Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What 1 thing would you change to improve overall motoring in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Amber before Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Take women drivers off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Get rid of the NCT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK my change would be:

Make everyone have to re-take their driving test every 5 years. Education is the key - If everyone on the road were far better drivers, there would be far less accidents and problems on the road. The majority of people on the roads have more than a few bad habits, or are simply uneducated as to the rules of the road. The driving test would of course have to be of a higher standard, more like an advanced driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

ballooba wrote: »
    Amber before Green.

^ + a zillion

driving in Germany is great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Instead of the morbid road death ads which are obviously going over the heads of the very people they are directed towards, 3 teenagers killed locally in last year! How about 30 second educational ads in their place highlighting correct procedures. Happened to spend 8 hours on the road yesterday and really was shocked with the level of ignorance towards basic & mandatory rules of the road, from indicators/lights/lane changes/round~abouts etc. really could go on but our behaviour is the pits!:confused::confused:

Country really needs to be reeducated on this front...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

alpina wrote: »
    Instead of the morbid road death ads which are obviously going over the heads of the very people they are directed towards, 3 teenagers killed locally in last year! How about 30 second educational ads in their place highlighting correct procedures. Happened to spend 8 hours on the road yesterday and really was shocked with the level of ignorance towards basic & mandatory rules of the road, from indicators/lights/lane changes/round~abouts etc. really could go on but our behaviour is the pits!:confused::confused:

Country really needs to be reeducated on this front...

What (s)he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

People should be made resit the test at least once every 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Are you mad? Life is painful enough without more state nannying and bureaucracy.
    There is nothing wrong with road safety in Ireland.

I'd just stick more 2km 1one way overtaking lanes all over any road that will take 3 lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Zascar wrote: »
    OK my change would be:

Make everyone have to re-take their driving test every 5 years. Education is the key - If everyone on the road were far better drivers, there would be far less accidents and problems on the road. The majority of people on the roads have more than a few bad habits, or are simply uneducated as to the rules of the road. The driving test would of course have to be of a higher standard, more like an advanced driving test.

+1. couldn't put it any better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

grahambo wrote: »
    Only 1 thing.

I'd add another motor racing circuit closer to Dublin, Mondello is in the middle of no-where and the circuit isn't the best, far to short and narrow, you can lap it in under a minute is a really good car... not much fun.

Im from mayo and I regard mondello as being in dublin. Its only a few mins from dublin. A circuit in the west(of the country, not west dublin) would be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Phaetonman wrote: »

55169.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^^^ beats a lolcat any day....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stop giving people who can't drive a driving license! Passing an eye test and a theory test is just not good enough. People should be in a dual control vehicle with a fully qualified, licensed professional driving instructor until they pass their driving test. Simple. Works everywhere else in the world.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet (although Fey! came close)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

unkel wrote: »
    Stop giving people who can't drive a driving license! Passing an eye test and a theory test is just not good enough. People should be in a dual control vehicle with a fully qualified, licensed professional driving instructor until they pass their driving test. Simple. Works everywhere else in the world.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet (although Fey! came close)

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Traffic police that actually care about there job and the way people drive.

I see numerous Gardai driving past people who are doing illegal maneuvers even facilitating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Are you mad? Life is painful enough without more state nannying and bureaucracy.

I'd just stick more 2km 1one way overtaking lanes all over any road that will take 3 lanes.

I agree, not enough overtaking lanes. Overtaking on donegal roads is risky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Engineer out all so called "black spots" immediately. If people have been killed because of the bad design of a road corner or junction its unsafe for public use and should be removed post haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Instead of a traffic corps I'd have sharp-shooters. Anybody who can't drive properly or drives dangerously probably won't be missed in the gene pool anyway........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

a mate of mine suggested putting the road tax and insurance (3rd party only) into the price of fuel, therefore the more you burn the more you pay.. which seems fair to an extent.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    55169.JPG
    Reported for pointless unfunny pictures.

Road deaths in Ireland are a fraction of what they were 20 years ago and are falling. This has more to do with the quality of cars and roads rather than driver education so road safety is fine in Ireland.

Reported for pointless unfunny pictures.

Road deaths in Ireland are a fraction of what they were 20 years ago and are falling. This has more to do with the quality of cars and roads rather than driver education so road safety is fine in Ireland.

That's an astonishing leap of logic to make. Would you not agree that it would be possible for zero road fatalities if everyone drove safely? I don't see why we shouldn't try to improve safety if we can.

How long have you been driving and never seen something unsafe on the roads?

People can always be safer but at what cost. If everybody drove at 1mph there would be no deaths at all.

I'm done a fair share of driving in my time and I see a bit of bad driving but nothing like the road safety zealots on here see. I hardly ever see dangerous driving on Irish roads. I've seen one accident occur in all my life both as a pedestrian and a motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

javaboy wrote: »
    55169.JPG

Quoted for being a very funny picture which perfectly illustrates the point. ;)

People can always be safer but at what cost. If everybody drove at 1mph there would be no deaths at all.

I'm done a fair share of driving in my time and I see a bit of bad driving but nothing like the road safety zealots on here see. I hardly ever see dangerous driving on Irish roads. I've seen one accident occur in all my life both as a pedestrian and a motorist.

Do you know what caused that accident? I'd be very surprised if it was something that was not in some way down to driver error. Even if it was, you'll hear countless stories on here from people who have seen accidents caused by driver error. Nobody's saying go 1mph but I really don't think Irish driving has reached the level where the best safety vs speed balance has been found. I'm sure with better drivers, we could continue at the same speeds or faster with less accidents. My 2c.
    prospect wrote: »

Thanks. Sadly, I made it myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

If i could do 1 thing it would be to have proper road surfaces. None of this lets spend thousands laying new road only to dig it up again in 1 months time because we forgot to lay cables/pipes, and then filling with with crap that makes the road dangerous to drive on. Our road surfaces are the cause of alot of crashes and this needs to be addressed.

prospect wrote: »
    illustrates teh point? That I need to fly a helicopter called roflcopter? What the **** does that mean?
    Grow up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

LOL! Ahh newbies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

logik wrote: »
    If i could do 1 thing it would be to have proper road surfaces. None of this lets spend thousands laying new road only to dig it up again in 1 months time because we forgot to lay cables/pipes, and then filling with with crap that makes the road dangerous to drive on. Our road surfaces are the cause of alot of crashes and this needs to be addressed.

Nah, the roads are far far worse in Belgium and their accident rates arent that high, hard to compare though becuase each country measures it differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

get rid of roundabouts. The cause of so much traffic gridlock. These ''panel beaters heavens'' should be replaced by spaghetti viaducts offering continuous driving rather than a queue every hour of the day.

Advertisement