Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven for the sack???

• 28-04-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Have read on a Spurs forum that Sky are reporting two papers (one the Sun admittedly) are running with a story that SGE will be sacked at the end of the season.

No idea why or anything, but bizarre if true.

Think he's done an alright job considering the time he had to prepare pre-season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I think thats just stupid rumour,i dont believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would be pure ludicrous tbh, but wouldn't be shocked, the new owner does seem a dodgy character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Who yous reckon they could get IF it were to happen?

No big names spring to mind, maybe Martin Jol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Imagine they'd look abroad to be honest, maybe Koeman? Rijkaard might be out of work in the summer as well.

I just wonder would the likes of rijkaard be interested in city. Koeman would be a good shout alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

dont see it hapening tbh.

side note: cant wait for Bojinov next season.

hopfully he'll be great for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

can't wait to see bojinov play either, seen him a few times at juve last season and he was great but deschamps never played him much! and then they got Iaquinta and didn't opt to buy him from the Viola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

*sigh*

If I hear another Sven rumour I'm gonna hit somebody. I've just read most of the articles available online. Quotes from anybody connected to the club on Sven leaving? None.

As I said in another thread last week, the transfer window is closed so the media need to shit stir with something. They've picked up on a poor 45 minutes from Saturday and are putting 2 + 2 together to equal 5.

As for whoever mentioned Koeman, yeah great shout alright. Get the man in who's got Valencia threatened with relegation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Cant realistically see it happening. True they have had a disappointing end to the season, but at the same time he had them playing good stuff for large parts of it. They have a good platform to build on for next season as long as they can keep the likes of Dunne and Richards (whos absence would not have helped them at all) they should be stronger next season.
    They wont sack him anyways 'cos they'll have to pay him off too much. better off pay him for another years work and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

for what he has done for them this season overall i think its a rediculously ludicrous idea! typcal-few poor games-BLAME THE MANAGER! even tho after the double over utd they wer ready to canonise him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They've taken 6 points from the last 12, while United have taken 5.

It's a case of making up rumours, putting these rumours to Sven, get him to deny them, then you've got the "SVEN: I WONT QUIT" headlines...

It's not like the English media to get a man sacked is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

zAbbo wrote: »

It's not like the English media to get a man sacked is it?

maybe they have finally given up on trying to get Rafa out? yeah....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hard to believe really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    *sigh*

If I hear another Sven rumour I'm gonna hit somebody. I've just read most of the articles available online. Quotes from anybody connected to the club on Sven leaving? None.

As I said in another thread last week, the transfer window is closed so the media need to shit stir with something. They've picked up on a poor 45 minutes from Saturday and are putting 2 + 2 together to equal 5.

As for whoever mentioned Koeman, yeah great shout alright. Get the man in who's got Valencia threatened with relegation :rolleyes:
    Come on Xavi, its all well and good waiting for official confirmation but its plainly obvious at this stage that Sven is on his way out. He's been shafted if you ask me. City have done well considering they've played the majority of the season without a top striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pighead wrote: »
    Come on Xavi, its all well and good waiting for official confirmation but its plainly obvious at this stage that Sven is on his way out. He's been shafted if you ask me. City have done well considering they've played the majority of the season without a top striker.

Agree, believe he is being shafted...there is just something about these rumours recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

City could never replace him with a better manager so I don't know why they would sack him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7370698.stm

Sven-Goran Eriksson has been told he will be sacked as Manchester City manager at the end of the season, BBC Sport understands.

City owner Thaksin Shinawatra told Eriksson he was "not the right man for the job" at a meeting on Saturday, a source close to the Swede said.

Eriksson informed the players at training on Monday that he would be dismissed, provoking an angry response.

Shinawatra has been unhappy with City's results since the turn of the year.

More to follow.

So, it is top 4 or the sack for any City manager - tough ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Its looking likely, Svens agent was just on SSN and he said that he expects Sven to get the sack, thats only his opinion, he said that the fact there was no signal of support from the chairman at this stage meant its likely he will be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Considering how well City did at the start of the season, you'd wonder where it all went wrong for Sven. I suppose not having the best continuity up front didn't help... Still, was it him that signed Petrov and Elano?

I'm a firm believer that only in the direst circumstances should a manager get sacked before a year is out. And City's situation isn't that bad. Sure, they've had a bad 2nd half of season, but ... At least give him 2 seasons to try and get something going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Absolutely ridiculous. If I was a city fan I would be livid.

Shinawatra may turn them into another Newcastle..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He must have someone really, really good lined up.

wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shinawatra has ovbiously been reading how to run your club like Newcastle United.

I was at City's last game at home last season, where traditionally they do a lap of the pitch to thank the fans for their support.

Half the players went to the dressing room the other half nervously hussled to the centre circle applauding the fans in a apologitic way.

Although I'm a United supporter, that will be one of my abiding memories of football - it was embarrasing and pathetic. City are a huge club, with a fantastic stadium, facilities and setup. It was sad.

Sinawatra needs to keep away from the media and just give Sven the 50 million or so he needs, because whatever people think of him he has a fantastic record as a club manager, and looking at England now his tenure there doesn't seem as bad.

But then there is usually no smoke without fire, I would read more into Dunne wanting/ having to leave, he is idolised there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

ffs. Its an embarassment. You have to be good be a player, you need badges now to be a manager but any muppet with a few ill gotten millions can be an owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

what a disgrace if this is true

So a new manager comes in, with a big purse, and proceeds to buy another 5-6 players.

