Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds best keeper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Cech
    PHB wrote: »
    I don't buy into the Reina hype to be honest. To me he's a good keeper, but nowhere near that sort of level.

I tell you what though, Spain have a ****load of top class keepers. Casillas, Valdes, Reina, Almunia

Italians = Buffon, Toldo , Abbiati, frey , almeria...... and Julio Cesar and Dida play in italy too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I can't make up my mind! they are all so good.
    Anyone remember the saves Casillas made in stoppage time of the Champions League final against Leverkusen when he was a teenager? Legendary. Without him Real Madrid would probably be 3 championships and 1 European Cup worse off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I don't buy into the Reina hype to be honest. To me he's a good keeper, but nowhere near that sort of level.

I tell you what though, Spain have a ****load of top class keepers. Casillas, Valdes, Reina, Almunia

Valdes?!:eek: He's a very good shot-stopper but his all round goalkeeping is fairly average. I definitely wouldn't class him as top class.
    Italians = Buffon, Toldo , Abbiati, frey , almeria...... and Julio Cesar and Dida play in italy too...

Are you trying to suggest Abbiati and Dida are top class? I would call Dida overrated but I didn't think anyone actually rated him. As for Abbiati, have you seen him play for Atletico this season? He is absolutely shocking and there's no way he should be in the team. Easily the worst goalkeeper I've seen in top flight football this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's been Barcas keeper for 4 years now, and while he's not amazing, he's still playing at the highest levels on a regular basis. That's 4 first choice keepers at the top 10ish clubs in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

He's been Barcas keeper for 4 years now, and while he's not amazing, he's still playing at the highest levels on a regular basis. That's 4 first choice keepers at the top 10ish clubs in Europe.

True, but there are also mitigating circumstances there, same as the way Oleguer is an ever-present in the Barça squad. I just think he makes too many mistakes in important games to be considered top class and hopefully that trend will continue tonight!:D Anyway, yeah, Spain have such unbelievable strength in depth in their squad and if they could get it all together for the Euros, it'd take some team to stop them! I'd still have Casillas a fair bit ahead of the other keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Can't believe some seriously actually suggested Reina...Good lord...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Can't believe some seriously actually suggested Reina...Good lord...

right so its ok to have cech there but the guy who has won the premier league golden gloves the past 2 seasons over him shouldnt be ? :confused::rolleyes:

I don't actually believe Cech should be there either, but I couldn't give a toss if Reina won an award presented by god himself calling him the best person at everything in the world ever, the man is NOT even remotely worthy of being on a four person list of the best goalkeepers in the world. The idea is laughable. He's completley unreliable at high balls, being a shot stopper is only half the battle.

Cech I also don't think should be there, but he's probably more worthy than Reina for what it's worth. I find them both unreliable and error prone.

if hes so unreliable at high balls how does he keep so many clean sheets?

• Advertisement

Because clean sheets are entirely about the performance of the keeper....Put an U12s team in front of Schmichael in his prime and have them play against Man United every week and see how many clean sheets he keeps. Guess that makes him crap, so...

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Because clean sheets are entirely about the performance of the keeper....Put an U12s team in front of Schmichael in his prime and have them play against Man United every week and see how many clean sheets he keeps. Guess that makes him crap, so...

are you on medication :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Cech
    dc69 wrote: »
    Im of the opinion if cech is on the list then reina has to be,imo he is in the top 2 keepers in the PL,obviously himself and Cech.So if your gona put 1 you have to put the other.
    Don't agree. In the Prem Van Der Sar, Friedel, Cech, Cudicini, James, Given off the top of my head are all better than him imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Don't agree. In the Prem Van Der Sar, Friedel, Cech, Cudicini, James, Given off the top of my head are all better than him imo

not a chance,van der sar?hes pony and trap cudicini is a good keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Roman Weidenfeller is quite good.

