Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy insteads?

• 28-04-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,

does anyone know of a pharmacy in Dublin which definatley sells insteads?

http://oochi.biz/instead/public/index.php

I know i can get them online, but thats not really an option atm :S

thanks for any info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

You can buy Mooncups in some Boots and healthfood shops..they are basically the same except you dont dispose of them.They are reusable and therefore better for the environment too..prob work out cheaper in the long run also...

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

This isn't going to be a very helpful post (I apologise dosed, but I thank you for exposing me to these creations), but I'm really just amazed. I didn't know such things existed. I'm sure I'm not the only though...least I hope not.

I don't know whether to be freaked out that there are ones that are reusable or whether to applaud the "moon cup" people for being environmentally friendly..and out of curiosity I think I might check them out. I suppose surgens use knives and stuff again-obviously after they've been cleaned, etc, so makes sense. The things you learn on the internet these days.

Again, also out of curiosity, dosed or Ruthee, have you used them before, and if so how in the name of jay did you come across them, but more importantly, once there in, is it hard to get them out?

I'm really just..well..amazed I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm gobsmacked :eek:!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

My god I had to go back 17 pages but dug up this thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214177

I think it's similar to what you're looking for, hopefully you'll get some info from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

Ruthee wrote: »
    You can buy Mooncups in some Boots and healthfood shops..they are basically the same except you dont dispose of them.They are reusable and therefore better for the environment too..prob work out cheaper in the long run also...

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

thanks, I actually use the mooncup. been using it for a few years now :)

the reason i wanted the insteads was because i'd like to have non-messy sex and i dont think that would be very comfortable for either of us with th mooncup :P pointy....

the insteads are pretty pricey so i just wanted a stash to use for sex (according to ppl on th web, you can get a few uses out of them if you want).

but it dosnt seem like ireland has caught up with the times yet :( big surprise.

• Advertisement

This isn't going to be a very helpful post (I apologise dosed, but I thank you for exposing me to these creations), but I'm really just amazed. I didn't know such things existed. I'm sure I'm not the only though...least I hope not.

I don't know whether to be freaked out that there are ones that are reusable or whether to applaud the "moon cup" people for being environmentally friendly..and out of curiosity I think I might check them out. I suppose surgens use knives and stuff again-obviously after they've been cleaned, etc, so makes sense. The things you learn on the internet these days.

Again, also out of curiosity, dosed or Ruthee, have you used them before, and if so how in the name of jay did you come across them, but more importantly, once there in, is it hard to get them out?

I'm really just..well..amazed I guess.

Ive been useing the mooncup for the past 2 years, you can get them for less than 30quid in boots.

I got it mainly out of curiousity too, and it was defo worth it. seriousley, Im NEVER going back to tampons, or worse...pads. Im a student, so its great not to have to fork out every month. they are also very convenient because you never have to carry any 'spares' around with you and you dont need to change it as often either.

once you start using one , you'll never go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Like, do they ever leak? I'm tempted but the idea seems a bit scary to me.

Glowing wrote: »
    Like, do they ever leak? I'm tempted but the idea seems a bit scary to me.

mine has never leaked, except for once, when it was full. that was after being in for 12-13 hours. So once, in 2 years. i think thats pretty good. tampons used to leak for me all th time, even when they wernt full :/

a cup isnt really that scarey, once you get used to the idea. its scarey in th way tampons can seem scarey before you're used to them.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!
    They look quite long ... it's hard to imagine I wouldn't feel it. Especially the stick-ie part at the bottom.

Also, do you wear them at night?

Cheers!

the 'salk' at the end is made extra long so you can cut it. some women cut the entire 'stalk' off, as its possible to remove it without the stalk. Personally i've cut almost all of mine off, and ive never been 'poked' by it.
    the cup actually sits very low, i was surprised that it didnt need to be higher (like a tampon I guess). But its very comfortable, I can't feel it at all once its in place.

yes I wear it at night.

• Advertisement

Sounds great - might give it a go. Sure what harm can come of it. I use tampons all the time but hate that dry feeling you get for the last day or too...

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

Glowing wrote: »
    Sounds great - might give it a go. Sure what harm can come of it. I use tampons all the time but hate that dry feeling you get for the last day or too...

Cheers! :)

ya me too, def going to try the mooncup..........dubious tho bout how sex would work with the insteads.......but hey I'll try anything once :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

i dont use em but had read about them on a different forum..can see the advantages but just not for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sharkie2008

i've thought about using the mooncup but was unsure how well they would work. you really can't feel it? its not uncomfortable or anything?

you really can't feel it? its not uncomfortable or anything?

when its in its not uncomfortable at all, cant feel it at all. very very easy to forget your wearing it, since theres no string or anything.

personally the only time it is uncomfortable is when im inserting it in a rush and it 'pops' open before ive pushed it in all the way. ouch :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

OK question, and pardon me if it seems a tad stupid, but how can you have sex with it in place?

Jules wrote: »
    OK question, and pardon me if it seems a tad stupid, but how can you have sex with it in place?

you cant :( it sits far too low.

a softcup, like an Instead (what I started this post about), sits alot higher and can be worn while having sex.

a mooncup and an instead are very different if you look at pictures. but its th same basic idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Jules wrote: »

haha. i was thinking this aswell but now i see.
    i just cant imagine using these. i cant even imagine putting them in, im bad anough with a Tampon! luckily enough all i need these days is a pantyliner! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Might sound silly, but does it not leak? And is taking it out not very messy and spilly? Im curious, and heard abou them a few years ago, but apprehensive!

Might sound silly, but does it not leak? And is taking it out not very messy and spilly? Im curious, and heard abou them a few years ago, but apprehensive!

they dont leak if the seal is formed correctly. once the seal is made its not going to leak (unless it is full).

taking it out is not as messy as you'd think! it takes a bit of practice alright, but once you get the angle worked out, its very easy and if a little bit spills, it just goes in th toilet.

while i was learning, i used to take it out in the shower, so even if it spells, its no big deal.

Its really hard to understand how easy it is until you have a go. i know it sounds messy but its really not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Might do! Thanks! Theyre in Boots, you say (oh wise one:D) I like the idea of the insteads tho, pity you can't get them here..

yeah its so annoying :( apparently they are very widley available in the states, in most walmarts' or whatever. and yet here.....nada
    and its not like there isnt a demand :(
    maybe ill get the boyfriend to buy some online with his credit card, its a little more discreet than asking him to run down to spar for tampons :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Which boots/health food shop sells them them in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Sorry Dosed, not a helpful post for insteads, but just another big-up for the mooncup. I remember seeing them in Boots aaaaages ago and doing the whole "eewwwww" point-and-laugh effort... then I read the threads here on boards and thought, "to hell, for 30quid I'd lose on a Saturday night in a taxi, give it a shot for research purposes". I'm not an eco-person, was just curious - and after one DAY'S use, I was hooked! Been on it a couple of months now, and can't speak highly enough of it!! JUST DO IT!

As for comfort, I've found when you put it in the first few times, you are very aware of where it sits... for about 10minutes.... as you move around, it naturally seems to find the best position and you don't feel it for the rest of the day.

I'm horrified to learn that your Vjay-Vjay gets 3 milimeters wider on your 30th Birthday.

Which boots/health food shop sells them them in Dublin?

the big boots stores sell them. I got mine in th stevens green shopping centre boots. i'm fairly sure they're still stocking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I picked a mooncup up last time I was in Dublin and I'm pretty much thrilled with it. They look very daunting but I have extreme difficulties getting even the itty-bitty mini tampons in, and the mooncup is absolutely no problem to me. I didn't have a single leak and I couldn't feel it at all when it was positioned. It's great knowing that you won't have to buy any more tampons or pads for years and years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sharkie2008

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm horrified to learn that your Vjay-Vjay gets 3 milimeters wider on your 30th Birthday.

:eek: is that true?

Apparntly women over 30 who don't tone their aera with yoga or pilates or somesuch. Need the bigger size, the same as size as women who have had babies.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Apparntly women over 30 who don't tone their aera with yoga or pilates or somesuch. Need the bigger size, the same as size as women who have had babies.:eek:

Christ I'd probably be better off with a black sack so:(

Advertisement