Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Be Aloud?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭atat23

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgiemcgrane

brim4brim wrote: »
    So your saying all laws should be obeyed? Because we have plenty of laws that aren't obeyed/enforced with no negative impact on society. There are plenty of idiotic laws too.

Why are retailers selling games to under 18's? Its probably because its quite obvious to everyone that it does no harm :eek: I think most sensible people are aware that pixels don't kill people, people kill people and that your average horror movie contains more graphic violence than GTA given GTA looks like a cartoon at best and is obviously a bunch of rendered pixels Versus people acting out crimes in a movie, sometimes renacting events that have actually occurred :eek: I'm sorry but I don't really think there much in GTA that you won't see in Sex and the City and Terminator 3, one year younger than the OP if I'm correct so maybe he should wait until his next birthday?

I'm sorry but there have always been BS laws, just because its the law doesn't mean it should be obeyed. Ask anyone that drank when they were 17 if they have had serious health problems because they started drinking so young!

I posted my argument earlier on why games don't affect most people and by wrongly saying it is age that determines if someone should play a game or not, the government helps nobody. The people that should not play GTA are people that have problems separating games and movies from the real world. Quite simply there are people of all ages that suffer from such conditions. I firmly believe that the censor system should be enforced so a parent has to buy the game for the child and that it is up to the parent to determine if the child is responsible enough and level headed enough to play the game but I don't believe no person under 18 should play this game. After 18, its up to the person to determine if they should play the game or not and they should accept the responsibility of their own actions at this point. In no way do I support a ban on video games or any content that can be place in computer games. It is up to the consumer to decide if they wish to expose themselves to the content in these games and the parent in the case of a child under 18.

So you basically admit that in certain situations that the censoring shouldn't be enforced or should be lowered. This is like with like, if anything exposing a child to real life violence is worse than exposing them to recreated violence. I'd argue real life violence is a lot worse than recreated violence but you wouldn't agree with this? I think its much more likely to fook up a child and the research I have read about exposure to violence backs me up on this one. If anything kids should not be allowed watch violent news as its much more likely to negatively affect their development.

Sorry chief - are you upside down or do you always talk out of the wrong hole ! - Sorry but theres just too much crap in what you wrote for me to even start in trying to pick it apart. Im done on this subject, said my piece and im happy with that. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Then u have no right to contributeto the argument - another example of ignorance, not an excuse !
    Oh what a big man you are! Anyway, no I don't think you should be allowed. The certificate is there for obeying.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

i was 8 when i got the first gta. got my mother to buy it for me by holding my thumb over the 18 cert. ive turned out normal so yea get it kid:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

i was 8 when i got the first gta. got my mother to buy it for me by holding my thumb over the 18 cert. ive turned out normal so yea get it kid:D

Cause this game looks/plays & shows things exactly like the original GTA's :rolleyes:

And of course we all remember going to a strip club, getting a dance, then going outside, picking up a hooker, getting an act of a sexual nature performed on us, then getting out of the car and shooting her in the head with decent realism and robbing her money, in the original GTA's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You see, it all depends on what you do. You don't have to pick up a hooker after skullin' a few pints, fùck her, then shoot her to get your money back. It's all a matter of option, but the fact it has this content in this game it's certed on higher restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Just get someone to buy it for you, dump the box, play the game and tell her its an advanced version of the Sims... simple.
    I played GTA from an early age, dont agree with people claiming 15 is such a step up from 14 etc.. as someone else quoted age is just a number.. at the end of the day it is only a game.

If you want it that bad GET IT!

If you find this, that guys mum! Give him the damn game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I think its funny that its not good enough for you to make a point or argument from the other side of the fense without attacking me as part of your argument, calling me a hypocrite has no bearing on this discussion and Im not willing to bring in my personal experience as part of my argument, I can form and project an opinion without making it personal.
    I wasnt trying to attack you, but I must point out you that you called another poster here "ignorant" and from what I've read here it seems your latest post you just ignore the posters arugment and insult him instead. Nice. So don't take that high horse.

