Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue solid oak floor?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

I'm thinking of getting solid oak flooring in the hall, sitting room and playroom. However I'm totally confused as to the best way to get it put down. I've spoken to several different suppliers and they all tell me different things. Irwins in Castleblaney recommended glueing it down, said it would be very solid, less noise etc. The local guy said that there was no way he would glue a solid floor. He recommended putting down plywood (we've concrete floors) and nailing the boards to it. He also said it would raise the level of the floor substantially and all the interior and hall doors and would have to be cut. This sounds like a major job and now I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go with good quality laminate... Help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well I have 100 sq. metres of solid oak laid on underlay and glued. It's 100% so I can recommend you glue it. Bit more spring in the floating floor too.

It'll still be about maybe 18mm above the level of your screed depending on the thickness of the board obviously. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

I was in the same boat, listened to 2 chippies, one for glueing, one against. Then 3rd chippy, siad glue but also use the adhesive underlay. In the end I went for this. But time will tell !!!

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dfo3

Thanks for your replies.

Secman - is the idea of the adhesive underlay to prevent damp? Our house is about 20 yrs old so I don't think this will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

Might i suggest you go with a new(ish) floor...its called Multiply by some suppliers. I would recommend the 127mm wide board x 18mm thick and it comes in random lengths like a solid floor.You can nail it, glue it or float it and it is very stable. Due to the random lengths there is no way to tell the difference between it and solid floor when laid......and its eco friendly as it is an engineered floor with a top layer of solid oak (4/5mm) with a birch ply backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dfo3

Is that the same as semi-solid? I've seen it and it looks exactly like the solid wood. My only concern with it was that if the kids dropped something heavy on it the dent would go deeper than the solid surface and sanding wouldn't fix it up? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement