Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum List missing

Options
  • 28-04-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

The forum list has gone missing from the bottom right of the page?

In both individual threads and main forum pages.

I haven't changed any user settings, anyone know what's up? Or have I missed this posted elsewhere :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep, missing here too.

Vista SP1 Firefox/3.0b5

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I've removed it to see if it has any positive effect on server load (not terribly likely) and to see if it has any positive effect on bandwidth (likely).

Should make pages load a very slightly faster, and I don't think it'll be missed by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

But now I have to click the top left, the top left CuLT!

This is not on //stomps off complaining about boards being a joke etc. etc.

tribulus wrote: »
    But now I have to click the top left, the top left CuLT!

This is not on //stomps off complaining about boards being a joke etc. etc.
    Well if it does turn out to be something people actually use then I can stick it back, but my extensive research* into user habits has shown that nobody really uses it :)

*asked in IRC if anyone used it after I removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I welcome this change to boards and Cult's sexy hair.

The Subbed menu is where i keep my regularly visted forums. If people are complaining about having to scroll back up to the top, all you need to do is hit 'Home' on your keyboard or click the "Top" in the bottom bar and you get brought back up there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah crap, I hope it comes back, I use it all the time. Finding it very irritating without the list. :(

People used it? :eek:

Maybe I'm the only one. :)

Only ever used it to go back into the main forum page after reading down to the end of a thread or posting. It was very handy, maybe it could be reinstated just to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I cant remember ever using it. I prefer to use the menu's at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I used it but just as a handy way of navigating back to the highlighted forum, rather than hit home key and select it from the top left after reading the page of a thread. I wouldn't have used it to move to another forum at all, so I won't really miss it...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    I used it but just as a handy way of navigating back to the highlighted forum

Actually that explains better what I meant, I meant the main forum page that the current thread is in, not the site front page.

The only time I used it was when the drop down menu went missing.

How's that?

*points down*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

CuLT wrote: »
    How's that?

*points down*
    eh.. -.-

Looks a bit..off? I dunno.

How's that?

*points down*

Excellent stuff.

How's that?

*points down*

It's ok. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Perfect, it will save my scrolling fingers lol.

Now all we want is a voice recognition system so we can just say what forum/thread we want and it will go there immediately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I thought pages seemed to be loading faster alright. Extra breadcrumb trail is a great compromise.

How's that?

*points down*

Actually that's a more sensible way of doing it, cheers CuLT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's funny, I was thinking that you could easily put the same hyperlinks down the bottom as were at the top...right alligned would make it more visible IMO for anyone that does use this method of navigation, but this ways fine. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Zaph wrote: »
    Maybe I'm the only one. :)

Only ever used it to go back into the main forum page after reading down to the end of a thread or posting. It was very handy, maybe it could be reinstated just to do that?

Same as myself. Its pissing me off a bit, but I can adjust I suppose :p .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Wertz wrote: »
    It's funny, I was thinking that you could easily put the same hyperlinks down the bottom as were at the top...right alligned would make it more visible IMO for anyone that does use this method of navigation, but this ways fine. Cheers.

Yeah right aligned would be well tight :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I miss said feature. Very handy for navigating a category without having to scroll back up 20 posts to the DHTML menu.

Harrumph.

Can it not be added as a feature in the User CP, like changing from 15 to 20 posts per page??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

*Phew*

Glad it's not gone, I use it all the time.

Now I'll just have to get used to it at the bottom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and I don't think it'll be missed by many.

Wrong.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

troll65 wrote: »
    Wrong.

Mike.
    but its good in the long run?

mike65 wrote: »
    Wrong.

Mike.
    You don't count mike :)

You'd complain if war and poverty were eradicated.

I'll keep an eye on how people react to this in any case. It's one of the first things on the chopping block on forums with more than a few forums, and boards.ie is much bigger than most.

DMC wrote: »
    I miss said feature. Very handy for navigating a category without having to scroll back up 20 posts to the DHTML menu.

Harrumph.

Can it not be added as a feature in the User CP, like changing from 15 to 20 posts per page??
    Might do that, we'll see how it goes for the moment.

FYI, there's a "top" link at the bottom of the page just below where the forumjump menu was that brings you to the top of the page, and thus the DHTML menu. No scrolling necessary :)

The "Home" button on your keyboard does the same thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

FYI, there's a "top" link at the bottom of the page

Never noticed that before, guess because I was always using the list before to get back to the forum and never read that far down. Prefer the new links though now they are there.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I always used to use that menu for moving back from threads in to the forum.

I think I can get used to these new links, though it would be great if they could be right justified! :)

Advertisement