Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CA results.

Options
  • 28-04-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Quick question, I have passed one of the modules in my course by CA exams alone. Does this mean I technically don't have to sit the final exam?.

I would imagine sitting the exam is a good idea to increase the overall score If i run into potential issues with other subjects.
    My gut tells me to stop being a lazy bastard and attend the exam.
    However, this is offset by the possibility of more study time.

Opinions?. What should I do:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all you have to do is get 40% of the total mark for a module and you've passed.

if somehow you got a CA that was worth 40% of total CA (i think i know what module btw :D) and got full marks in it then yes you don't have to sit the exam.

but you might as well because > 80% scores come in handy when it comes to handing in a CV for college work placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not neccesarily true. In some modules trhere is thresh holding where you have to pass both exams and CA to pass the year. This depends on the lecturer and should be stated in the course document.

Also it is a good idea to sit the exam because if you need to pass by compensation in another subject it will help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

If points were being awarded I think 68 lost souls would get a perfect 10. The Programme document (should be available in the library) dictates how the course and modules are laid out. Each module can have different requirements and some may require a minimum mark in an examination in order to obtain a pass - never assume one module is the same as another!

Check your programme document to see what the pass requirements of the module are.

That said it's never a good idea to skip an exam. It will effect your grades for the year (and could ultimately effect your final grade), will have an impact on your elligibility for the likes of PAss by Compensation and will generally annoy lecturers and the exams office who may have to chase you to ensure you've not been abducted by aliens. Sit the exam, if only to avoid incurring the wrath of the examinations office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

All my modules from 1st to 4th year were structured like:

20% minimum required in CA's
    40% minimum required in exams

So be careful..! Even if you got 100% of the CA's mark, you can still fail the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As others have said there may be thresholds on the CA components. Some courses have thresholds of 50% so you'll need to check the programme documentation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Threads like this are so stupid. Was it really necessary to start a thread about this? You could have just looked up the course documentation.

Yes of course you sit the exam. It could effect your final degree grade if your average in final year is lower than in a previous year.

Im guessing your in first or second year because when you get to final year youll NEVER be in a position like that, and if you were, youll be mature enough not to skip an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I checked the course document and apparently a minimum of 40% overall is required with or without the CA marks, minus the programming module which has a minimum of 50% in the CA, and 40% in the exam. Form what has been echoed above, I will just sit the exam.

Advertisement