Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa card stamp duty

Options
  • 28-04-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

last November I closed my current account and visa account with Ulster bank.

I had no debts on my card. I got a card statement billing me for stamp duty this April for 30euro. Rang visa and they quoted the government of Ireland act 2005 whereby when you close a credit card account, you are charged stamp duty. that means if I closed my account in Jan 08 i would have been charged the stamp duty for 08 and the stamp duty for closing the account.

They are having a laugh, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

They are correct.

Its a bummer alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Astonishing. How do they justify this 'duty' or tax for making a choice in closing an account. Its sending out a very strange message regarding shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

It is hard to see how they justify it, but thats tax for you. Its stated in the Terms & Conditions of the card that you are liable for the duty for the year ahead, as you found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eddie73 wrote: »
    last November I closed my current account and visa account with Ulster bank.

I had no debts on my card. I got a card statement billing me for stamp duty this April for 30euro. Rang visa and they quoted the government of Ireland act 2005 whereby when you close a credit card account, you are charged stamp duty. that means if I closed my account in Jan 08 i would have been charged the stamp duty for 08 and the stamp duty for closing the account.

They are having a laugh, right?

You just got the bill now? It is correct as already said, just with other cards i have closed they normally charge at the time of close for the following april

Advertisement