Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with my faults?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I did my test a month ago and failed. I replied the same day and found out today that I'll be doing my new test with SGS. I rang them and they offered me a date in June but my licence will be expired so I have been put on their 'priority list' and could get a test anyday now.

Anyway, this got me thinking about my faults on my first test. I got a grade two for use of accelerator, clutch, gears and brake. I don't really understand how these are received and was wondering if anyone can help?

Clutch - well obviously that would be coasting, which I don't do.

Breaks - I didn't slam on them or anything and also stopped smoothly.

Accelerator - I didn't rev the engine or anything like that.

Gears - I assume this would be driving in too high/too low a gear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm not asking for people to tell me what I personally am doing wrong but am asking where people generally get faults on these things. I have been with a very reputable driving instructor who, after my test, said he couldn't see where I got the faults from. I know it may have been the tester's own personal opinion regarding these faults but I just want to be prepared as to what I could get faults on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

ergonomics wrote: »
    Anyway, this got me thinking about my faults on my first test. I got a grade two for use of accelerator, clutch, gears and brake. I don't really understand how these are received and was wondering if anyone can help?

Clutch - well obviously that would be coasting, which I don't do.

Breaks - I didn't slam on them or anything and also stopped smoothly.

Accelerator - I didn't rev the engine or anything like that.

Gears - I assume this would be driving in too high/too low a gear.

It is very hard to tell without seeing you drive but just some suggestions.

Clutch = Make sure you life your foot fully off the clutch and place it on the floor if neccessary. Otherwise the instructor may not be able to judge properly here.

Breaks = All I could think of was late breaking. Or a jolt/jump at the end of the breaking period. Also could have something to do with covering your brakes when you are stopped or soemthing.

Accelerator = No idea apart from accelerating to fast. The other thing is that these two things could be combined and that your speed was fluxiating when there was no need for it to.

Gears = Could be not moving up the gears at the appropraite time (too fast too slow). The same could be said for moving down the gears. Also leaving the car in gear at traffic lights etc when your are going to be stationary from long periods of time. Taking corners, or approaching junctions in the wrong gear.

There really could be a load of reasons for each one. You may have tried fishing for more info on the day. The other option is to try a different instructor for a pre test to two and see if he/she spots anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

From your opening post, I too, like donegalfella, was wondering who can be there in person to see what your faults might be...

On braking:
    - good use of progressive braking?
    - did the car jerk at the last moment of completly being stopped?
    - on release of footbrake, did the car roll back?

On acceleration:
    - was clutch fully up when the gas-pedal is pressed? Engine will over-rev if not
    - still accelerating towards a red light?

On clutch:
    - were you de-clutching smoothly? If not, car can jerk as clutch goes up
    - are you clutching in too quickly as you slow down or stop?

On gears:
    - was it in the right gear for the current speed?

Some of these are quite tricky to pick up as your instructor could have been "immuned" to them on seeing you at the wheel. That is why a pre-test is useful - another instructor will notice the little things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

This might not be great help, but I messed up a hill start at the very start of my test (leaving the test centre - can anyone guess the centre?). Anyway, I released the handbrake and started to roll back, just messed up the whole thing really and got a grade 2 for handbrake, clutch and accelerator all in one go. Did you have a dodgy hillstart during yours maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

noblestee wrote: »
    This might not be great help, but I messed up a hill start at the very start of my test (leaving the test centre - can anyone guess the centre?). Anyway, I released the handbrake and started to roll back, just messed up the whole thing really and got a grade 2 for handbrake, clutch and accelerator all in one go. Did you have a dodgy hillstart during yours maybe?
    I would say Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

noblestee wrote: »

Ahhh, that could be it. My tester made me really nervous so I started doing stupid mistakes. During my hill start I wasn't in gear so rolled back. I may also have slammed on the brakes to catch myself. That could be it. Thanks!

Advertisement