Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to UK with Campervan

• 28-04-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, myself and my partner will be moving to the UK soon and thought that it would be a good idea to buy a campervan here, pack up our gear (inclusive of two cats) and drive over. This seemed like a perfectly simple idea until insurance issues cropped up. Namely:

a) It seems that you can only insure a campervan here when you are already insured on another main or daily use vehicle.
    b) To get insured by a UK company it seems you have to be resident there for at least 3 years.

Solutions, anybody?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 airodump

As far as buying the van goes get one in england its a lot cheaper. Im sure if you phoned round a few english insurance companies you will get a quote once you have an address over there. I had an english reg camper insured with fbd I phoned them up and told them I had a converted van and wanted temporary cover and got it to the value of the van as a van not a camper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 champer

You would be way better off waiting until you get to the UK to buy a van as they are much cheaper there. Alot of the vans that are over here are actually imports from the UK, so basically someone paid VRT (which wouold be incorporated into the cost)and then you are taking it back again and bear in mind that ferries are alos very expensive.
    There is also a much greater variety of van on offer there.

Best of luck with the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

How much stuff do you need to pack in? For an average motorhome the payload is no more than 500Kgs which includes passangers. You could find yourself overweight which is illegal.
    Given your choice I'd be purchasing in the UK where there's a greater choice and better value to be had. Check the various insurance companies over there as somebody is bound to offer you a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jostef

Thanx guys. I've been looking at ebay UK and your right, they do seem to be more plentiful and less expensive so I'll give that idea consideration. The only thing is I still want to use the van to transport some stuff (not too much..the cats are probably the most important as don't want to send them by plane). That means the added expense of going over checking vans out and bringing back on ferry. But, if it's the best option I will.
    Other problem is still insurance. No point in buying one if I can't insure it over there...or here for that matter!

Advertisement