Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds best keeper?

• 28-04-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭

Buffon
    Cech
    Casillas

Discuss!

I think Buffon is because hes makes amazing saves week-in week-out for Juve and Italy

He was very important for Italy when they won the world cup and i fancy Italys chance to win the euro 2008 as very high with a keeper like that and a great defence to command.

i think he is the best keeper of all time. and he will command his ''Official'' position as world no.1 for another 9-10 years. He nearly won world player of the year in 2006 for his heroic efforts and if he had won it, it would of been an amazing achievment as Keepers rarely win this award... if ever?

Worlds best keeper? 65 votes

Buffon
    0%
    Cech
    40%
    Bounty HunterPepe LeFritsSeanehkaimeraguccievad_lhorgThE_IVIAcIVIAIVjemMr. PresentableJazzyRoddy23Jonny Arson~Rebel~Mitch ConnorB00MSTICKAnCapaillMorsyngindubLuckyLloydredzerdrogKillme00 26 votes
    Casillas
    16%
    V9Mr.Nice GuyiregkJageraCharlieshockwaveeddieheadstakerCHDTomthepostKing John V 11 votes
    I can't make up my mind! they are all so good.
    43%
    PHBDont be at yourselfRaskolnikovChongKdjaCLMisterAnarchyweemcdStickyMcGintyIrishMikeJuan PabloziggyChardee MacDennismikemacemc2kinaldoeventeZe^tdvMorfDSB 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Casiallas as he playes behind Real/Spanish defence and still comes out of every game as the player with the most touches :D

Cech and Buffon are brilliant but both have excellent defences in front of them and neither gets tested as much as Casialas.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Casillas for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Cech
    I think it is Buffon, although I haven't seen enough of Casillas.

Cech hasn't been the same since his clash with Stephen Hunt and shouldn't be considered imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

should be more options.As I biased liverpool fan I think reina should at least be an option,for the last 2 years he has got the golden glove award and Cech has not.

Alot of people will say cech is better but the options should still be there.what age is buffon these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Cech
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    Casiallas as he playes behind Real/Spanish defence and still comes out of every game as the player with the most touches :D

Cech and Buffon are brilliant but both have excellent defences in front of them and neither gets tested as much as Casialas.

kdjac

Juve have a horrid defence, jeeeez if you've seen any highlights or games this season you will see that hes made so many world class saves this season and hes worth minimum 20 pts to juve . they are 3rd place, 10 pts ahead of 4th and its all due to buffon and the forward line (most goals in serie A)

Cech
    dc69 wrote: »
    should be more options.As I biased liverpool fan I think reina should at least be an option,for the last 2 years he has got the golden glove award and Cech has not.

Alot of people will say cech is better but the options should still be there.what age is buffon these days?

only 30!! still young for a keeper. look at kahn 41? still going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cech
    Very close for me as well, went for Buffon as i've seen more of him then Iker and he's always massively impressed me. Just seems to spring and reach to make ridiculous saves. Casillas would be a very very close second though, probably Madrids most important player at the moment from what i've seen of them this year.

Cech for me hasn't quite come back to his incredible pre-injury form yet so hard to put him back in the same class as the other 2 yet.

Cech
    kdjac add a few more keepers if you think its right. as i can't edit the poll.

only 30!! still young for a keeper. look at kahn 41? still going

jesus,what age was he when he broke that transfer record?

he will be good till he is 38 or so,if he keeps himself in good health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Cech
    Gigi is top for me without any doubt and seeing as I don't watch La Liga Cech is second. haven't a clue who comes third although Frey is starting to impress me

I dont care who it is,no goalkeeper is worth €52 milion.Thats could get you top quality cb's and a world class goalkeeper.ridiculous money lol

Cech
    jesus,what age was he when he broke that transfer record?

he will be good till he is 38 or so,if he keeps himself in good health.

it was in 2001 when juve sold zidane to real for about 50m and they bought Buffon for 50e then. most expensive keeper of all time by a long shot. next would of been 15m or so?

Cech
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Gigi is top for me without any doubt and seeing as I don't watch La Liga Cech is second. haven't a clue who comes third although Frey is starting to impress me

Frey and a fella called Amelia from livorno are very good prospects. lets hope they don't get sold to engerland. must keep our good players in Italia.

Cech
    I dont care who it is,no goalkeeper is worth €52 milion.Thats could get you top quality cb's and a world class goalkeeper.ridiculous money lol

but for an extra 20+ points a season x15 seasons minimum. and he commands to defence, its not just the saves he makes, its his influence on the pitch too, and he holds the defence together. whenever i see belardi(sub keeper) play he makes decent saves but has no influence and doesn't command/hold the defence together as a unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cech
    Buffon

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jan15q.html

According to the IFFHS institute of football statistics, Gianluigi Buffon is the greatest goalkeeper of the last 20 years.

The International Federation of Football History and Statistics made the announcement today after collating its latest figures that crown the Juventus goalkeeper best of 2007.

Buffon tops the all-time charts – although the IFFHS only began its calculations from its inception in 1987 – on 69 points along with former Manchester United and Denmark shot-stopper Peter Schmeichel.

Germany’s Oliver Kahn is in third place on 62 points, followed by Jose Luis Chilavert of Paraguay (58) and ex-Inter and Italy goallie Walter Zenga (55).

Edwin Van Der Sar, Belgium’s Michel Preud-homme, Brazilian ex-Parma goalkeeper Claudio Taffarel and David Seaman complete the top 10.

Other Serie A based entries include Milan’s Nelson Dida in 13th position on 35 points, Inter benchwarmer Francesco Toldo in 20th alongside German Andreas Kopke, Gianluca Pagliuca in 22nd and Angelo Peruzzi in 32nd place on equal points with Jens Lehmann.

The IFFHS plans a gala in 2012 to mark ‘25 Years of World Goalkeepers.’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Very tough choice, I'd just shade it with Casillas though :)

nipplenuts wrote: »

Casiallas has made more saves than both this season :D

Buffon and Cech can make vital saves to win games ala the 20 point thing but Casiallas single handedly keeps his team in games, they have no defence at all. They average 25 shots(10 on target) per game.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Casillas for me... he was superb v Athletico the other night again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Casiallas has made more saves than both this season :D

kdjac

Fair enough he makes more saves but he gets more taken on him, Buffon is the best goalkeeper in the world by a mile and he will prove it again ay this summers European Championships.

• Advertisement

Cech
    Heinze-pepe-marcelo-cannavaro etc etc is a bad defence? its worth 3x what juves is worth on paper

Heinze-pepe-marcelo-cannavaro etc etc is a bad defence? its worth 3x what juves is worth on paper

Juve have Momo Sissoko,so I give it to Buffon purely for that.He has to make at least 30 saves a season on Sissoko mistakes alone.lol

Shocking defence is a better word for them, easily the worst defence i have seen in a top team ever.

With the exception of their keeper :p

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

nipplenuts wrote: »

followed by Jose Luis Chilavert of Paraguay (58)

I remember that guy. Didn't he take all the penalties and freekicks.
    He was brilliant at freekicks from what I remember. They showed in training during France 98. Sending vicious swerves to the top corners.

According to wikipeadia he has 37 career goals. That's more than most defenders, legend!

Cassillas for me, top keeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Casillas. Look at how good he is for a 26 year old. He might even make 1000 appearances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cech
    Buffon, without a doubt, easily, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Buffon, without a doubt, easily, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

yes well discussed there seaneh......sarcastic applause.....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree that Buffon has gone seriously downhill since his accident with Hunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mr Alan wrote: »

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Cech
    Reina is poor in the air, you can't be considered a top class keeper, never mind a very good keeper without that attribute imo. He is a good shot stopper but you would barely make it at U12s without being a good shot stopper

Cech
    yes well discussed there seaneh......sarcastic applause.....

kdjac

It doesn't have to be discussed, it's common sense, logic, Buffon IS the best goal keeper in the world.

Paolo Maldini IS the best defender of all time.

Maradona IS the best player of all time.

These aren't things you can argue about, they are just, logic, sense.

If you disagree, fine, it's your opinion, but guess what, you're opinion is wrong!

Seaneh wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be discussed, it's common sense, logic, Buffon IS the best goal keeper in the world.

These aren't things you can argue about, they are just, logic, sense.

If you disagree, fine, it's your opinion, but guess what, you're opinion is wrong!

Thread locked, Seaneh has given his opinion and guess what we are wrong!

kdjac

Cech
    Good lad, you've seen the error of your ways.

*pat on the head for KdjaCL*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As is the case when comparing most English players to those in other leagues, you see everything that English based players do (good and bad) while you nearly only see the good stuff that those based abroad do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cech
    Casillas is an amazing keeper who has improved an awful lot over the past few years. But ****sake, right now Buffon is the best keeper available. And it isn't that close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Cech does not belong in this list, he's way more error prone than people seem ready to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What about a non obvious goalie playing for a crap-ish team?

Brad Friedel seems to be excellent any time I ever see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :confused:

Yeah, anyway.

A previous post mentioned Toldo was a benchwarmer at Inter. Really?

Class keeper he is.

Casillas for me though. Love the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Casillas is ****ing amazing. Cech imo has never reached those heights (yet) and Buffon has declined somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Looks like my innocuous comment in the La Liga thread sparked this off!:D

Anyway, Casillas for me. He's been Madrid's best player this year imo and has single-handedly kept them in games, particularly earlier in the season when Barça were on form. I don't know how many points he's been worth this year but suffice to say, Madrid wouldn't be winning the league without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Joe Hart

All these goal keepers have a world class defence in front of them . Would they be as good in a lesser team ?

lol, you've obviously never watched Real Madrid defend.

Cech
    All these goal keepers have a world class defence in front of them . Would they be as good in a lesser team ?

world class? hahahaha

Grygera - Legrotale - Cheillini - Molinaro

thats the Juventus Defence. i bet most of ye only know Chiellini as he plays for Italy.

its true we have Andrade but hes played 1 game this season, he was knocked out through injury

then Zebina... hes not so good anymore.

Reina is poor in the air, you can't be considered a top class keeper, never mind a very good keeper without that attribute imo. He is a good shot stopper but you would barely make it at U12s without being a good shot stopper

I agree he is not the best in the air but I was more arguing the point that reina had won the golden gloves for 2 seasons,cech might have been injured for some of that and he has declined in performance.

Im of the opinion if cech is on the list then reina has to be,imo he is in the top 2 keepers in the PL,obviously himself and Cech.So if your gona put 1 you have to put the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I agree he is not the best in the air but I was more arguing the point that reina had won the golden gloves for 2 seasons,cech might have been injured for some of that and he has declined in performance.

Im of the opinion if cech is on the list then reina has to be,imo he is in the top 2 keepers in the PL,obviously himself and Cech.So if your gona put 1 you have to put the other.

Why would the Premiership get two keepers on the list? If that's the case then should the second best keeper in Serie A/La Liga be on it too? What about the Bundisliga? Is the best keeper from there not more deserving of a spot than the PL's number 2?

There's no way Cech and Reina are on a par. And Reina is not in Buffon or Casillas' league either for that matter.

I don't buy into the Reina hype to be honest. To me he's a good keeper, but nowhere near that sort of level.

I tell you what though, Spain have a ****load of top class keepers. Casillas, Valdes, Reina, Almunia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Casper Ankergran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

The Holy Goalie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sylvester Stallone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement