Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do thieves like fixies?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

I have a Lapierre which I love and spent 800 on. I never leave it anywhere except work (in a cage) and home. I'm scared it will be lifted if I leave it for a minute.

I am thinking about getting a cheaper runabout and was looking at the Charge Plug.
    I was just wondering do thieves walk off with fixies or do they go for flashier looking road/mountain bikes? Or do they just take anything that isn't nailed down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dub_skav wrote: »
    I have a Lapierre which I love and spent 800 on. I never leave it anywhere except work (in a cage) and home. I'm scared it will be lifted if I leave it for a minute.

I am thinking about getting a cheaper runabout and was looking at the Charge Plug.
    I was just wondering do thieves walk off with fixies or do they go for flashier looking road/mountain bikes? Or do they just take anything that isn't nailed down?

thieves take anything not locked down! buggies, bike, cars and once it can be liquidated fast !! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Don't think they look flashy enough for them - no disk brakes, no full sus, no gears.
    Then there's the problem that they probably can't ride them - well they probably can't ride them for more than 50 metres or so, till they discover they don't have brakes and the pedals keep on turning!

Or you could go to this extreme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'd be ill advised to buy a fixie that didn't have a front brake. The one the OP linked to has one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

dub_skav wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting a cheaper runabout and was looking at the Charge Plug

Nice bike.

Flashy bikes and ready opportunities is what a bike thief really wants. There has been a lot of speculation on here about the fact that thiefscangers can't get their heads around fixies. I'm not sure that theory will stand the test of time. Eventually, if there isn't already, demand for knock-off fixies will equal that of any other bike. There's no substitute for a good lock and a safe place.

But hell, buy the bike anyway, it's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Was so tempted by the Plug I nearly got one myself, only went for the Paddywagon in the end cos I needed a bike I could get from a shop asap (due to theft) -otherwise, I'd be on one right now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

...otherwise, I'd be on one right now! :)

posting whilst cycling? impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

niceonetom wrote: »
    posting whilst cycling? impressive.

That's just how smooth the plug is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

As far as I know fixed gears are being specifically targeted in London, especially ones with blinging components like Phil Wood hubs and Velocity Deep V rims.

Most of the fixed gears here are messengers bikes which tend to look a little worse for wear or old road bike conversions. If your bike looks unassuming and you have a good quality lock, you should be alright really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

fish-head wrote: »
    If your bike looks unassuming and you have a good quality lock, you should be alright really.

That's what I thought about the Plug, it doesn't look too flashy - no fancy parts unassuming paint job, might even be mistaken for a home conversion.

Even the likes of the langster might attract a bit more attention.

Reckon I'll look about a bit more and wait for the annual bonus to come in June then splash out on a new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye, get an old bike from a skip/friend and convert it. Try not to spend too much effort on the conversion, or you will come to love your bike, somewhat defeating the point of the exercise.

I didn't spend very much on my conversion, but I would be heartbroken to find it gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Advertisement