Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hows it going,

I was involved in cycling years ago (about 10 years ago!!!) looking to get back into it, fitness first and see how it goes before trying to get into racing.

Just looking for advice on what sort of bike (road) to get, budget up to 1000 euro and where is the best place to buy and get checked out for correct size etc.

One other thing, have had real problems with my knees over the years so is there any advice on how to get back into cycling without doing any damage?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

antomagoo wrote: »
    Hows it going,

I was involved in cycling years ago (about 10 years ago!!!) looking to get back into it, fitness first and see how it goes before trying to get into racing.

Just looking for advice on what sort of bike (road) to get, budget up to 1000 euro and where is the best place to buy and get checked out for correct size etc.

One other thing, have had real problems with my knees over the years so is there any advice on how to get back into cycling without doing any damage?

Cheers

Well, I just spent about that sum on a Focus Variado Expert, and it's worth every penny, and quite a few more!

I also have a history of knee problems, but so far have been ok in the saddle, but ymmv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Try the following sites for offers

www.wiggle.co.uk
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/

I just ordered a 2007 Giant SCR C3 from Wiggle. It was €900 cheaper than going to Cyclesuperstore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

i just checked that giant out on wiggle,wow whats that all about,thats some price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I know, they have the exact same bike in Cyclesuperstore. Wiggle have it reduced as it's the 2007 model and bikes are alot cheaper over there in the first place.

I'm all for supporting your lbs but not with that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Hows it going,

Cheers

Have to agree with Tiny re: Focus. Great value, also look at last years Cayo 2007 model.
    Regarding size you will get lots of info on any of the bike sites. Wiggle give good guidance. You didn't mention your height?
    Regarding knee problems I can empathise as I could write the book!
    Check the usual:
    Saddle too high pain at back of knee
    Saddle too low anterior knee pain
    Position of cleat on shoe in relation to pedal axis.
    Alignnment of foot with pedal Anterior and lateral knee pain
    Cranks too long ( generally if you have knee problems it is recommended that you use 170mm cranks as they reduce the anlgle of flex on your knee joint. These tend to be standard on bikes 52cm or less. Larger frames use 172.5 or 175)
    Relative position of knee to centre axle of pedal on downstroke.
    Make sure you have cleats with some degree of float but my guess is its a combination of some of the above problems. Lots of sites will give details on any of the above knee problems. Some people have to have orthotics ( shoe inserts) professionally made to correct the knee angle.
    Remember use small chainring and keep the cadence high for the first 1000 km to let those knees and muscles gradually ease in. Don't be tempted out with a group of "pros" as when you hit the first hill all hell breaks loose and you won't be able to resist!! So my advice is cycle the first 1000 Km on your own or with similar partner and build a good base. Good luck with the purchase. The UK online is a no brainer. we were being screwed with prices for too long here.PM me if you need any specifics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I've pretty much decided to go for the Focus Variado Expert on wiggle, but was just wondering has anyone got advice on frame size. I'm 6' 3" and inside leg is 36" this gives a frame size XXL/60 on wiggles site.

Should I go ahead with this, get a size smaller to be on the safe side or go get measured up properly, I know cyclesuperstor have a service but it costs 60 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've pretty much decided to go for the Focus Variado Expert on wiggle, but was just wondering has anyone got advice on frame size. I'm 6' 3" and inside leg is 36" this gives a frame size XXL/60 on wiggles site.

Should I go ahead with this, get a size smaller to be on the safe side or go get measured up properly, I know cyclesuperstor have a service but it costs 60 quid

I'm a shade under 6'3" and I'm on a 58. Fits me perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I went with wiggle's recommendations on the Variado Expert, which put me in a 56, and it's perfect. Niceonetom has the same inside leg as me (32") and is on a 58, so there's some leeway. I'd say the 60 will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm 6ft on a 58 (Focus Cayo.) Thought it was _ever_ so slightly too big but reckon that is sorted with saddle adjustments. Would imagine 60cm would be fine for 6ft3.

Advertisement