Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Rack

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

macmurchu wrote: »
    I have a Thule roof rack on a Passat. Jesus the noise. Anything above 70mph and you're straining to hear someone talk

I've the square bars with pip insulation for padding and I've never had a problem. What bars do you have? What's making the noise the rack or your straps?

are you looping the straps around the bard close to the board (as you should be) or at the ends where they make load of noise and could slip off, I've seen this done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

macmurchu wrote: »
    I have a Thule roof rack on a Passat. Jesus the noise. Anything above 70mph and you're straining to hear someone talk

If the noise is from vibrating straps (which I think it more likely than from whistling bars) then put a twist in them to stop them from doing so* (i.e. don't have them lying flat against the board).

If the noise is caused by whistling bars, then experimenting with their positioning may fix the problem.

(*a friend of mine who knows about these things told me that doing this is not a good idea as it adversely affects the strength of the straps. Just a warning).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 macmurchu

It's entirely the bars (square ones on mine) cos this happens all the time and they're empty more often than not. I have the grey foamy pipe lagging cable-tied onto the bars. When I first put the rack on I thought I'd reduce the noise by adding the foam but it just made it lower pitch. Then my girlfriend and I thought we'd make a fortune by designing quiet ones in a wind tunnel. Until I googled it to see if they already exist... We have music on all the time and chat in the car on 3hour trips to the west coast and the noise (of the roof rack and not the girl!) is such a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

just get the aero bars so. i had them on a car before and have them on the jeep now - never any noise out of them, even with a few boards up there's hardly any noise. those square ones look terrible as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

My Thule roof rack on a Land Cruiser makes noise when there are no pads on it, but as soon as I put on the pads the noise almost stops. I usually take the pads off so that they don't get robbed, and when I am going on a long journey, without my gear I put the pads on. When I actually put my boards up there it is completely quiet, strange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement