Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip & Pin for Laser/Credit Cards, etc.

Options
  • 28-04-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Is it not legal since 17th March last year for all retailers to have a chip and pin system on their tills, for customers that are paying with Laser/Credit Card, etc, or are they still allowed to get customers to sign to authorise the payment ??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They should have it but i don't think retailers are required by law, quote below is for retailers
    You can continue to accept a signature up to (and including) 17 March 2007. After this time, transactions may be declined by the card issuer if a PIN is not used with a Chip and PIN card.

But recommended they do, none chip and pin transactions are meant to be a fall back
    Will cardholders always have the option to sign instead of keying in a PIN (fallback to signature)?

The full benefits of fraud prevention that Chip & PIN can provide will only come into effect when all Chip and PIN card transactions are verified by PIN and the option for cardholders to sign for Chip & PIN transactions has been removed

I think there was alot of LIDL shops not having chip and pin for the deadline but after a lot of publicly they installed them fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Retailers don't have to have chip & pin. I work in a place that still asks people to sign and we plan to for the forseeable future.

The difference since the 17th of March is the shift in liability. If the retailer accepts a transaction that turns out to be fradulent and they didn't ask for the PIN then the retailer is liable for the value of the transaction not the bank.

Advertisement