Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT traffic shaping rapidshare?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi,
    My files from rapidshare while starting to download at full speed are stopping at about 3% and not budging after that. Anybody else getting this problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi,
    My files from rapidshare while starting to download at full speed are stopping at about 3% and not budging after that. Anybody else getting this problem.
    Are you a free loader, or do you have a premium account with rapidshare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

the_syco wrote: »
    Are you a free loader, or do you have a premium account with rapidshare?

Hi, I've a premium account for the last week, until today it was fine. Downloads timeout now. As little as 10megs is downloading before it stalls

Edit: just checked general speeds, downloading from microsoft (tons of bandwidth) and same thing happened, so I checked my DL allowance and I've gone over it, by a couple of Gigs, so it looks like I'm being restricted to the point of not being able to download anything!!, its a frackin joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

How much is a few gigs over your limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hi, I've a premium account for the last week, until today it was fine. Downloads timeout now. As little as 10megs is downloading before it stalls

Edit: just checked general speeds, downloading from microsoft (tons of bandwidth) and same thing happened, so I checked my DL allowance and I've gone over it, by a couple of Gigs, so it looks like I'm being restricted to the point of not being able to download anything!!, its a frackin joke!!
    Does it actually say on your stats page that you have been restricted or does it just say that you have gone over your limit? Most of the people who were restricted were over their limit by a country mile, 100gig+ a month sort of area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

IMO, if you have a premium Rapidshare account, you are downloading large amounts of data at high speeds and therefore are going to go over your monthly DL limit as set out in BTs T&C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 razorblade_kiss

I have had the same trouble as the first post. I have not gone anywhere near the limit for my connection...3MB connection with 30GB limit. Nowhere near it and I have found over the last week I too have had trouble downloading files and not just on rapidshare. I have found this happens on youtube or anything streaming too. Streaming or downloading can go as far as 98% and stop altogether or as little as 2% sometimes....very annoying.

At first I thought maybe it was something to do with rapidshare so tried a different sharing site and it happened there too...strange thing is I used my friends rapidshare account to grab something and it works out that way...I reckon that the only reason its working that way is because I have the account running through flashget and that allows me to resume a file. But I have also found that there can be some sites that take ages to load and when I click refresh it suddenly pops up as if the connection was stalled or something.

I have even tried downloading xbox 360 demos and found the connection halted too but at least there is a resume option on there too. I have mailed BT but waiting on reply. So irishshogun, your not alone with that problem. I am in the Santry area.

I have been looking around the forums and noticed someone talking about DNS settings or to do with the fact BT are changing the way we enter login details on the modem...changing @iolbb to @btbb, tried the solution on that post but it hasn't changed things for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Hi, I'm about 4 gigs over, so I guess thats enough for them to cripple me, gotta wait till next month. looks like its not just me, sucks ass!! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so in short, BT don't throttle rapidshare specifically...they just throttle users who go over their cap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Cabaal wrote: »
    so in short, BT don't throttle rapidshare specifically...they just throttle users who go over their cap :)
    And now that their rediculously low cap has become a problem for me I'll be finding another provider :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi, I'm about 4 gigs over, so I guess thats enough for them to cripple me, gotta wait till next month. looks like its not just me, sucks ass!! :(

Oh well... BT wont throttle you that way. Check your network card settings.

That problem normally happens when using wireless (more precisely dell wireless 13xx although its not specific to one brand) if you are not using wireless try using a different connection type, usb, ethernet or wifi.. depending of what you are using and try to spot the cause of your problem.

If BT decides to throttle your account on the usage monitor tool you will get a message saying so.

You gave up very easily I saw this post yesterday (traffic shaping rapidshare) and I though that after a few tries you will figure out that the problem is TCP related... so remember, dont give up just yet! keep digging!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 paul.ka

Cabaal wrote: »

Alas, no, I'm well under my cap. I've 8Mb, and my parents are 1Mb (on the same exchange). Over the past week or two on both connections I've had trouble downloading larger files (not huge now, just 10MB+). The only protocol that seems to be able to bring down anything large in a reliable manner is bit torrent.

They seem to have been having trouble with their DNS servers recently too. Frankly, I love 8Mb, but I would prefer a reliable connection more.

Bohrio>> I'm using wifi and wired at my place, and pure wire in my parents. I get the symptoms on all connections.

paul.ka wrote: »
    Bohrio>> I'm using wifi and wired at my place, and pure wire in my parents. I get the symptoms on all connections.

That's slightly different...

The way it normally happens is that the file starts downloading at the correct speed... then, after a few seconds, it starts loosing "grip" and gradually slows down until it stalls. That is a TCP issue.

What is your router manufacturer?

Have you tried ringing Tech Support?

From their side they can simulate downloading a file and discard if the issue is on your side

But 100% sure is not a new way of throttling customers...

If you believe there could be an issue you should open a new threat, maybe BT will notice!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cregser wrote: »
    And now that their rediculously low cap has become a problem for me I'll be finding another provider :)

Well if its unsuitable for your needs then away you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

Hi,

I've just posted about similar problems I'm having in another thread. Please take a look:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283861

My problems sound similar paul.ka's and razorblade_kiss's. It can't be a hardware problem for all of us and I'm well under my cap.

Has anybody heard anything from BT?

Hi,

I've just posted about similar problems I'm having in another thread. Please take a look:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283861

My problems sound similar paul.ka's and razorblade_kiss's. It can't be a hardware problem for all of us and I'm well under my cap.

Has anybody heard anything from BT?

My advice will be

Contact Tech Support, ask them if they are aware of any issues in regards this.

You should give them:

* A time when it happens (24/7, evenings...)
    * Your pings and tracerts will be useful to them (before it happens and while it happens)
    * The sites you are having issues with (it seems global)

They will do the rest...

For ex, next time it happens paste a tracert here so we can all see the hops and their similarities...

Bohrio wrote: »
    My advice will be

Contact Tech Support, ask them if they are aware of any issues in regards this.

You should give them:

* A time when it happens (24/7, evenings...)
    * Your pings and tracerts will be useful to them (before it happens and while it happens)
    * The sites you are having issues with (it seems global)

They will do the rest...

For ex, next time it happens paste a tracert here so we can all see the hops and their similarities...

Thanks,
    I've just emailed BT with the general details, but I don't have any tracerts at the moment. I'll tyr to do that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I know a few people that are having the same problems. HTTP and FTP downloads are no longer working. Youtube videos fail to load. Basically their connections are near useless. Torrents are the only reliable source. WTF are bt at?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

I'm having the exact same issue. Called up bt and they tried the usual things plus theyre sending me out a new modem to try and check if the modem is the problem even though i told them about this page. See what they say when the new modem doesnt fix things. Anyone else tried calling up and seeing what they say? The guy I was talking to said they had no logged issues. So if this is a recurring problem for people might be an idea to give them a call and say you want a global issue logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I would edit that before a mod explodes you.^^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

paul.ka banned/post deleted for requesting warez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If BT decides to throttle your account on the usage monitor tool you will get a message saying so.
    Sorry if it's a stupid question buy how do I access my usage monitor.

Having the same problem, that said I had no problems with torrents earlier today.

Gillo wrote: »
    Sorry if it's a stupid question buy how do I access my usage monitor.

Having the same problem, that said I had no problems with torrents earlier today.

http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Weird, my usage is showing at 0.00GB and 0 minutes!

Hi

It will be useful to post tracerts here. Maybe we can find some similarities like for ex, this could all be happening when connecting through a particular BAS?

Hi

It will be useful to post tracerts here. Maybe we can find some similarities like for ex, this could all be happening when connecting through a particular BAS?

Where should we place the tracert to? Any site? Any options we need to give on the command line?

Where should we place the tracert to? Any site? Any options we need to give on the command line?

Hi Fiachra

Try two different sites for ex google.com and bbc.co.uk. Remember to remove your ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭SeanW

Gauge wrote: »
    Weird, my usage is showing at 0.00GB and 0 minutes!
    Your usage meter is borked. Call BT Tech Suport and report it.

Advertisement