Cyrus wrote: »
    are you on medication :confused:

Are you? Clean sheets does not = great keeper. Put me in goal for Liverpool against a team from the non league of Wales and chances are I'll keep a clean sheet...It's as much if not more about the outfield players and set up of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't watch Serie A so I cant comment on Buffon, but Casillas is the best keeper to me. He's already well on the way to becoming a Real Madrid legend. Didnt he say he wants to coach, manage and eventually become president of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Cech
    maybe someone should post some clips of the 3 keepers best saves , could be good :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Every time I watch madrid play Iker always makes a string of fantastic saves & never puts a foot wrong. Havent watched alot of Juventus since the scandal so can't really comment on Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Cech
    Buffon for me. Casillas is absolutely brillaint though. Such a good shot stopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Casillas

neimi and jaskilinen........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I dont think there has been a great keeper since Schmeichel.

He continued in a long line of great keepers and I havent seen one since.

Maybe the game has changed alot since then with the lighter ball etc and even the back pass rule to an extent.

From the list though it has to be Casillas for me. hard to believe he is still so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

No mention of Neil Alexander yet?! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Casillas

I would agree with this. Reina gets clean sheets as liverpool sit so deep and with two defensive midfielders in front. Its like a wall in front of the goal. Put him in a lesser more attacking team and he would be stripped.

I'd agree with everyone on that list being better than Reina. On a side note, I ate in his resturant in Liverpool there last week. Its muck!

iregk wrote: »
    I would agree with this. Reina gets clean sheets as liverpool sit so deep and with two defensive midfielders in front. Its like a wall in front of the goal. Put him in a lesser more attacking team and he would be stripped.

I'd agree with everyone on that list being better than Reina. On a side note, I ate in his resturant in Liverpool there last week. Its muck!

who was the first team in the EPL to score 100 goals in all competitions this season

yeah, defensive liverpool

more , unsubstantiated, drivel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Friedel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Cech
    Reina, IMO, is easily a match for Cech, although not at the same level as Casillas and Buffon. Reina is much more than just a shot-stopper, he is extremely quick off his line and almost plays as a sweeper, which allows Liverpool's defence to hold a high line while not being particularly quick.

Schmeichel was a true great, I think Ollie Kahn in his prime was just as good. Cech looked very promising until his head injury, he now looks prone to concentration lapses and there are question marks over his bravery.

I think Friedel has been the best and most consistent keeper in the PL over the last couple of years, I would be surprised if none of the big clubs are looking at him this summer.

I'd rate Buffon ahead of Casillas, just, but they are well ahead of everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cech
    Where are people pulling this "Buffon has gone down hill" rubbish from?

The man is the omst consistant player in world football.

He never fu*cks up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ROFL take off them green and white glasses will you?

Good keeper? Yes. Better than Buffon/Casillas? Hell no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

You would rate Casillias and James on the same par! The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Has to be Bouffon!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never understood why Van Der Sar, no matter what he does, no matter what he wins, is consistently overlooked in the list of top keepers. Mind you, he's no Buffon, but I'd much rather have him than Reina or, probably, Cech.
    Friedel is also an immense keeper, has been since he left Liverpool.

Casillias & James i'd rate on the same par.

That may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I dont understand why Van der Sar isnt being mentioned.Hes a brilliant keeper.Hes miles better than Reina anyway.Same level as Cech.Casillas and Buffon are perhaps marginally better.

But the best keeper in the world would have to be either Boruc or Akinfeev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can't believe Boruc isn't in the poll either.

Yes, I'm a Celtic supporter, but the flip side of that I see him more often than most people and have to say, bias aside, he's immense.

Has save Celtic so many times. But more importantly, he's consistent.

Already has been named by many journalists as goalkeeper of the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Casillas but I would have Boruc there too!

titan18 wrote: »
    I dont understand why Van der Sar isnt being mentioned.Hes a brilliant keeper.Hes miles better than Reina anyway.Same level as Cech.Casillas and Buffon are perhaps marginally better.

But the best keeper in the world would have to be either Boruc or Akinfeev

van der sar is miles better than reina :D pull the other one,

who has won the golden gloves in the last 3 years :cool:

• Advertisement

van der sar is miles better than reina :D pull the other one,

who has won the golden gloves in the last 3 years :cool:

Cech and Van der Sar have been out injured for parts of the season.Chelsea and Manchester United have more clean sheets than Liverpool.Cech and Van der Sar have conceded less than Reina.

Also,Reina makes a lot of errors and Van der Sar's ability to get the ball out quicky and accurately is a huge part of United's counter attack.

There are less shots on Reina than any other keeper in the league aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

There are less shots on Reina than any other keeper in the league aswell

Exactly,he saves them.Whatever about being the best keeper,he is the best shot stopper in the pl.

ok read it again

THE LAST 3 YEARS

you can explain away one not three

all 3 keepers have made horrendous errors over the past 3 years at different points

and reinas distribution is as good if not better than VDS

dc69 wrote: »
    Exactly,he saves them.Whatever about being the best keeper,he is the best shot stopper in the pl.

Ya,and Van der Sar and Cech,who have had more shots on them,and conceded less,dont save theirs.Given,Friedel and James are better shot stoppers than Reina.

The only time that Liverpool has better stats than Chelsea is Clean Sheets 3 seasons ago.They beat United in clean sheets and goals conceded in that season and that is all.

Last season Van der Sar saved 80% of shots on him.The highest in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Cech
    I've never understood why Van Der Sar, no matter what he does, no matter what he wins, is consistently overlooked in the list of top keepers.

One of the reasons that he is overlooked is that he was shocking at Juve and his replacement is considered the best. In Europe, Italy especially, his reputation has never recovered

Ya,and Van der Sar and Cech,who have had more shots on them,and conceded less,dont save theirs.Given,Friedel and James are better shot stoppers than Reina.

The only time that Liverpool has better stats than Chelsea is Clean Sheets 3 seasons ago.They beat United in clean sheets and goals conceded in that season and that is all.

source for reina having less shots at him over the last 3 seasons than cech and van der sar?

• Advertisement

Last season Van der Sar saved 80% of shots on him.The highest in the Premiership.

what point are you trying to make about clean sheets and goals conceded?? i dont follow at all :confused:

Reina has had more clean sheets than Cech and VDS for the past 3 seasons.

re defensive records see below

Last Season Goals conceded Lpool 28 ManU 22 Che 26
    Season before Lpool 27 ManU 27 Che 24
    Season before Lpool 25 ManU 34 Che 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I dont support Celtic or any other SPL team.

Casillias & James i'd rate on the same par.
    Buffon? lol.. he couldn't save the last pie.

Watch Borucs £14m price tag rise in the next 12 months....

How can you say that David James is a better keeper than Buffon? Don't get me wrong James is a good shot stopper but Buffon is a world cup winner who has been for 6 years now the best in the world. He fumbles one shot against the post against Spain and suddenly he's a nobody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Why is Reina even being mentioned? He's so error prone and rubbish on crosses.

what point are you trying to make about clean sheets and goals conceded?? i dont follow at all :confused:

Reina has had more clean sheets than Cech and VDS for the past 3 seasons.

re defensive records see below

Last Season Goals conceded Lpool 28 ManU 22 Che 26
    Season before Lpool 27 ManU 27 Che 24
    Season before Lpool 25 ManU 34 Che 22

So,Liverpool have conced more than United and Chelsea,except for United 3 seasons ago.I fail to see your point.

And I only said that Reina had less shots on him last year.I dont know about the other years.Theres a thread a few pages back that gives you the link

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bubs101 wrote: »
    One of the reasons that he is overlooked is that he was shocking at Juve and his replacement is considered the best. In Europe, Italy especially, his reputation has never recovered

He was far from shocking, in fairness. He had a solid, if unspectacular, couple of seasons before being jettisoned to make way for what looked like being the best keeper available for the foreseeable future. It still amazes me that he ended up at Fulham. Same with Friedel though, how he's spent so long at Blackburn is a mystery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement