Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whos best??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

??? where are you based? I don't knnow if a reader would appreciate someone coming to him/her as a "test" because the receptivness of the person getting the reading has a lot to do with how much info you pick up. I know you're going to brush that off and say "so in other words, unless I believe, it wont work!" but thats not really what I mean. For most psychics, healers etc, the persons privacy is of huge importance, so, if on a higher level you don't want to hear something, you simply wont, because the info wont come through. You're entitled to your privacy and if you want to maintain that (for whatever reason) a reader wont be able to get through it. I'm not explaining this very well, perhaps a reader or psychic can better explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Dublin. I will go in totally with an open mind. Now as I said I have a good knowledge of cold reading so I will block that but other than that I not go in with any prejudice. Hell I'll even tape record it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I know what you mean Helena but I'm not sure if can explain it any better :). It's like some people, even if they are eager, have almost a shell around them. It's actually a bit like when you're talking to someone and while they seem to be engaging in the conversation, at the same time you know that they're not really interested or they're distracted by something else, you can just feel it. And you can go through the motions with them and discuss the weather or football results, but you're not going to have much of a deep and meaningfull chat with them.

??? if you're going to try this, and I'd suggest that you do (the only way to learn about these things is to try them out for yourself), I'd recommend that you practise meditation first, and visualising your energy around you and opening it up. There's various posts on this forum and the spirituality one suggesting ways of doing this, I'll try and find links. With only a little practice you should be able to feel this happen, whether you believe it's anything real or just your own imagination, and you'll be able to repeat it at will. If nothing else it helps to focus and relax, but personally I believe it helps with getting readings too.

Also, I'd suggest you honest with the reader, maybe not call it a "test", most people don't like tests :), but say that you are there because you are curious to see if there's anything to it.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'd recommend that you practise meditation first, and visualising your energy around you and opening it up.

Said it before and I'll say it again! Energy is the ability for something to do work. It is a measureable scalar quantity that's unit is the Joule. It is not some mystic undetectable thing. It is very detectable. So what on earth are you talking about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You're looking at it from too much of a mathematical perspective :). Energy isn't just a factor in equations, it's also something real and tangible. Electricity running through wires is composed of very real electrons. Electrons, protons and neutrons are all energy and combine to form the matter that make up everything we see and feel. Light from the sun is composed of photons. Plants through photosynthesis convert that into chemical energy and in turn produce the oxygen we breathe. Even the protons falling on our own skin react and produce vitamins and give us more energy.

It is quite a leap to accept there being an energy field of an unknown type around us. So if that's too much then just concentrate on the tangibles. Our bodies produce our own electric currents which flows through our muscles and nervous systems, we produce our own small but detectable electro-magnetic fields around us, and the light around us interacts with us, reflecting off of us, being absorbed and warming us. Try visualising these energies within you first, and then those around you. Try imagining that you can sense them, and then that you can interact with them and control them, and finally that you can allow others to interact with them too. Personally I think that if you can manage to feel that, whether you believe it's anything supernatural or all just in your head, it will help with any reading you go for.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    You're looking at it from too much of a mathematical perspective :). Energy isn't just a factor in equations, it's also something real and tangible. Electricity running through wires is composed of very real electrons. Electrons, protons and neutrons are all energy and combine to form the matter that make up everything we see and feel. Light from the sun is composed of photons. Plants through photosynthesis convert that into chemical energy and in turn produce the oxygen we breathe. Even the protons falling on our own skin react and produce vitamins and give us more energy.

Your a little off there! Electrons, protons and neutrons are matter. They are real physical particles. They hafve the potential to be converted into energy as all matter does (e=mc2) and will almost always have energy whether it be potential, kinetic or otherwise. Light and photons are a little trickier. Do you really want me to go into the dual nature of light? Basically a photon is an elementry particle that carries electromagnetic radiation but it is a particle not energy. Energy is a scalar quantity. It is just a number. I never said it isn't detectable, it's very detectable which is why we don't have 'energy fields'.

It is quite a leap to accept there being an energy field of an unknown type around us. So if that's too much then just concentrate on the tangibles. Our bodies produce our own electric currents which flows through our muscles and nervous systems, we produce our own small but detectable electro-magnetic fields around us, and the light around us interacts with us, reflecting off of us, being absorbed and warming us. Try visualising these energies within you first, and then those around you. Try imagining that you can sense them, and then that you can interact with them and control them, and finally that you can allow others to interact with them too. Personally I think that if you can manage to feel that, whether you believe it's anything supernatural or all just in your head, it will help with any reading you go for.

While we do have a very very slight electromagneticfield around us it is so small as to be utterly insignificant, otherwise we'd act like magnets! This field does not interact with the light though, the matter in your body does. Also an electromagnetic fied isn't energy. It is one of the four fundamental forces of the universe.

I am totally at a loss as to what you are trying to get me to do and to what purpose it serves.

??? you should have a reiki session :) I know a fair few people who fobbed the whole energy thing off as rubbish, but could feel it during a session. (there may be other practises which do this, but seeing as how reiki is my area of knowledge I'll recommend that) Now just because you feel something doesn't mean you MUST believe it's energy from an unkown source. But it might open you up to the idea that we simply don't know enough to just disregard something when so many other people claim to see, feel, interact and manipulate it.

Hahahahaha you're joking right? Reiki is down to the placebo effect, the warmth something to do with warm hands and your expectation of feeling something. Someone tried it on me before and what did I feel? Nothing!!!
    But it might open you up to the idea that we simply don't know enough to just disregard something when so many other people claim to see, feel, interact and manipulate it.

That is a text book example of an argument from popularity. If something is popular it doesn't mean it's right! The Greek and Roman gods had a bit of a fanbase, now if you claim to worship Appollo you're laughed at! Much more important is prior plausability and the prior plausability of reiki is... you guessed it zero. There is no suggested mechanism, that obeys real laws of physics. That is much more important for a SCAM (Supplementary, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine) system to justify research.

I'm not trying to ridicule your beliefs here. Maybe it works for you in an entirely subjective way, but objectivley reiki just doesn't hold water.

I know you're not ridiculing - although if I did, I think I could be forgiven since your post started with
    Hahahahaha you're joking right?

You are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion (although the hahaha bit was a small bit rude imo). I can't convince you, and I'm not really up to trying to. There are plenty of people here who would be much better at putting their thoughts into words. I'll just get muddled and frustrated :o

Just a few points though, to claim to feel heat from someones hands when they are a foot from your body is as silly sounding to me as the concept of reiki obviously is to you. By saying someone tried it on me once, do you mean you tried a session? If not the try it before you discount it.

Sorry, just adding - I know what you are saying about something being popular - but you are talking about ideas etc, not physical feelings. How can you say to someone "Oh you only felt that touch because it's popular"?

I also have loads of little experiences that I could tell you, but there is not much point at all I am is a stranger on the other side of a computer so I wouldn't in a million years expect you to believe that A)I'm telling the truth, or if I am that B) I'm not some nutjob :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Someone claiming to feel heat form a hand a foot away is not that far fetched.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect
    They just add a little http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_validation
    And finish with a lashing of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
    Bam you got reiki! (and pretty much any alternative medicine)
    The mind's most amazing ability is it's ability to fool itself.
    There is a reason anecdotal is never used in scientific inquiry.

Also at ???
    Supplementary, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine :D nice.

• Advertisement

"Oh you only felt that touch because it's popular"?
    No you feel the touch because you expect to feel the touch! You expect to feel the touch because everyone else does. There's that important extra step.
    Supplementary, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine nice.
    Thank you QuackCast!!! Give it a listen it's very good. Just search for it in the podcasts in iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Enery from reiki is not always heat. In healings in the past myself, there have been times where it has felt cold. People's bodies absorb the energy differently, and at different times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bruno2017

Natasha Bracken in Ballycumber Co Offaly? Anyone have contact details or been

Advertisement