Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA/RAC car checks in UK

Options
  • 28-04-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about going to the UK soon to buy a GT TDI golf. Although I have a fair understanding of cars I obviously would want to get it checked. I have read up about the AA and RAC checks but am unsure of few things.

1. How far in advance must it be booked
    2. Do they go and look at cars from private sellers?
    3. How long does it take for the run through they do, can it be done beforehand if the car is from a garage and if it's all clear can u then travel over to purchase it?
    4. Do they check cars on weekends, if not are there any other businesses that do the same thing

If anyone has had any experience with using these car checks could they enlighten me somehow as I'm not sure if it's what I should be doing?!

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going to the UK soon to buy a GT TDI golf. Although I have a fair understanding of cars I obviously would want to get it checked. I have read up about the AA and RAC checks but am unsure of few things.

1. How far in advance must it be booked
    2. Do they go and look at cars from private sellers?
    3. How long does it take for the run through they do, can it be done beforehand if the car is from a garage and if it's all clear can u then travel over to purchase it?
    4. Do they check cars on weekends, if not are there any other businesses that do the same thing

If anyone has had any experience with using these car checks could they enlighten me somehow as I'm not sure if it's what I should be doing?!

Cheers!!

I got the Essentials check done by the RAC in October last year, the check was ok they did an inspection on the vehicle and took it for a test drive checked the history and did a independant HPI check. The report was ok,. It gave details about thread dept of all 5 tyres as well as a textual description about the car. In the description it gave details about the brake pads, interior condition and condition of the outside of the vehicle. One thing I did find about them was they put down unable to verify the condition of the exhaust this is basically to cover their own ass i suppose in the event it was rotten (as they use salt in the UK).

When I brought the car back to ireland. I got my own mechanic to look at it on a Ramp for a more detailed inspection of the underside. He found that the c.v gaters were a bit worn and I replaced these. Other than that it was grand.

Think the timeframe is 3 working days, I dont think they work on the weekend. yes they do look at cars from private sellers but you must obtain permission from the garage or seller prior to booking the check. As far as im aware the check takes less than an hour.

BTW to was thinking for buying the GT TDI 140bhp but heard from a couple of mechanics that they eat gearboxes. Too much torque in the engine....

Advertisement