Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Levy for Modric deal, says Ramos

Options
  • 28-04-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Credit Levy for Spurs' Luka Modric deal, says Ramos

By Telegraph staff and agencies
    Last Updated: 1:37pm BST 28/04/2008

After the storm of controversy surrounding his handling of Martin Jol's dismissal earlier this season, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy can be forgiven for growing wary of media attention but his current manager is adamant that the top man at Spurs deserves praise for completing the £15.8 million signing of Luka Modric from Dinamo Zagreb.

The Croatia international's move to White Hart Lane will be sealed when the formalities of a medical and work permit are completed, and manager Juande Ramos is relieved that the talented midfielder has not been lured to another team.

This, according to Ramos, is due to Levy acting quickly as the diminutive playmaker had been linked with a number of clubs including Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Barcelona.

"We had to speed things up because if not we could have lost him," Ramos said of the sought-after Modric. "The chairman acted very quickly."

For his part, Modric has revealed the importance of Juande Ramos in his decision to sign for Spurs - and he wants to play in the Champions League under his new head coach.

"I want to play for Tottenham in international football - Champions League or Uefa Cup games," the 22-year-old said. "I want to achieve big things with the club and be in the top group of teams in the Premier League.

"I am happy that the coach Juande Ramos wanted me, it is the most important thing that the coach wants you as a player. It is right that many clubs in England were interested in taking me, but my favourite from the first meeting was Tottenham because I am a big fan of coach Ramos."

Modric, who will join Tottenham after Euro 2008, will offer Ramos options across his midfield next season.

"We've signed him because the player is able to adapt to the characteristics of the team," Ramos said. "He can play in any position in midfield. He is a footballer with an enormous future and I just hope he gives the best of himself when he's here."

Modric is seen as the playmaker to supply Dimitar Berbatov but Ramos conceded at the weekend that the Bulgaria forward could be allowed to leave if a club meets Spurs' valuation.

"We know the situation of Berbatov and we are quite calm about it. If a team comes along and pays the asking price the chairman wants, then possibly yes," he said. "If not, we're delighted to have him here."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/28/ufntot128.xml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

No mention of our esteemed director of football - interesting.
    Didn't know he was only 22 - lovely.

Advertisement