Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bigot, sectarian site still running and nothing is being done

• 28-04-2008 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive complained about this particular website before
    http://www.pulseresources.org/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=1.html
    for its shameless promotion of bigotry, intolerance and at times sheer racism. This is one of the worst sites I have ever seen and alot of it is actually directed at Irish people for some reason. You only have to read one of those threads to see why. Basically its a Northern Protestant site. Fair enough but just read some of the threads! I think there was also a newspaper article in the UK not long ago questioning this site with far more damning comments then I have about it. What bothers me about this is that its still there. Its become a breeding ground for anti Irish, anti Catholic bigotry and other racism against others and its so blatant. They condon paramilitaries frequently and loyalist terrorist organistions on a public forum.

Ive no doubt the people who use the site are sad, pathetic individuals who wouldnt say such things on the street to someone in person. What im wondering is why, despite the many complaints to the regulators and in light of the peace process and all that - that such a platform is being tolerated? The stuff on that site is beyond belief:( Im far from the only person who has concerns about these sorts of sites - I think they should all be banned - that goes for the Republican ones with their garbage aswell!

Id like to encourage others to make official complaints about these sorts of sites aswell. Has anyone got any idea of what the best way to make complaints against sites like this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theyre perfectly entitled to have a site like that if they want

stop being such a pc twit

you cant regulate peoples opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fancy making the same point about Stormfront?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

They mean serious business in there, Someone join it and create madness! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Pack of idiots. Oh well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

mike65 wrote: »
    Fancy making the same point about Stormfront?

Mike.

The site ive mentioned is principly to do with Ireland - of course I think SF should be banned and all sites that promote racism. Id like to start with the ones in our country first which are encouraging religious hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Who have you complained to..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Helix wrote: »

Careful now. I'm sure you can make your point without getting abusive.

Dub13 wrote:
    Valid question. May I suggest Joe Duffy (If you haven't already.)

I disgaree with what the people on that site, and stormfront, and so many other sites have to say, but I believe they have a right to say it (Unless it directy advocates or orchestrates violence). People are entitled to their opinions.

darkman2 wrote: »
    The site ive mentioned is principly to do with Ireland - of course I think SF should be banned and all sites that promote racism. Id like to start with the ones in our country first which are enouraging religious hatred.

do you think getting rid of sites like that will suddenly mean these people change their opinions?

the sites arent the issue here and theyre every bit as entitled to their piece of the internet as you are

Karoma wrote: »
    Careful now. I'm sure you can make your point without getting abusive.

lol

aye... "twit"

id say i cut him deep with that one alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Don't believe in freedom of speech, eh?

• Advertisement

lol

aye... "twit"

id say i cut him deep with that one alrite

It was aimed at the poster more than the post. Did I infract you for it? No. Did I ban you for it? No. Quit while you're ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think they should all be banned

i agree. only nice people should be allowed on the internet from now on. there should be a test of some sort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Ive no doubt the people who use the site are sad, pathetic individuals who wouldnt say such things on the street to someone in person. ?

I wouldn't lose sleep over it then.

do you think getting rid of sites like that will suddenly mean these people change their opinions?

No, of course not, but I dont think platforms like it - especially for somewhere coming out of conflict is justified. Thats a blatant sectarian site actively encouraging hatred and bigotry against another side of the community.

I cant actually remember who I complained to. It was a UK regulator for the internet - someone posted the link here - that was last year. I cant remember what they are called though.

It was aimed at the poster more than the post. Did I infract you for it? No. Did I ban you for it? No. Quit while you're ahead.

i thought AH was fair game

Out of cuirosity, OP, how did you come across this site in the first place?

You thought wrong, Helix. Re-read the charter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go to the President of Internets. He lives in an ivory tower guarded by lolcats and the Star Wars Kid.

Him or Joe Duffy, they get results.

Robbo wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go to the President of Internets

haha

"dear mr. internet,

it has come to my attention that there is some material available on your service that i do not agree with. i demand you remove it this instant

regards
    dave c. darkman II"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Damn right. People should only be allowed to voice their opinions if they are the same as mine.

You thought wrong, Helix. Re-read the charter.

thats far too much like effort, ill just have to live dangerously and see what happens by not reading it

• Advertisement

Out of cuirosity, OP, how did you come across this site in the first place?

Because it was linked on the bbc messageboards and allowed stay there for a few days after it was in the Times newspaper I think it was.

I cant actually remember who I complained to. It was a UK regulator for the internet - someone posted the link here - that was last year. I cant remember what they are called though.

But it could be hosted in Russia or Navan or some kip like that and then the UK regulator would have no jurisdiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think the OP should be banned from the internet. I actually do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, just don't bother looking at the site. The way it's disgusting you is exactly what they want.