Instant success!

ffs. Its an embarassment. You have to be good be a player, you need badges now to be a manager but any muppet with a few ill gotten millions can be an owner.

well said.
    its crazy that he should be given the sack. What a load of dung.

They have the best home record outside the top 4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

zAbbo wrote: »
    So a new manager comes in, with a big purse, and proceeds to buy another 5-6 players.

Instant success!
    Maybe.

Depends on the quality of players brought in.

Sven in a recent interview refused to be drawn on the topic but you could tell from him demeanour that he would be going at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

gucci wrote: »
    well said.
    its crazy that he should be given the sack. What a load of dung.
    +1

Look at Chelsea

Grant will be sacked even if they win the double!

Grant will be sacked even if they win the double!
    Maybe the special one is going to take over Man City? :D

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    Maybe the special one is going to take over Man City? :D
    Now that would be some coup! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Crazy carry on tbh. He should have been left alone in the role. Can't wait to see who they bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Unbelievable really. What does Shinawatra expect from Sven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

BBC reporting it is unusual, it suggests that there may be a bit of truth to it at least. Still until he goes I'd be surprised.

Sorry Pighead but I've been a City fan way to long to believe everything I read in the press. I prefer to wait until it's official before I start crying foul.
    NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Considering how well City did at the start of the season, you'd wonder where it all went wrong for Sven. I suppose not having the best continuity up front didn't help... Still, was it him that signed Petrov and Elano?

I'm a firm believer that only in the direst circumstances should a manager get sacked before a year is out. And City's situation isn't that bad. Sure, they've had a bad 2nd half of season, but ... At least give him 2 seasons to try and get something going.

Bad second half of the season in comparison to what? The first half of the season? Or the second half of last season where we didn't score a goal at home? We had an unbelievable first half and an average second half i.e. good all round.

Sven has done an unbelievable job at the club and if he does go he will be forever loved by the fans, unlike most of his predecessors.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Shinawatra has ovbiously been reading how to run your club like Newcastle United.

I was at City's last game at home last season, where traditionally they do a lap of the pitch to thank the fans for their support.

Half the players went to the dressing room the other half nervously hussled to the centre circle applauding the fans in a apologitic way.

To be fair, from pics I've seen and what I've read, this year's wasn't much different.

The problem I have is that I KNOW Frank is going to shaft us. Whether in 18 months or 5 years he's not going to hang around, especially when we don't have instant success. I predicted a few months ago on another site that we would end up another Leeds and I stand by that unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I heard this on Ireland AM this morning and i am APPALED by this... the man hasn't been there long enough to warrant this BS. Man City don't have a squad like United/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal.....

If he sacks him, who would take over?

maybe Mourinho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

My money is on Big Sam

Between the Russian's antics at Chelsea and now this I hope it highlights the dangers of attracting sugar daddies to your club.

Between the Russian's antics at Chelsea and now this I hope it highlights the dangers of attracting sugar daddies to your club.

It wasn't a foreign sugar daddy that screwed Leeds.

And anyway, with regard to our situation, what were we meant to do? A guy comes in offering to clear our £80 million debt while enhancing the squad and we should say "Eh no sorry we'll leave it"? It's a catch 22 situation. With his money we might be screwed alright but without it we'd be just as worse off.

It wasn't a foreign sugar daddy that screwed Leeds.

Only mention of nationality was to reference the current owner of Chelsea. They come in all shapes and sizes.
    And anyway, with regard to our situation, what were we meant to do? A guy comes in offering to clear our £80 million debt while enhancing the squad and we should say "Eh no sorry we'll leave it"? It's a catch 22 situation. With his money we might be screwed alright but without it we'd be just as worse off.

And Chelsea were on the brink of collapse before Roman rode in on is white steed.

The cautionary tale is more for others benefit, a lot of people assume that an influx of money from some rich tycoon will turn their fortunes around. The reality is often much different.

By your own admission, if your boy fcuks off you'll be in bad shape. If Roman walks away from Chelsea they'll likely go under.

Yes but we were likely to go under even before Frank and his millions. Sure we don't even own a stadium as collateral!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I won't miss those Man City Blue spectacles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Murinho is defo gona go to city imo

^ Lol.

dc69 wrote: »
    Murinho is defo gona go to city imo
    I'll bet you a €100 he won't if you'd like? Easy money for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I'll bet you a €100 he won't if you'd like? Easy money for you.

why wouldnt he?

he said before he likes a challenge and when chelsea approached him he said he felt Liverpool was a better challenge as there were no unlimited resources.I think its a very real possibility he could go to city.

dc69 wrote: »
    why wouldnt he?

he said before he likes a challenge and when chelsea approached him he said he felt Liverpool was a better challenge as there were no unlimited resources.I think its a very real possibility he could go to city.
    Excellent. Bet accepted.

Fair play dc69. Right obviously there has to be a time limit otherwise technically the bet could run forever. Pigheads gonna be generous here and give you til June.

Good luck buddy, may the best gambler win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Bye bye Sven. Allardyce to City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

kinaldo wrote: »
    Bye bye Sven. Allardyce to City!

I've always had a soft spot for City (think becasue of Rösler) so I wouldn't wish that fate on them.Your good self Kin should know better than anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement