heavy traffic out of the towns. I know they're building that tunnel in Limerick for example, but by the time it's finished (2010?) it'll probably be too little too late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ringfence all of the motoring related taxes and duties (including all the stealth ones) back into providing and maintaining infrastructure - wouldn't be long before we would have the best road system in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Complusory Drivers Ed in every school.

^^ that

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd add another motor racing circuit closer to Dublin, Mondello is in the middle of no-where
    From Mondello website: The circuit is situated in Co. Kildare just 40km from Ireland's Capital City, Dublin.
    Damn jack want it all :D

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    From Mondello website: The circuit is situated in Co. Kildare just 40km from Ireland's Capital City, Dublin.
    Damn jack want it all :D

It ain't 40km from the northside of the city

PLUS the heavy traffic, someone coming from the west would get there quicker than I would.

and in any case, the distance is really the problem. I would drive to Galway if it was a really good circuit.

My problem is there is nowhere you can safely put the foot down in Ireland and hence a lot of people are doing it on public roads (myself NOT included).

Mondello is to small.

And for a country of people who love their cars its surprising we don't have more in the way of automotive entertainment.

Edit:

its just under 60Km to Mondello not 40km with a journey time of approx 50 min

add on to that m50 delays and dublin traffic in general and mondello is at least 2hrs 20 min away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=17871172207873949871,53.382211,-6.176190&saddr=Station+Rd+%4053.382211,+-6.176190&daddr=53.258333,-6.744919&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=14&sll=53.255201,-6.737967&sspn=0.025982,0.053129&ie=UTF8&ll=53.382714,-6.355247&spn=0.103619,0.212517&t=h&z=12

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

visible policing at night on country roads would go a long way to cutting a lot of road deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Up all the speed limits - particularly on the motorways.

Think about it...

Go faster = less time on the road.

Mass amounts of cars spending less time on the roads = less traffic jams caused by too many cars.

...and it will perpetuate itself

!

*Edit: You could also get to the raceway (or anywhere else) more quickly, as well)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well I couldn't help but reply to defend my workplace! Mondello is not in the middle of nowhere I live near Stillorgan and I drive out to Mondello which is almost exactly a 60 mile return trip which I do in around 40 mins. As for not being able to get a decent speed on the track that a complete load of crap. If you can get a decent speed on Mondello then you are most likely a poor driver. Not to mention the fun part is the corners in any case, going fast in a straight line is boring but going into turn 3 flat is much more interesting.

I do agree that we could do with a few more tracks but their isn't a big enough market for it. I know this is a motoring forum and WE would love loads of tracks but the average joe doesn't care. If your looking for somewhere else to try give kirkistown a try, its just basically two long straights. Its a decent track especially in the wet :)

http://www.kirkistowntrackdays.co.uk/

I respect your point... But you have to respect mine... a good driver in a good car can lap mondello in around a minute. thats a very short course.

now i'm all for the corners mate, i prefer that to going straight but the track needs to be longer. 3 min Lap would be class. I long straight and lots of corners would be class, something like Road Atlanta in the US or Monza or Silver stone.

Know what I mean? even if they extended it. the reason its so twisty is because of the small plot of land its on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I respect your point... But you have to respect mine... a good driver in a good car can lap mondello in around a minute. thats a very short course.

now i'm all for the corners mate, i prefer that to going straight but the track needs to be longer. 3 min Lap would be class. I long straight and lots of corners would be class, something like Road Atlanta in the US or Monza or Silver stone.

Know what I mean? even if they extended it. the reason its so twisty is because of the small plot of land its on.
    OT: blame DeValera for not taking us into WWII; we'd now have lots of disused airfields to play on if he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Stephen wrote: »
    1 thing: Improve the roads. So many of our so-called national routes are utter death traps. See the recent thread on this subject for evidence.

+1

So simple really, yet so very overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Introduce directional parking.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kill all stupid people

speed doesn't kill, stupid people do

anyone who disagrees can join the stupid people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Stephen wrote: »

werd

Advertisement