But as for the "people are entitled to their opinion"/free speech argument: are people who believe, for example, that all children with cerebral palsy should be gassed, entitled to spread that view?

orestes wrote: »
    Damn right. People should only be allowed to voice their opinions if they are the same as mine.

Lads, dont get me wrong, im all for freedom of opinion and free speech etc. Its just Ireland is in reality a small place and part of the Island has had a murderous sectarian conflict - thats my principle argument against this/these sites. Im all for free speech etc. The owner or main mod on that site was on PeoplesRepublicofCork a while back and was asked would he not make sure to at least tone down some of what was on the site
    obviously too much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

when the seagulls follow the trawler...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Yeah it's all a load of nonsense..

Let them burn flags and talk the talk... whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

I see plenty of people wearing engerland & rangers jerseys in the republic (ok, not plenty, but some)... i don't want to stab them or burn them alive..

Even if i did, there's nothing wrong with that. Unless of course i actually do it or publicly declare i'm going to do it :p

Until the site becomes a meeting place for known thugs or vandals, leave it up and running as these guys are just like us..

Bored, in work or whatever killing a few hours trying to stir up controversy or get arguments or debates going.

Yep, let them spew their hate. They're not worth getting worked up over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, just don't bother looking at the site. The way it's disgusting you is exactly what they want.

But as for the "people are entitled to their opinion"/free speech argument: are people who believe, for example, that all children with cerebral palsy should be gassed, entitled to spread that view?

Yes as long as they don't actually do any gassing.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

The site ive mentioned is principly to do with Ireland - of course I think SF should be banned and all sites that promote racism. Id like to start with the ones in our country first which are encouraging religious hatred.

How does SF promote Racism?
    What planet are you on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How does SF promote Racism?
    What planet are you on??
    Stormfront, not Sinn Fein -_-

Now now lets not turn this into another SF thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Sickener. Apologies :p

I haven't seen this forum before.

funk-you wrote: »
    Yes as long as they don't actually do any gassing.

-Funk
    But what about the upset and hurt it would cause? What about the danger of spreading views like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

But what about the upset and hurt it would cause? What about the danger of spreading views like this?
    You can't legislate against hurting people's feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Anyone who disagrees with an opinion may get upset, should we stop having opinions? As long as no actions are taken you can choose to ignore words.

-Funk

You can't legislate against hurting people's feelings.

Try as they might.

-Funk

Dudess wrote:
    Sure. As long as it's on their site, and especially if they invite debate/arguement - hell, yeah!

The Internet remains a Pull media, for now. You choose what you want to see. If you click on something you don't like, you can click elsewhere.

There is the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act though. I, for one, am glad. But that's just my opinion (ironically :))

I think what you're saying is far more likely to come from a "PC" person.

they most certainly are entitled to spread it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

good luck with complaining - the site is hosted in houston, texas.

• Advertisement

I think what you're saying is far more likely to come from a "PC" person.

nah, the pc brigade only roll that one out when its something they agree with. otherwise they break their balls trying to protect the poor innocent world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dub13 wrote: »

Us boardsies. We'll sort them out! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I just read the thread entitled "Cash for loyalists if they don’t burn Irish tricolour" and thought it might have been an interesting discussion but as I read the posts they are just from people that like Irish flags being burned!

I know what the OP is trying to say though. It could be an offensive site to a lot of people but then again this is the internet, people say what they like whether we agree with it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I believe in the right to free speech. It bothers me that people have sectarian beliefs, it also bothers me that people buy Beyoncé's music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

There is the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act though. I, for one, am glad. But that's just my opinion (ironically :))

As it's hosted in the USA, free speech pretty much rules.

If boards was hosted the same way then we'd all be free to say what we wanted about - Micks Car Dealership - for example.
    Irish or UK law has no juristiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Puts on troll hat (quickly followed by Celtic jersey)

Joins this site

Waits for the madness

How long til i'm banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Well if enough people, or rather enough of the right kind of people, wanted the site taken down then i'm sure it could be arranged, but in reality nobody gives two tugs of a dead dogs cock about some loyalist neanderthals being keyboard warriors.

Let it go, the internet if full of morons and even if you could find a foolproof way to remove them then the universe would just create a better idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Having reviewed these distasteful sites OP, which one would you suggest I should join? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Kold wrote: »
    I believe in the right to free speech. It bothers me that people have sectarian beliefs, it also bothers me that people buy Beyoncé's music.

Yes! Banning Beyoncé ftw. Along with Westlife and any other manufactured shyte...:D

It ain't gonna happen though, is it? Let the morons have their say and then come on to boards and complain about it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Beyonce is purdy. Leave her be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement