Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Student Research Article

Options
  • 28-04-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Download PDF here

Students in New York were given the assignment to purposely stutter in public (ie: pretend to be stutters). The paper discussed two students perceptions and interactions from this simple excercise. It is intersting to see how rapidly they become uncomfortable, self-conscincous, and perceive negative feelings from "non-stutters".

Have a read of it and post what you think :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Yeah most colleges now include this as part 'trying to understand the life of a stutterer'.

They mean well I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

raemie21 wrote: »
    Yeah most colleges now include this as part 'trying to understand the life of a stutterer'.

They mean well I guess.

I don't think its a case of 'meaning well'. To me it seems like an essential aspect to training people to become better speech therapists. The best speech therapists are people who have a stammer or who have overcome their stammer (at least in my experience) so it stands to reason that trying to understand the stammering mind is essential in any would-be 'fluent' speaking therapists. Interesting article, cheers for posting it Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

I didn't mean to be patronising. I agree that it's a good idea and for us all, even having an occasional whole word repetition or block is embarrassing and not a nice experience.
    I think from other posts even here some people didn't agree with it so was just trying to acknowledge that. It's interesting that people or students who 'put on a stutter' will also show common associated features such as reduced eye contact, head down, shorter utterances etc. even if trying it out in front of peers.
    Yeah, definitely SLTs with personal stammering experience are in a more ideal position to provide a service.

Advertisement