Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds best keeper?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Cech
    He was far from shocking, in fairness. He had a solid, if unspectacular, couple of seasons before being jettisoned to make way for what looked like being the best keeper available for the foreseeable future. It still amazes me that he ended up at Fulham. Same with Friedel though, how he's spent so long at Blackburn is a mystery.

He was crap for us. Blundered all over the place and lost us 1 title at the very least single handedly. There is a reason he ended up at Fulham of all places, and it wasn't because he wanted a staff discount at Harrods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

titan18 wrote: »
    So,Liverpool have conced more than United and Chelsea,except for United 3 seasons ago.I fail to see your point.

And I only said that Reina had less shots on him last year.I dont know about the other years.Theres a thread a few pages back that gives you the link

i wasnt making a point i posted it for reference, you posted some half ass post about goals conceded and clean sheets i didnt know what you were on about.

if you are making statements, back them up with facts, if not why should anyone believe you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cyrus wrote: »
    i wasnt making a point i posted it for reference, you posted some half ass post about goals conceded and clean sheets i didnt know what you were on about.

if you are making statements, back them up with facts, if not why should anyone believe you

All you have to do is look at the Premiership stats table.But ya,I should have posted the stats and shown how Reina isnt better than Van der Sar or Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't make up my mind! they are all so good.
    VDS has always been amazing, but he's a choker. That's why he couldn't make it at Juve. He's shown signs of it for United too to be honest. Like when he just parried away that goal in the CL 2 years ago. Still, he's really up there, and has been the best keeper in the league this year, pretty much no mistakes and some amazing saves.

Casillas however has taken being a one man defence to a new level.
    Maybe Cech, VDS and REina don't have much to deal with, but Casillas does, and makes more and more amazing saves than James or Given easily.

It's easy to be amazing when the shots are always coming at you, it's the one save a match that is the only thing you do but still amazing that seperates a good keeper from a great keeper imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Where is the 'Gregory Coupet' option in this thread? He's consistently been one of the top keepers in Europe every season, its no conincidence that Lyon have won the last seven league titles in France with him in goal. Its a disgrace that he had to play second fiddle to that clown Barthez for the best part of 5 years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Coupet is a mediocre keeper who rarely makes anything beyond bread-and-butter stops and shouldn't even be in the top three keepers in France.
    Frey is currently the form keeper, but if he keeps going the way he's started Mandanda will be one of the world's best in a couple of years.

Fair dues to Coupet for this effort though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The only two great goalkeepers in the world is Buffon and Casillas. End of.

Other good goalkeepers who are good would be the likes of VDS, Cech and maybe Reina.

Don't rate Reina as highly as the other four though. Cech had the potential before that head injury but is a lot more error prone now.

Saying Boruc is the best in the world is laughable. He's a fantastic shot stopper but that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Reina is better than Cech since his head injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

How about Tottenham's new keeper Gomez? He was certainly regarded by the PSV fans as the best in the world and if you look at his record it is unbelievable (from his Wikipedia)-

He held a clean sheet in 60 percent of his Eredivisie-matches. No other goalie has ever achieved that. In his first season, Gomes didn't concede a goal in 971 minutes. In the same season, Gomes had an another goalless streak. This time he didn't concede a goal in 817 minutes. In his third season, 2006-2007, he had again a notable streak. Gomes didn't concede in 956 minutes, which eventually played a huge part in PSV's surprise championship title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

hotspur wrote: »
    How about Tottenham's new keeper Gomez? He was certainly regarded by the PSV fans as the best in the world and if you look at his record it is unbelievable (from his Wikipedia)-

He held a clean sheet in 60 percent of his Eredivisie-matches. No other goalie has ever achieved that. In his first season, Gomes didn't concede a goal in 971 minutes. In the same season, Gomes had an another goalless streak. This time he didn't concede a goal in 817 minutes. In his third season, 2006-2007, he had again a notable streak. Gomes didn't concede in 956 minutes, which eventually played a huge part in PSV's surprise championship title

No.

Just No.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd like to see Akinfeev more regularly, I like his style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It can be very hard to gauge who actually is the top goalkeeper in the world because some play in better defences than others. That is why I would have Casillas as number one because how bad Madrid's defence has always been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Dean Delaney.

Advertisement