Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here a police officer?

• 28-04-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've been considering joining the local police department in my city and I was curious to know how some of you overcame any fear or anxiety you had about being hurt or killed on the job.

It's a little scary to think that on any given day, you might not come home alive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

You sound American?

Theres a few PSNI Police officers and Gardai on here alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LepperJoe

You sound American?

Theres a few PSNI Police officers and Gardai on here alright.

I find it interesting you were able to pick that up. I'm Canadian, but you were close :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

LepperJoe wrote: »
    joining the local police department in my city

is the giveaway....our Garda force is national!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It's fairly easy to pick up on mate, we don't have city police forces here in Ireland, there's 2 forces on the entire island, An Garda Síochána (Republic of Ireland national police force) and the Police Service of Northern Ireland so the joining your city force kinda gave it away.

I am currently a Student Garda, so i'm still in training, have to say I haven't made the wrong decision to join, i know there are dangers in the job, but there's some kind of danger in most jobs, I say if it's something you want to do and something that will make you happy then just do it, you will get more than enough training and have more than enough back up to get you through 99.999% of dangerous situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Situations where your life are at risk are generally rare enough but when/if you do come across it, it is more about you spotting the difficulties ahead and avoiding them through verbal communication or physical action.

Primary weapon to get yourself out of trouble, you should be using your mouth and common sense and then talk your way out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement