Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Light stalk burnout

Options
  • 28-04-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Well, I was just driving home yesterday when I noticed smoke on the inside of my car coming from the light stalk on the steering wheel. When I tried, I couldn't switch the lights off as if they've fused together or something like that.

The battery is now disconnected so that the lights don't wear it out but I need to go to a Toyota garage, preferably in the Lucan/Palmerstown area - any recommendations and any idea what the hell happened and will it be hugely expensive??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

McCoy's on the Lucan Bypass are the nearest Toyota dealers to Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You most likely had a short / bad earth somewhere in your wiring loom.

Theoretically one of the fuses should catch that and prevent this from resulting in meltdown/fire.

As this didn't happen in your case, it could very well be a fairly expensive fault finding / re-wiring affair in the end.

Take some pics of the light stalk before you leave it in. An electrical current strong enough to cause a fire in close proximity of the driver is certainly unusual and a severe fault.

Depending on the age of the car (and assuming that the electrics weren't fiddled with), you shouldn't really have to pay for this yourself. If it is a new car, Toyota can can themselves lucky if you don't sue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 susana

MYOB wrote: »
    McCoy's on the Lucan Bypass are the nearest Toyota dealers to Lucan.

thanks, yes, that's where I've been recommended to go.
    peasant wrote: »
    You most likely had a short / bad earth somewhere in your wiring loom.

Theoretically one of the fuses should catch that and prevent this from resulting in meltdown/fire.

As this didn't happen in your case, it could very well be a fairly expensive fault finding / re-wiring affair in the end.

Take some pics of the light stalk before you leave it in. An electrical current strong enough to cause a fire in close proximity of the driver is certainly unusual and a severe fault.

Depending on the age of the car (and assuming that the electrics weren't fiddled with), you shouldn't really have to pay for this yourself. If it is a new car, Toyota can can themselves lucky if you don't sue :D

Not a brand new car but I just bought it so the garage I bought from have agreed to cover costs, thank god. Will take some pictures, hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Advertisement