Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So.. Robinson..

Options
  • 28-04-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still unsure as to what happened here, last season he was a fantastic keeper, England number 1 and perfectly capable of keeping his space had we gotten 4th place. This season he's been deemed a liability, we've all seen a few of his f*ck ups, he's been accused of not controlling his defence and there's no question that we want him replaced.

Was he found out, has he just lost the plot or is this just one of those really unfair aspects of an ambitious squad that if you make a few mistakes (a GK can make one mistake and lose the game for the team) you're out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Kold wrote: »
    I'm still unsure as to what happened here, last season he was a fantastic keeper, England number 1 and perfectly capable of keeping his space had we gotten 4th place. This season he's been deemed a liability, we've all seen a few of his f*ck ups, he's been accused of not controlling his defence and there's no question that we want him replaced.

Was he found out, has he just lost the plot or is this just one of those really unfair aspects of an ambitious squad that if you make a few mistakes (a GK can make one mistake and lose the game for the team) you're out.

Not as bad a keeper as he has appeared at times this season but then again he never all that great. When he came in he was better than Keller so we were happy enough with that. Also being English he was overrated by some supporters and by some sections of the media. He seems to have burned his bridges with Ramos so he's on the way out probably to Boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I had really high hopes for Robbo. Can't figure out where he went wrong. He is still young enough but I think the relationship between himself and Ramos is not great so I expect him to move on. HOpefully we can get a decent keeper in, Ramos is going to be busy in the market this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Kold wrote: »
    I'm still unsure as to what happened here, last season he was a fantastic keeper,

Was he though?

All of the faults he's shown in spades this season were there last year, but they've been left to fester for too long and he's lost what little edge he did have.

Should have been dropped long before he was, and we should have prioritised either a new keeper or decent back up as transfer targets to keep him on his toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I think I've said this before but IMO Robbo has not been the same keeper since 2006 World Cup.

EPL Season 06/07 was poor
    EPL Season 07/08 disastrous (with very rare exception)

I can except most players will have bad patch (or drop in confidence) during each season but NOT two whole seasons. If you rated keeprs from 1 - 10, I'd personally rate Robbo as a 3 / 4 over the last 2 seasons whereas Van De Saar would be 8 / 9. Ok, so theres not an abundance of Van de Saars around but we need a reliable keeper. Someone the team and fans can trust.

I'm dissapointed he'll have to go but basically I believe he's not good enough to help us move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The man hasn't the confidence to catch a cross anymore, he just tries to punch everything,I think we need a new keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Season 1 - Excellent
    Season 2 - Satisfactory
    Season 3 - Room for improvement
    Season 4 - Liability

Thanks for the good memories Robbo but it's time for a permanent change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Never thought he was a great keeper - English rag hype and big fish in a small pond syndrome!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i sitll rank him with cech as the best reaction save stopper in the english game.

its just the rest o fhis game, like crossing, long range shots, positioning, that lets him down.

if he doesnt have to use his brain, hes awesome. i would love cudacini.

Advertisement