Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have any experience with Eircom Business Broadband?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Im with UTV and i can only ever synch on 64kbit upload even though i can get 3Mbit upload and it effectively makes my broadband useless bar web surfing and downloading files( which if i do i can no longer surf as it prevents me uploading requests for web addresses ). Eircon flat refuse to send an engineer out( i get 1000+ framing errors and what not from the switch on adsl synch ) and are now rejecting any cases on my line from utv, utv have said theres absolutely nothing they can do( its definately a switch/line issue ), the odd rare time i can get 384kbit upload

Anyways heres my question: Eircon have said that they guarantee upload and download speeds for their business broadband so im thinking that should fix my broadband if i take that option, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Also do you need a VAT #?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Anyways heres my question: Eircon have said that they guarantee upload and download speeds for their business broadband so im thinking that should fix my broadband if i take that option, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Also do you need a VAT #?

Thanks,
    Eircom usually would take care of business customers better but guaranteeing better upload speeds than you have now is certainly not possible. There are possible reasons why your upload is so slow like distance from the exchange that Eircom certainly can't change. It sounds like the usual salesperson spin. Ask them, if they are guaranteeing better upload speeds for you can you have it in writing before signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Eircom usually would take care of business customers better but guaranteeing better upload speeds than you have now is certainly not possible. There are possible reasons why your upload is so slow like distance from the exchange that Eircom certainly can't change. It sounds like the usual salesperson spin. Ask them, if they are guaranteeing better upload speeds for you can you have it in writing before signing up.
    cheers, dont worry, id definately want it in writing rather that usual sales crap especially as ill have to pay 60euro to cancel UTV.

Nah, ive been through the whole thing with utv( 10+ cases open with Eircom and they deny anythings wrong ), im less than 2 miles from the exchange, the exchanges DSLAM keeps insisting on giving me a crap upload speed 99% of the time( i have pages upon pages of logs/3 different routers tested, several phone cables/several PC's ). My local and remote SNR is 6/7 when i get 64kbit upload and 16 whenever it will synch on a 384kbit upload. Its a new line that Eircon installed in January to a new estate

The only reason im considering a business package is to get f***ing eircon to get the finger out and actually investigate the problem, only alternative is to move house in which case the situation in a new place could even be worse. The whole thing is a fiasco, a complete consumer joke. Fact is i need a balanced broadband for work amongst other things

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The issue is simple, if your DSL doesn't sync at a higher speed, than Eircom will just put it down to being rate adaptive and you don't get any futher with it.

I doubt, they'll be spending much work/money on the line, if it's down to line quality. And it's going to be the same DSLAM, probably same port, that you'd be hanging on.

/Martin

Marlow wrote: »
    The issue is simple, if your DSL doesn't sync at a higher speed, than Eircom will just put it down to being rate adaptive and you don't get any futher with it.

I doubt, they'll be spending much work/money on the line, if it's down to line quality. And it's going to be the same DSLAM, probably same port, that you'd be hanging on.

/Martin
    Cheers for that, looks like a move for me in August for the sake of an extra 40kb upload per second, this country is nuts

I thought you'd get a different DSLAM depending on which is free? cos 1% of the time i get perfect 384kb/s upload with SNR margins of 15-16( and i can hold onto it for a week until router is reset/adsl synch starts )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I thought you'd get a different DSLAM depending on which is free? cos 1% of the time i get perfect 384kb/s upload with SNR margins of 15-16( and i can hold onto it for a week until router is reset/adsl synch starts )

The DSLAM is not the issue, the only improvement might be, if you end up on ADSL2+ equipment and that's still a maybe.

The issue is your phoneline and that's gonna physically stay the same.

As for your current DSL, it's bitstream, so it's hanging of the Eircom DSLAM. If it doesn't do better now, it most likely won't do better if you change.

/Martin

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    The DSLAM is not the issue, the only improvement might be, if you end up on ADSL2+ equipment and that's still a maybe.

The issue is your phoneline and that's gonna physically stay the same.

As for your current DSL, it's bitstream, so it's hanging of the Eircom DSLAM. If it doesn't do better now, it most likely won't do better if you change.

/Martin
    cheers, we'll look into moving again

Advertisement