Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Colpe Exchange

Options
  • 28-04-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi Lads, I have a terrible problems lately with broadband speed. just a while ago it gave me 600Kbs when it should be 5 times this at least :/ I noticed that line attenuation dropped from 16/8 dB to 63/8 dB. Connection is interrupted often, wireless is not working at all (and it did work for the last 9 months without a problem) or connecting to the router, but I can't open any website, seems like too many packets are lost (wifi quality decrease???). Anybody has the same problems?

Update. strangely, speedtest shows me:

265013471.png

but web browsing is still a nightmare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Have you put anything new on the line lately? Sky boxes, new phones, new filters etc? Its definitely not a problem with the exchange and rather a problem with your line if your line has went from 16/8 dB to 63/8 dB. If possible try plugging everything connected to your phoneline out and connecting the router to the main phone socket coming into the house and see what your stats are like from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

ok, I unplugged everything (there was nothing added recently), still the same. called support, they suggested it's the problem with my mac and to contact apple... any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Whoever told you that in eircom is a stupid bo***x.

As it stands, the reason why your attenuation is at 63 is because the modem can't read any higher attenuation values, so it stays stuck at that value.

I have 2 ideas on the problem. Firstly, did you try unplugging everything and connecting the modem to the master socket with just a 2 metre cord and no filter? A dodgy filter might cause this.

I think the more likely problem is a faulty modem. See if you can find some way to borrow any old DSL modem for a few minutes off a neighbour, friend or relative. Put in the same settings as on your current one (probably not even necessary) and post up what the attenuation and signal margin values are.

Advertisement