Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Laptop Wireless setup help Please.

• 28-04-2008 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I have just purchased a HP Pavilion 6840 laptop wireless enabled.
    I have a Netophia 2247NWG Wireless router. This is one of the Eircom ones.
    It was in the box never opened for past year or more.
    Sent out by Eircom who were then unable to supply DSL at my daughters home and never retreived.
    I am with BT and followed the advice posted hand no problem changing the passwords and gaining access to my normal wired BT DSL connection.
    to the desktop. This wired connection is working fine.
    However when I try to connect Laptop via wireless I can see
    ...Eircom 2731 ???? Security-enabled network .... very strong signal.
    When I select that it asks for Security Key of passphrase.
    I have no idea of what this is as I did not set up one at any time.

I presume Eircom 2731 ???? is my router as that is the number shown under the expert mode in the route configuration. ????

Any advice on this setup problem.

The number Eircom 2731 ???? is coded for purpose of this posting.
    I can see this one with a very strong signal and one other with a very weak signal which must be external.

Can anyone advise me on how to get around this problem. ??

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The security key is setup on the netopia router.

You'll have to access the router and under wireless settings change the pw to something secure and also change the encryption to WPA rather than wep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

the eircom ting you see is just the SSID of the router, its a name and nothing more. If you can access the router software you can change it from there to any name you like, but theres no need.

When you try accessing the network from the laptop you're being blocked out by the router, just as kaimera says. Likely it is set up to WEP firewall standard. That means there is a code required(once-off) to access the network, usually a 10 digit number. Again this can be changed from the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yes thats the WEP key but I would change it anyways as by you giving out the SSID there, more than likely we can determine the WEP key as Eircom were stupid enough to release their routers with a WEP key based on the SSID. So to be safe change the WEP key now.

http://192.168.0.254 (i think?) - Check what your Gateway IP is on the wired network and point browser to there. As far as I know they don't have any password enabled on the web admin part.

Like kaimera says - Change to WPA - much more secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

I have a brand new boxed Nethopia 2247NWG which I have connected to DSL with BT. Works fine hardwired but when I try to connect Laptop it asks for passphrase to allow wirless connect. Where is this passphrase in/on the Eircom box.??? Everone says the box was shipped with passphrase but I can not see it.
    Anyone who can advise on this please help.
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Right Liverpool are after losing so I'm not too happy. speedbird do the following while connected to your router via a cable.

Click Start -> Run -> type cmd and press enter.

In the command prompt window type ipconfig and press enter. This will bring up some information on the connection between your laptop and router. The information you want is the address of the default gateway, it will be some variation of 192.168.x.x e.g. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254.

Open up a web browser and in the address bar go to the address of your default gateway. On my Netgear router (a different model to yours but quite possibly the same web interface) to change the settings you want to change do the following:

Along the left hand side of the page under the Setup section click the Wireless Settings link. This will load a page where you can change your wireless settings. Under the Security Options section pick WPA PSK-TKIP and pick a pass phrase. Then when you connect wirelessly Windows should detect that your router is using WPA and ask you to enter a pass phrase. Enter the phrase you picked and then you should have wireless access to your network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Thanks for the reply, I too am very unhappy about the result.
    Very dodgey goal for Chelsea as a defnite offside, however Liverpool were not too good in the first half. If they had played as well as they did in the second half things might be different.
    I will try these settings tomorrow.
    At present I am using no security and Laptop is very fast. HOWEVER the wired desktop is very very slow, in fact its like dialup.
    I have just put back the old Zytel modem and its back to normal speed again.
    What the hell is the matter with it. Is it that I have it set to Wireless thats its not performing normally for the hardwire desktop.???
    Thanks

Advertisement