Anyway, your saying violence in video games effect kids negativity, I disagree and think some parents are TOTALLY off the wall to be worried about the violence in games when its other issues they should be worried about like addictiveness and the amount of time spent in a game. Parents should be worried about the 14 year olds who spend all their time playing WOW and not making any RL friends and such. This can have a huge baring on their personality development and social skills.

But no, instead too many jump on the feckin band wagon of GTA4 which, come on all seriousness, is NOT that much more, if even at all, more violent then your standard war game FPS and so on.

Don1 wrote: »
    Just a little aside. I'm 25 now and have been playing violent games and watchin films countaining blood/gore etc for years. Although I don't go around stealing cars and beating the stuffing out of people I have noticed that I am very desensitised to violence/tragedy etc.
    It takes something really nasty to make me flinch now and I know in my heart that that's not just growing up, its exposure related.
    GTA for 14 is a bit much imo as a result, particularly GTA IV in all its next gen glory. GTA I and II are a different category of game too. When we were playing "violent over 18s" games at a young age the graphics etc. were nowhere near real and were less offensive than Itchy & Scratchy tbh.

Are you saying here that as a result you are less sensitive to violence on TV and violence in video games? If so, then, so what? My parents watched Alien 3 and were scared ****less by it I saw it as a so so science fiction movie, and this was probably before I was a teenager.

I know damn well as kids my parents would be laughing at the movies that scared my grandparents, and so forth.

& do you think if my parents saw Alien 3 now they'd be just as scared as they were before? NO, because of all the movies they would have seen since.

Or are you saying you are less sensitive to violence in REAL LIFE

if so, I think your bull****ting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Why is this thread still open! Question was asked got a majority answer of NO! So leave it,your not 18,deal with it!

There's way too many pointless threads running at the moment about GTA taking up space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I remember when vice city came out I was refused, so got my mammy to go in and buy it for me :D
    You see, my parents know I am not likely to become a drink driving, hooker killing machine just by playing a game.

Now, where did I leave that bottle of vodka, car keys and that hooker...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kmart6 wrote: »
    Why is this thread still open! Question was asked got a majority answer of NO! So leave it,your not 18,deal with it!

There's way too many pointless threads running at the moment about GTA taking up space!

Its the gta forum! :eek:

Why enter a gta thread if you don't want to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Considering the previous gta titles this is the one that probably deserves the 18 rating the most.

It's more violent and more realistic.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Its the gta forum! :eek:

Why enter a gta thread if you don't want to? :confused:
    Where did I say in my post that I didn't want to?!? Read it before you comment next time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kmart6 wrote: »
    Where did I say in my post that I didn't want to?!? Read it before you comment next time!!!

:rolleyes: I did read your pointless post. You say there are way too many pointless threads in the GTA forum.

This is a thread about GTA, where would you suggest he post it?

Whether a thread is pointless or not is really a matter of opinion. You don't have the right to determine what threads should be posted or not or when they should be closed or not. If you don't think its a worthwhile thread, don't enter it, its that simple. Really what was the point of your post other than to vent that you didn't like the thread?

You ask why the thread is still open! Are you saying other people shouldn't be allowed comment if they are only reading the thread now? The topic is still bein discussed. People are discussing whether under 18's should be allowed play the game which is really what the thread is about given the OP is under 18 so its still on topic and being discussed.

I find it strange that you go on about pointless threads when you made an entirely pointless post in a thread that was completely off topic and basically spam IMO.

It was a worthwhile thread in the beginning,although it could be argued that it wasn't,and was just a troll,at the end of the day it was a stupid Q,you can see from the OP's reaction that s/he didn't want the answer they were getting here,what kind of answer was he going to get when he's 14 and the game is 18+!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

jesus. i've been away in cork for a few days and all hell's broken loose :)

this thread has run its course anyway...

to answer the OP's question: no. you're 14. it says 18 on the box. you already knew the answer to the question...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement