Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Defence Force

Options
  • 28-04-2008 4:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just got this game a while ago and think any fans of Earth Defence Force 2017 should take note and pick up this game immediately.

Global Defence Force is the 2nd game in the series and came out on the PS2 recently at a ridiculously low budget price. The nice guys at essential games have seen fit to give us a PAL release. Unfortunately you'll have to buy it online since I haven't seen it in any shops.

It may have come out before EDF 2017 and on an inferior console but it is the much better game. The reason for this is that the game is basically everything 2017 is but a whole lot more. The usually infantry man you control is still present with his arsenal of 100+ weapons to collect. However the really big difference is the inclusion of the character Pale Wing. Pale Wing is a female character with a jet pack and a host of crazy futuristic weaponry to do battle with the gigantic bugs. She is an absolute joy to control and the crazy weaponry she gets is great to experiment with. Playing through the game as her is like playing a completely different game and ramps up the replayability. Co-op mode is even better since you can play as a mix of infantry and pale wing. However the slowdown that is a 'trademark' of the series is even worse.

There are also a ream of enemies that turn up that never made it to 2017, the massive centipede boss being a real highlight (there's a great video on youtube of it). The environments are nowhere near as good looking as on the xbox 360 but make up for it with the variety offered. Many levels are set in london with landmarks like Big Ben and that giant ferris wheel thing all ready to be knocked down with a badly placed rocket. Other levels take place at night. The game, just like it's 360 sequel, struggles at times and the framerate can drop to a crawl but it kind of adds to it's low budget charm :) However now and again it will hit you with a jaw dropping moment. The draw distance, haze/depth of field effect and attempt at emulating HDR on the night levels are to be commended coming from such an underfunded small team.

The game isn't as scripted as 2017. Most levels dump you on your own in the environment and get you to take out everything in the level. There's no ally AI characters and it's lost the voice-overs which added to the cheesey fun. No chanting 'EDF! EDF! EDF!' with your troops this time unfortunately. The music is surprisingly high quality with a real over the top epic feel to it.

If there's one complaint it's that the game doesn't have a proper 60hz mode so it's black borders and slow gameplay unfortunately.

Anyway if there is anyone hankering after some more EDF dumb blasting action you can't do much better than this game. In my opinion is a far better game than it's sequel and for the price it's going for on play.com it's an absolute bargain.

Now all we need is some publisher to give Sandlot an actual budget and make the greatest game ever.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, bought this one myself a while ago on the PS2, quite a bit after the 360 version too.
    In fact the PAL edition of the PS2 game was due out in advance of the PAL 360 version but it was delayed, a lot!
    I bugged my local Gamestop about it for ages, eventually it turned up, very very late, but as said above, it feels better to play than the 360 edition.
    Unfortunately this one seems destined to be a hard to find title, although it'll probably be less expensive than the stamp to post it of bought online.

Edge, I know how fond you are of them Retro, have been banging on about this game and this developer for ages, they also make Tetsujin 28-Go which has you as a youngster remote controlling a giant robot, and you have to guide both around the battlefield, excellent, and it's sequel Remote Control Dandy SF.

Sandlot aim high and damn the frame drop!

The best giant killer UFOs and Robots in the business!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I went looking for this when it was released around town after Gamecentral kept on singing its praises. I liked EDF 2017, but the prospect of it with jetpacks seemed like one hell of a draw. Unfortunately, retailers seemed to send it straight into obscurity, and I forgot to order it online. Perhaps next time I'm ordering something from play I'll pick up a copy, if they still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ive heard great things about this but it isnt in any bricks and mortar shops. shame, it should be one of those 10 euro tesco games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I think play should have a few copies left, I only got mine 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know what GDF Tactics is like?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I know is that videogaiden gave it a very favourable review. Said it's great fun at the price as long as you turn off the battle animations which take forever to load.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I "got" a giant robot battle game, by sandlot, for the DS, not bad. The developer has real potential to be the next Treasure I reckon.

Advertisement