Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing up the History Research Study

Options
  • 28-04-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

My class wrote out the Research Study for History today but the whole thing was just a bit of a disaster. What the hell is the deal with the design of that booklet?! Only 1 page each for the Outline Plan and the Evaluation of Sources....?! Both of those took me two pages, along with pretty much all my class. So our teacher told us to cross out the headings, so basically after one page of the Outline Plan we crossed out the Evaluation heading and continued with the outline plan for another page, then when it came to writing the Evaluation, we crossed out the Extended Essay headline and wrote the evaluation there for two pages, then added in a new heading on page 7 for the Extended Essay. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Did anyone else do anything like that? Or have I just messed up my essay completely?! There just wasn't enough damn space in that booklet. That's what I hate about these god-damn projects, same with Geography, they're just so restrictive with the word counts and everything. Argghhhhh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I have to say, my class just made our writing smaller, and edited. For space-saving, we also numbered our sources in the outline plan bit so as to save space in the evaluation by just repeating the numbers rather than the entire titles.

However, just because we didnt do it doesnt mean AT ALL that you will be penalised. I doubt they would dock marks for doing that, to be honest, as they never explicitly say you CAN'T... to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Hmm, I doubt they'd take marks off but you should make your writing absolutely tiiiny and you're allowed draw in extra lines at the end of each page.

You should be able to fit all on one page, its only 15 marks for the Outline and 25 for the Evaluation so they're really only looking for a certain amount of points (eg three aims, and with the evaluation of sources; the relevence, advantages and disadvantages of the source)

But it is a bit of a joke really that they're only lines on pretty much half the page if you take into account the huuuuge blank spaces above, below, to the left (and have you noticed that the spaces between the lines are all different widths?? :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Theres a chance you'll lose marks for that.They give you a maximum amount of words and pages.You have to try to stick with that

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

why didnt ye just do a few practice runs in photocopies of the booklets and alter your work if needs be then, seems a bit mad writing it up for the first time in the official booklet, there are a small number of marks going for presentation so wont do you any favours crossing out headings etc, i agree the layout is very restrictive but think thats meant to be the whole point that you can be concise and develop editorial skills and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Oh no!
    I seriously dont think you should have done that. That was a bad idea. The outline plan and evaluation are only supposed to be one page long. The extended is to be "no more than 1500 words" and you have done about two pages on outline plans and evaluations. I mean the aim of this is the research skills, how well can you retrieve information and write a decent essay. The plan and evaluation are only worth 40 marks.

Did you not run out of space for the essay? How can an outline plan go on for two pages?
    I don't want to scare you but there's no way our teacher would have let us do that! I doubt the examiner will be impressed, sorry. Maybe it won't be a problem. I wouldn't have done that - but its hardly your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

So messed up. Why didn't your teacher photocopy practice sheets? You don't need to write more than a page anyway and you'll get full marks. Silly teacher. I'm sure the clever students didn't listen to his ill-informed advice. I mean scratching out titles in the booklet lol...and it was meant to be done last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

final date for submission is tomorrow 30th april in our school, they are then kept by the school until exam time when same examiner who marks your paper does the project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I hate those booklets! The spaces near the top are really narrow, and they widen out then towards the end, its all really crap looking. Mine fitted in pretty perfectly, but i know a lot of people in my class drew in extra lines top and bottom of pages. Anyone know,is your evaluation meant to be included in your word count?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

word count is extended essay and review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Ah, sounds a bit dodgy to be honest. I do agree that there's not enough room for the Plan and Evaluation, but wouldn't have done that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    My class wrote out the Research Study for History today but the whole thing was just a bit of a disaster. What the hell is the deal with the design of that booklet?! Only 1 page each for the Outline Plan and the Evaluation of Sources....?! Both of those took me two pages, along with pretty much all my class. So our teacher told us to cross out the headings, so basically after one page of the Outline Plan we crossed out the Evaluation heading and continued with the outline plan for another page, then when it came to writing the Evaluation, we crossed out the Extended Essay headline and wrote the evaluation there for two pages, then added in a new heading on page 7 for the Extended Essay. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Did anyone else do anything like that? Or have I just messed up my essay completely?! There just wasn't enough damn space in that booklet. That's what I hate about these god-damn projects, same with Geography, they're just so restrictive with the word counts and everything. Argghhhhh!

What a dumbass teacher!! course marks will be lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

armbruster wrote: »
    Oh no!
    I seriously dont think you should have done that. That was a bad idea. The outline plan and evaluation are only supposed to be one page long. The extended is to be "no more than 1500 words" and you have done about two pages on outline plans and evaluations. I mean the aim of this is the research skills, how well can you retrieve information and write a decent essay. The plan and evaluation are only worth 40 marks.

Did you not run out of space for the essay? How can an outline plan go on for two pages?
    I don't want to scare you but there's no way our teacher would have let us do that! I doubt the examiner will be impressed, sorry. Maybe it won't be a problem. I wouldn't have done that - but its hardly your fault.
    Yes it was probably a stupid thing to do, but I don't see why marks would necessarily be lost. He didn't say he went over 1500 words, and there is no set word count for the Outline Plan.

How can you be so sure that he'll lose marks?

And another thing, you say the Plan and Evaluation is only 40 marks, the essay is only 50. The Plan and Evaluation is almost half of the whole project, quite a lot in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Lol at some of the replies, IT'S JUST PAPER!

You'd swear there was some actual significance in the printed titles and writing on the correct pages the way some of you are going on. Examiners mark on content, they're not going to mark someone down because they scribbled out a title, ffs.

The only possible way one could lose marks here would be that their plan and evaluation was too long winded, but that's not very likely, since I don't think this is a harshly marked part of the research study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Review is included in the word count i.e. 1500 words for higher level but is supposed to be separate from the essay and should titled.

Making changes to the booklet may not warrant a person to lose marks, but it will if it confuses or annoys an examiner who has to correct about 200 scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I reckon the irritability of examiners is overexaggerated.

Advertisement