Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis?

Options
  • 28-04-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried hypnosis to give up cigs? I'm willing to try anything at this stage. I used up all my will power the first time I gave up! (2yrs off them, 8 months back on them) :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes, I gave up almost four years ago with hypnotherapy, and have found it excellent. From the poll above about what helped people give up, it doesn't appear very popular, and I don't know what the success rate is. (at a guess, I'd say low, I know more people who it didn't work for than people who it did work for).
    The thing I know is that it worked for me and I'm chuffed; best €200 I ever spent. (about €400 now I think).
    If you'd like the details of the place I used, PM me and I'll send them to you.
    Good luck getting off the smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I've booked a session... it's not til next week but I'll let you know how I get it. It's expensive alright but cigarettes will cost me more in the long term.
    Fingers crossed it works though!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 _chloe_

I'm thinking of going trying it too. Recently I started a new job and only get two smoke breaks all day and my landlord doesn't allow smoking so I've cut down lots! I was smoking up to 70 a day, now only about 15-20! I'm still craving them a lot and when I can, like on weekends etc. I still smoke a lot so I might just try the hypnosis.

Best of luck with it YogiBear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

My session is tonight! I'm feeling really positive about it! I went last week to meet him etc. I'll keep ye posted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hypnosis is actually rated as the best way to quit. In fact, Alan Carr himself used Hypnosis himself to help kick the habit and some of what is said in his book are techniques used in Hypnosis. The Alan Carr section in the poll should be included in Hypnosis as the book uses hypnotic suggestions to help people quit. But it only works for those who actually want to quit smoking. As someone who has a big interest and who has studied hypnosis and been hypnotised successfully for weight loss I would definitely recommend it. Ireland is young when it comes to Hypnotists and there is much catching up to do. Here are a few addresses I would recommend viewing.

www.modernhypnosis.net

www.irishhypnotists.com

www.irishhypnosis.com

www.ngh.net

The first three are irish companies and can provide free referrals to QUALIFIED AND CERTIFIED HYPNOTISTS.

Too many hypnotists have opened up a practice with little or no real training often consisting of a single weekend course. Do your research and make sure you actually want to reach a goal rather than thinking you should. It's a waste of money if the latter is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I went to a hypnotist on wednesday evening.
    So far so good its not a magic cure but this is the longest ive ever been off them.
    Still getting cravings but only last a few minutes.
    Three of us went and all doing well.

Anyone wants any information on who i went to pm me hes in the midlands.And a lot cheaper than figures that are being mentioned on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hypnosis will reinforce the decision you've made to give up smoking - the more your hypnotised the deeper the reinforcement - hypnosis is a good aid in the effort!! I myself used a hypnosis cd to help in successfully giving them up 5 years ago!!
    Thing i used to do for cravings was some deep breathing - seemed to work a treat!!
    good luck with your efforts

:)

A whole month off them longest i have ever been off them.

Would definitly recommend to anybody thinking of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 alottodo

Didn't work for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

YogiBear wrote: »
    My session is tonight! I'm feeling really positive about it! I went last week to meet him etc. I'll keep ye posted! :)

Well Yogi how did you get on?

• Advertisement

Listen Yogi I thought it was all ****e but here i am ten weeks tomorrow i really cant believe it.

I no more wanted to give up the fags than the man in the moon but im happy now.

Your not gonna save a fortune i actually think im loosin money :D but you will feel 300 times better in yourself.

PM me if you want my number and we will all get through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Can someone give me details of a good one around Naas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭GalwayDub2

I'm going this evening for my first session, its to do with being afraid of flying though, which is causing me to have small panic attacks and anxiety. Hopefully it will work, I'm not very good at relaxing, especially when someone tells me to, does it take long to get totally relaxed for the session to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!! Don't know how long it will take to relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭GalwayDub2

Hopefully it wont take too long, otherwise I'll end up getting stressed at not being able to relax!!:eek: Will be back tommorrow to let you know how it goes..if I can. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rogerwillson

yes it can work but it takes time. I did it to get more energy and also to hate the taste of pop. (my main weakness) It worked great for 6 months but than I had a major family problem and I did not keep up listening to the relaxing tape and I converted back to the lazy ways.
    Make sure when you do it that they supply a personalized take home CD or tape. A generic one will work but it is nicer when they build it around you.

Resources-
    Hypnosis
    Videos on Hypnosis
    Quit Smoking Hypnosis

Cheers
    Roger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I went for hypnosis on Saturday and I feel fine! Im on day 4 now and I can't believe I would have smoked about 4 cigarettes already since about 7.30. This morning when I woke up I noticed that my breath was normal and not as foul as it would have been from the cigarettes. I also woke at 6.30 this morning with alot of energy! I couldnt believe it.

I'm 24. I was smoking since I was in my early teens. When I tried to quit before, I couldnt cope with the cravings, I would give in. The last few days I have only noticed about 5 cravings, and I chewed some gum. That was really only yesterday, I feel grand today. I was sceptical about hypnosis, but I actually dont want to smoke, just dont feel like it.

Im all for hypnosis, if they addiction is based in the mind, go get it done and live your life without an addiction. I just feel that if some people can agonizingly quit alcohol or hard drugs, then surely I can quit nictotine?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Listen Yogi I thought it was all ****e but here i am ten weeks tomorrow i really cant believe it.

I no more wanted to give up the fags than the man in the moon but im happy now.

Your not gonna save a fortune i actually think im loosin money :D but you will feel 300 times better in yourself.

PM me if you want my number and we will all get through this.

how didnt it save you money? unless you were a very very light smoker before i dont see how this is possible!

my aunt and uncle save £100 a week between them after quitin through hypnosis, thats over 5000 a year. id call that a small fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

Whats the going rate for hypnosis these days? Seeing as most of us are buying our smokes a lot cheaper ( illegally though ) these days, and with the recession etc , have any of the hypnotherapists dropped their prices?

I got it done About a year and a half ago for €180 still off them so it was money well spent for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

I got it done About a year and a half ago for €180 still off them so it was money well spent for me.

Where ya get it done?

Your man Cobb in Longford couldnt recomend him enough three of us went to him one fella went back on them after a month.

The other two of us are still off them and the other fella went back to him about three months ago and is still off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Did'nt work for me at all..He couldnt hypnotize me at all..he basically blamed me saying I couldnt relax.. I smoked a cigarette when driving away..A scam I say unless you are really determined and strong minded in which case save the e200 and just quit..I did find Allen Carrs book better and gave up for a week..my longest ever in almost 20yrs..but at heart..no pun intended I do find comfort in smoking and f**k life is short enough anyway..Its pressure from co-workers/doctors and the media that forces you to give up..
    Anyone tried the eCigarettes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I just want to add my support for hypnosis. I'd been smoking for about 8 years, 20 a day, and had tried everything: patches, gum, cold turkey, Allen Carr (both books). The longest I'd ever quit for was 4 days and it was always torturous.

I went to a hypnotherapist about 2 months ago, had one 1hour session, $150 (Australian). I left a nearly full packet of cigarettes there and haven't looked back since. She gave me a CD to take home and a free booster session a week later but I didn't need either!

I can't pinpoint exactly why it worked or what she did but I've had very few cravings and they've been very mild, no withdrawl symptoms, no boredom, no moodiness and even drinking in a beer garden is no temptation for me.

I can't believe how easy it's been when it was so damn hard the other times I tried. It's like she turned off the smoking switch inside my brain. I always thought it was a mostly psychological addiction and I was right.

I'd recommend to anyone to give hypnosis a go. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing, at least you tried. If it does work, fantastic!

Advertisement