Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Be Aloud?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I was much younger than 14 when I first played gta, I dont see any problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

If thats the case why not let a 14yr old into an 18's movie.

That's a good point. Why not? Humans used to use fiction as a way of educating children about the world, and particularly the dangers in the world, and how the right way to behave and doing the right thing would help you survive. Traditionally this was done with fairytales, but the same thing can be done with books, movies, games - anything that uses narrative. Unfortunately, the trend now seems to be to shield children from the reality of the dangers in the world means that's not really acceptable. We still tell fairytales, but those stories reflect a different time and the dangers have changed. The result is that more and more kids are behaving badly and without any moral compass. Mario Kart indeed.

Also I don't believe for a second that 14 year olds cannot discern between fantasy and reality. Not for a second. I think any 'normal' 7 year old knows the difference, and knows the difference between right and wrong. 14 year olds are well past developing the understanding that the things they do affect others, and that the things they do in computer games are not things they can do in the real world. The OP comes across as a sensible intelligent young person, and while alcohol would scar his liver, I would seriously doubt that GTA IV will damage his mind (and certainly not physically scar his brain).

In answer to the OP's question, I don't know. I can't answer your question until I play the game and finish it. It may be morally bankrupt, but I doubt it - I'd say it will follow familiar conventions, hopefully with some good twists, and those who deserve their cummupence will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgiemcgrane

gd1987 wrote: »
    I was much younger than 14 when I first played gta, I dont see any problems!

Thats why its not up to you. It feels like im fighting on the wrong side here, I dont want to give the impression im against gta4 - I have mine prebooked and i'll be picking it up tomorrow on my way home from work (if I get it tonight or tomorrow morn i prob wouldnt make it to work) Im just glad that the retailers seem tobe the ones showing sense here, im sure they'd love to sell it to everyone (more sales) but they are not allowed to, its 18's and with good reason. Did anyone watch that "ladies of liberty city" clip on IGN, watch that and then tell me its suitable for a 14 yr old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a difference between the first GTA game and what GTA has become.

I don't remember murdering hookers being allowed in GTA I.

Anyway - the great thing about being older is that we get to give teenagers stick about things so..... NO! No you shouldn't be allowed play. Don't worry it's only another 4 years. Not that long at all.

Muuwawwwwaaaaahhhhaaaaaaa! :D

F-Stop wrote: »
    Also I don't believe for a second that 14 year olds cannot discern between fantasy and reality. Not for a second. I think any 'normal' 7 year old knows the difference, and knows the difference between right and wrong. 14 year olds are well past developing the understanding that the things they do affect others, and that the things they do in computer games are not things they can do in the real world.

The difference between right and wrong develops from 3yrs old and up, and yes by 14 thats well instilled, BUT its not that the direct result of playing a game means the OP will go out an do wrong, but what happens is a 14yr old becomes de-sensitised to the type of content that is presented at an age which is higly impressionable, and at a sub concious level their inherent morals and ideas can become affected. This is what is being protected, and its the responsability of any adult to ensure a 14yr old operates within a suitable enviroment while they are in their charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Fourteen? Are you kidding me? I had finished my junior cert by age fourteen. I honestly haven't changed much since then. Fecking hell, your mum shouldn't even be telling you what to do at that age.

Fourteen is clearly old enough for violent video games, if you ask me. I would have a problem with ages eight to twelve, say, but not fourteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fremen wrote: »
    Fourteen? Fourteen is clearly old enough for violent video games, if you ask me. I would have a problem with ages eight to twelve, say, but not fourteen.

So anybody under 8 playing this game would be fine with you???
    MONSTER!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The difference between right and wrong develops from 3yrs old and up, and yes by 14 thats well instilled, BUT its not that the direct result of playing a game means the OP will go out an do wrong, but what happens is a 14yr old becomes de-sensitised to the type of content that is presented at an age which is higly impressionable, and at a sub concious level their inherent morals and ideas can become affected. This is what is being protected, and its the responsability of any adult to ensure a 14yr old operates within a suitable enviroment while they are in their charge.

What are you on... He's 14, he's probably jacking off in his bedroom right now. Do you not remember what it was like being 14? I got GTA 3 when I was in 2nd year, and had played all the previous versions. Don't worry, you wont become an axe murderer and end up marry prostitutes.

Some of the **** you see on tv these days is just as bad as anything you would encounter in a game. Slowly desensitizing because of a video game is nonsense.

tman wrote: »
    So anybody under 8 playing this game would be fine with you???
    MONSTER!

Yep, that would also be fine. Seven-year-olds are massive deviants anyway, it's not like they'd be learning anything new.

My mother was over at my house a few weeks ago. I'd been playing Forza before they arrived using the steering wheel. I'm trying to work out which is worse. Me having my mother ask me if my childhood was deprived because I likes to play games, or a 14 year old whose childhood is being deprived because his mother probably doesn't want him to turn into a 30 year old with a toy steering wheel connected to his TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

if there wasnt any age restrictions, there wouldnt be any GTA. yes, laws are made to be broken but they are there for a reason. by some folks reasoning, 14 years olds should be allowed to see things like Hostel and nine songs in the cinema, something that definitely shouldnt happen!!!

Op sounds like a very reasonable, mature young man(maybe too reasonable actually, i know i was out to drink and to score with as many girls as possible when i was 14!) and gta4 wouldnt make him any better or worse a person. but come on, not every 14 year old is mature or developed mentally,emotionally or indeed physicially. the line has to be drawn somewhere. if i could, id change it to 16 maximum age rating for games unless its really horrific!

If I had a 14 year old son or daughter I'd let them watch Hostel (I and II) because I don't believe it desensitizes you to awfulness. No matter how many crap films I see it remains one of the crappest. I do get your point corgaigh07 but Hostel is just shock gorno - I don't think it would destroy the mind of a 14 year old unless for some reason they thought that the smug vacuous conceited direction by Eli Roth was cool. When I was young Evil Dead 2 was on the list of Video Nasties. I saw it when I was 13 - it's a comedy with some really good shock moments. We had a laugh and then we watched the Shining. Eerie fact: none of the people who watched those movies that day murdered their family in an isolated hotel or became possessed by ancient demons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well there was an interview with some hardcore fan of horror movies in which they said that studies showed that people can tell the difference between horror movies and real life!

In the study they showed some random clips of violence and murder, some real, some movies/faked and the people automatically got scared by the real violence even though they weren't told it was real because it was clear the person wasn't acting.

Are people really saying people can't distinguise a bunch of graphics from the real world? That's just stupid, the graphics are good but they aren't that bloody good. It is clearly not real which is enough for most people not to associate it with real life.

There are some people under 18 that shouldn't play this game and there are some people over 18 with psycological problems that shouldn't play this game. Its all about the person and not the age IMHO and its up to the parent or the individual to decide if they should play the game. If it does have severely negative consequences, they'll have to accept the responsibility for them, whatever they may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it probably the supposed sex in it that she worried about, even though there **** in any of the gta games, look at all the other games he's playing, just as bad but less famous...,you could say there are less realworld but none of us live in anything like in 80's gangsters new york? the mother is totally inconsistent. but not entirely wrong.
    does he listen too hiphop too omigod!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

this was a stupid idea. I should have gone to a better forum

By better, you mean one that'll tell you exactly what you want to hear? I figure the ratings are a guide- different people mature at different rates. But if the above is an indication of your level of maturity, then my vote is no.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Some of the **** you see on tv these days is just as bad as anything you would encounter in a game. Slowly desensitizing because of a video game is nonsense.

Thats your opinion but using TV as an example also goes to prove my point further, thats why there is a watershead before which time TV shows are suitable for the audience, stuff like the Sopranos was NEVER on before 9pm and mostly only came on at 10pm. Plus you can call my point nonsense if you want but I didnt say "slowly Desensitising" because of a video game, I pointed out that the effects are much more subtle than simply desensitising, I also made reference to a 14yr old typically being at an age which is much more impressionable and more easily influenced by their enviroment. If a 14yr old had a TV and video in their bedroom and can watch what they want at whatever time they want then thats just bad pairents, same as a mother or father giving a child (cause at the end of the day were talking about children, albeit young teenagers - still children) an unsuitable game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

F-Stop wrote: »
    My mother was over at my house a few weeks ago. I'd been playing Forza before they arrived using the steering wheel. I'm trying to work out which is worse. Me having my mother ask me if my childhood was deprived because I likes to play games, or a 14 year old whose childhood is being deprived because his mother probably doesn't want him to turn into a 30 year old with a toy steering wheel connected to his TV?

:D Brilliant post

brim4brim wrote: »
    There are some people under 18 that shouldn't play this game and there are some people over 18 with psycological problems that shouldn't play this game. Its all about the person and not the age IMHO and its up to the parent or the individual to decide if they should play the game. If it does have severely negative consequences, they'll have to accept the responsibility for them, whatever they may be.
    Which is why the game is rated 18's - it allows Rockstar to make the game they want, understanding that there is a massive market for games within the generation > 18 yr olds and also removes the burden of responsability from them if it falls into the hands of an audience for which its not intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

no offenece but ur mother is a gimp , growing up i played any game dat was 18 , why do parents have to ruin everything by this young fella da game come on !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

Just spend all of your time at one of your friends houses surely one of them will have it!!

• Advertisement

Chubb76 wrote: »
    dat

Repeat after me.

That.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

sorry didn't realise i was back in school!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

As a 25 year old who works with kids I would definetly let you get GTA.

Any of the kids whose parents don't let them play 18's games or watch 18's films and are generally quite restrictive - they don't seem to develop socially at the same rate. Dont get the in-jokes, cultural references, i.e. turn into gaylords

If it was my kid I would definetly get him the game if he wanted it, for fear of him turning into a social retard.

edit:

However only if its your birthday or you have the money from your confirmation or something, not just because you want it, kids are way too spoilt these days - the sun is shining, go out and play ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tails142 wrote: »

Any of the kids whose parents don't let them play 18's games or watch 18's films and are generally quite restrictive - they don't seem to develop socially at the same rate. Dont get the in-jokes, cultural references, i.e. turn into gaylords

If it was my kid I would definetly get him the game if he wanted it, for fear of him turning into a social retard.

edit:

However only if its your birthday or you have the money from your confirmation or something, not just because you want it, kids are way too spoilt these days - the sun is shining, go out and play ball

But it burns! :eek: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Get up those stairs you little bollix and i dont want to hear a nother peep out of you!! The answer is no! Kids these days!!!!!!!!:D

I heard that alot in my younger days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ireallywantgta4

By better, you mean one that'll tell you exactly what you want to hear?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ireallywantgta4

Boots09 wrote: »
    Just spend all of your time at one of your friends houses surely one of them will have it!!

They all do. I want to get permission first. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A) Your a Mammys Boy.
    B) I Cant even get an XBox until the Revenue Commissioners Pay me Back so Feck off you.
    C) I cant get the Game til then Either.

On the Upside I am 18 so I can Legally drink and buy this game. Youngsters Suck.

Oh I would also like to add I have been playing these games for years and while my friends might disagree I am a perfectly Normal well adjusted hitman.

I dont think you should be allowed to play it but I think yore ma should buy it for you to tease ya!!!

poor kids that you work with !:confused: - I think what you mean is their parents are quite responsable. You shouldnt be allowed near kids with that attitude. disgrace !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

edit:

for some one who works with kids your own use of language is extremely immature. I hope you dont happen to work with any kis who may be wondering if theyre gay.. or "gaylords".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement