Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truce Time...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

Kelly:

Try applying the same criteria to your arguements about faith that you would apply to an argument about anything else, and you will see how cretinous they sound.

For example: If you and I were arguing about which Football Team was going to win the league. And I were simply to fold my arms and say "Dorking Wanderers" will win.

And you go, "Um, but they're at the bottom of the 100th division, they've never won any matches, their goalies got one leg and their striker is blind, and they're all over 80". Imagine how appalled you'd be if I simply said "Yes but I beleive they're going to win."

That's how your 'arguements' sound to us. You've already made up your mind that god exists, he wrote this book, there's a heaven and hell, etc, and you simply state it. No evidence, no proof, no logic, nothing. Whether or not you agree with atheism is up to you, but I can offer you a reasonable argument in support of it.

You havent even attempted to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

rowlandbrowner

I am a free citizen in a free country and I have the power to openly state this, Christians are stupid, your beliefs are ridiculous, grow up and face what the world really is.

You can say this about Christians. Saying it about Muslims could be bad for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

kelly1 wrote: »
    Folks, I think it's time to call a truce between the our warring sides!

These debates (arguments) are getting us nowhere. Both sides are becoming more and more intransigent and instead of coming to an understanding of each other's position, we seems to be getting more frustrated and incredulous.

Instead of ridiculing and belitting each other's point of view, why don't we try to come to an understanding? Nobody has a right to judge any of you and it's also wrong of you to ridicule someone's beliefs. We both believe we're right so progress can only be made when we're prepared to listen and understand the other side of the argument.

I would encourage atheists/agnostics to ask genuine questions in the Christianity forum and not come trying to catch us out. But I objects to posts/threads which are intended only to ridicule or mock.

I've been guilty of generalisation in the past and again I apologise for this. I've also heard far too much generalization from your side. I'm going to stop evangelizing in your forum. So let's just show each other a bit more respect.

Take care,
    Noel. :)
    I'd have more respect for you than others. I admire anyone who takes an unfashionable view and is prepared to argue it. I admire anyone who is willing to take on the regular posters of the A&A forum. I've tried it myself sometimes and I know it ain't easy. Most Christians stick their head in the sand and their faith appears nothing more than an unquestioned delusion. You are reminder that Christians are prepared to debate and discuss.

Life needs a bit of diversity. Hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

It is my belief that someone who doesn't love God can't be saved but my belief is only that. God is the final judge, not me or anyone else.

But you have no proof/evidence for God nothing, nada, zilch etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

MrPudding wrote: »
    Can you answer the naked Indonesian lady one please? it is posted in two different threads that you are posting on... you can't miss it.

MrP
    See posts 101 and 114 in the "Evil" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I would encourage atheists/agnostics to ask genuine questions in the Christianity forum and not come trying to catch us out. But I objects to posts/threads which are intended only to ridicule or mock.

This had me laughing though I hope this doesn't mean that you'll be avoiding the A&A forum.

Evidence my good man. There is no evidence for the existence of god/gods and you have never provided any.
    You know as well as I do that there is no evidence that God exists so why are you asking?
    By the way we're still waiting for a response on the naked Indonesians??
    I replied twice.
    tbh wrote: »
    1. It's time for her to reconcile herself with God. How [she] acts towards God between now the time she dies will determine her eternal fate.

2. All she has to do is turn to God and trust in His mercy and her sins will be forgiven. All she needs to be saved is a genuine contrite confession.

3. She is facing the death of her physical body but her soul will continue to exist either in agony or ecstasy and I pray that God will be merciful to her.

Three times you've said there that if she doesn't turn to God, she'll go to hell.
    The above is judgmental of me but I'm not condemning her to Hell. I don't know what will happen between now and the time she dies and I don't know of the state of her soul.

That's how your 'arguements' sound to us. You've already made up your mind that god exists, he wrote this book, there's a heaven and hell, etc, and you simply state it. No evidence, no proof, no logic, nothing. Whether or not you agree with atheism is up to you, but I can offer you a reasonable argument in support of it.

You havent even attempted to do the same.
    I believe there is plenty of circumstantial evidence (experiences of the saints and miracles). I've made several arguments for God's existence so you can't claim that I've made no attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I believe there is plenty of circumstantial evidence (experiences of the saints and miracles). I've made several arguments for God's existence so you can't claim that I've made no attempt.

None of them are very convincing. And they're few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Folks, I think it's time to call a truce between the our warring sides!

These debates (arguments) are getting us nowhere. Both sides are becoming more and more intransigent and instead of coming to an understanding of each other's position, we seems to be getting more frustrated and incredulous.

Instead of ridiculing and belitting each other's point of view, why don't we try to come to an understanding? Nobody has a right to judge any of you and it's also wrong of you to ridicule someone's beliefs. We both believe we're right so progress can only be made when we're prepared to listen and understand the other side of the argument.

I've been guilty of generalisation in the past and again I apologise for this. I've also heard far too much generalization from your side. I'm going to stop evangelizing in your forum. So let's just show each other a bit more respect.

Take care,
    Noel. :)

I think we can have respect for each other to a point. The main problem is that religion is surrounded by a bit of a taboo which I choose to ignore. Religion is funny business and ought to be laughed at (scientology!? I mean come on :D) and anyone that enforces the taboo by claiming they are insulted, feel belittled or arent taken seriously enough its their own fault for taking their religion too seriously.

That said, discussion can be very worthwhile. Religions do work for people even if they are silly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think that post is a good one to end this thread on.

There's not much going to be achieved by letting it continue. See you all in the next thread. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement