Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended reading for 1st yr primary teaching??

• 28-04-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hey all

would love if anyone could help me out - im headin back to college and would love to do something over the summer to prepare myself!!
    i have applied to do primary teaching and would love anyone to help me out and recommend reading materials/ suggested study things etc for me - even if any first year primary teaching students had reading lists etc that they may feel like sharing !!!!!!

Would really appreciate any help or advice

Cheers!!
    :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Changes year to year to be honest.
    I'd just suggest reading up on the curriculum particularly the introduction.
    I didnt do any reading before starting the b.ed and neither did anyone i know.
    Experience in a school, either subbing or volunteering would be far more beneficial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

yeah ive done some subbing and i absolutely loved it and it really set in concrete for me that i want to do this you know??im goin to try get some more before i start tho too....
    yeah goin to have a look at the curriculum alrite....i suppose that prob is the best idea

cheers
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

There's not much you can read to prepare tbh.
    I didn't read a tap before entering into my B.Ed nor anyone else I knew as squishyqishy said..and we're all doing fine!:D
    The curriculum is the only thing really, just get familiar with the strand/strand units etc.
    Best of Luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

Hi,

Im so sorry for going off the sugject, but can you tell me is there any basic requirment needed for being a substitute. Like for example, higher level irish in the leaving cert, or some sort of qualification?

Sorry again, in changing the subject!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No, pretty much anyone can walk in & sub a class. Of course, it's up to the principal who they choose to sub, so they're going to be selective, but you don't need any particular qualifications as such to do it, just that you're enthusiastic & hoping to follow that career path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    No, pretty much anyone can walk in & sub a class. Of course, it's up to the principal who they choose to sub, so they're going to be selective, but you don't need any particular qualifications as such to do it, just that you're enthusiastic & hoping to follow that career path.

Schools are obliged to hire fully qualified teachers for subbing.

If no suitably qualified primary teacher is available then they can hired an unqualified sub. until a fully qualified sub is available.

When hiring an unqualified sub. nearly all would look for someone with a 3rd level qualification.

No, pretty much anyone can walk in & sub a class.

not true - one would need a certain minimum level of education to teach ....minimum honours in many leaving cert subjects, usually including Irish, and also have a command of the Irish language.

D.E.S. CIRCULAR 15/2005

Employment of Qualified Teachers

Boards of Management are obliged to recruit and employ fully qualified primary teachers for any vacancy in the school, regardless of the duration of the vacancy. Information regarding recognised qualifications can be obtained from the Primary Administration Section of the Department (Tel: 090 6483735/6483736).

Under no circumstances should a Board of Management engage an untrained person and commit to retaining that person for the full duration of a teacher’s absence on maternity leave, parental leave, career break etc.

It should be noted that a post-primary qualified teacher is not fully qualified for the purposes of appointment as a primary teacher.

In the event that no suitable qualified teacher applies for a post and an untrained person is appointed pending the availability of a qualified teacher, the Board must outline to the Department the efforts made to secure a qualified teacher and the circumstances that necessitated the appointment of an untrained person.

The procedures for the appointment of teachers as outlined in the Constitution of Boards & Rules of Procedures for Boards of Management of National Schools must be adhered to at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

can anyone give advice as to subjects to take for B.Ed.What is music like as main subject?Thanks

With regards to Mary I or St.Pats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

For St.Pats.Thanks

Well I'm just out of Mary I so can't help you on that one I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement